• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A new card for up to £400

Associate
Hi guys,

I'm getting back in to PC gaming so want to upgrade my graphics card. I'm only likely to play at 1080p for the time being but future proofing wont hurt either.

As for games, well, I'm open to anything. I like Destiny, Battlefield, Tomb Raider etc.

I've been recommended by a work colleague that the Nvidia cars offer the best bang for buck but that could be pie in the sky.

One potential problem is that I only have a500w PSU but would be willing to upgrade to a silent modular one if the price is right.

Thoughts?

Appreciate any help on this.

THanks

Soldato
Don't laugh... I have a Radeon HD6870 and an Akasa AK-P050FG7 500 watt :)

BB CODE
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £346.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £416.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)

7yr warranty on PSU so set for a while, could push 650w version with gtx1660s list for more future proofing with power​

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm getting back in to PC gaming so want to upgrade my graphics card. I'm only likely to play at 1080p for the time being but future proofing wont hurt either.

As for games, well, I'm open to anything. I like Destiny, Battlefield, Tomb Raider etc.

I've been recommended by a work colleague that the Nvidia cars offer the best bang for buck but that could be pie in the sky.

One potential problem is that I only have a500w PSU but would be willing to upgrade to a silent modular one if the price is right.

Thoughts?

Appreciate any help on this.

THanks

It is pie in the sky, the reverse is true. If you're looking for value then AMD is the way to go. But buying a card is weighing everything up and making the choice that's best for you whether that's AMD or NV.

Associate
OP
It is pie in the sky, the reverse is true. If you're looking for value then AMD is the way to go. But buying a card is weighing everything up and making the choice that's best for you whether that's AMD or NV.

Thanks for the comment.

I get that its all about preference but what would you consider to be the pro's for Nvidia? I read a lot about ray tracing in the nvidia cards (even though it has limited support in games) but does AMD have an equivalent?

Dont know if you guys use this website: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060S-Super-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/4049vs4045

But that comparison shows marginal differences between the 5700Xt and the 2060 super apart from MRender.... how often will I use that?!

Soldato
Thanks for the comment.

I get that its all about preference but what would you consider to be the pro's for Nvidia? I read a lot about ray tracing in the nvidia cards (even though it has limited support in games) but does AMD have an equivalent?

Dont know if you guys use this website: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060S-Super-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/4049vs4045

But that comparison shows marginal differences between the 5700Xt and the 2060 super apart from MRender.... how often will I use that?!

IMO you’d be better off with a good 5700XT over a 2060S. The 5700XT easily beats a 2060S and in most cases nearly matches a 2070S and they overclock very well too.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ew/1931-radeon-5700-xt-vs-geforce-2060-super/

Soldato
Thanks for that. In the real world, where does the 1660 super and the RX 5700Xt sit against the 2060?

GTX 1660S > RTX 2060 > RX 5700 > RTX 2060S > RTX 2070 > RX 5700 XT > RX 2070S

reason why they released Super versions as XT and NON XT were beating or equal to non super 2060/70 versions.

its not as black and white as above as some games will have AMD leading and vise versa

just seems AMD having Driver issues and UE4, also needs more power- specially with overclocked intels

Soldato
I would not be getting a 6GB card for over £200 if you keep your graphics cards for a longtime OP.

In terms of what I would look at getting:
1.)RX5700 non-XT
2.)RX5700XT
3.)RTX2060 Super
4.)RTX2070

If you want to get a cheaper upgrade,a GTX1660 Super if it is under £200,or an RX570 8GB which can be had for £120ish new,or well under £100 if you look for Sapphire Refurbished graphics cards.

Soldato
To back-up what Cat' says, you should be looking at a 8GB card as a minimum for future playability, anything less will be RAM limited within a couple of years.

If it was me I'd go for a RX5700XT, but I am a bit biased towards AMD, but they do seem to be best 'bang-for-buck' at the moment. Raytracing is not really good enough yet, and that I mean the hardware is not powerful enough for full screen ray-tracing for another generation or two.

You may be CPU limited but I don't really know by how much.

Back
Top Bottom