Road Cycling

Soldato
I added mine to my house insurance (John Lewis) and I think it went up around £250/£300 a year, but that's with about 3 bikes on it now. When I did have a bike stolen last year, they were very good and very quick. I had a voucher for a new bike within about 3-5 days I think it was.

Soldato
Edit : ordered 3 elite race plus cages in black for £26. :o

I'm riding solo at the moment but a few of us are challenging each other on a segment, my mate made this one.

Https://strava.app.link/05nCmcYyh5

I'm first this year so I get to make the next one.

Managed to still do a PR up the climb after smashing the 10 miles up to it. Same mate did 360w for 10.09 and I did 9.01 and we're practically the same weight.

The KOM for it is from the Anderside classic road race that attracts the best in Britain so never getting that.
The Elite resin cages? Have to say I like my matt black ones. I have ended up with 6 of them so every bike has them!

Nice times and good fun on a segment solo yet able to compete and compare with friends is good, but make sure low risk/be careful!

One of the clubs here started similar rather than a weekly club ride, a weekly segment competition, but they stopped it after 1 week as determined it was too risky...

Home insurance or dedicated bike insurance? Who are people using?
Had ours with home insurance, think previously with sun alliance and now axxa, most expensive bike named at value (my Diverge at £1750) and never more than +£25/30 a year over the usual home & contents. But that's near cost price as my other half works as an insurance broker. Covers any leisure riding/sportives but no racing or holiday cover. Covered away from home in the UK, at work with a lock and at home unlocked providing it's behind a locked door. But I live in one of the lowest risk bands with my postcode which helps a huge amount.

Soldato
The Elite resin cages? Have to say I like my matt black ones. I have ended up with 6 of them so every bike has them!

Nice times and good fun on a segment solo yet able to compete and compare with friends is good, but make sure low risk/be careful!

One of the clubs here started similar rather than a weekly club ride, a weekly segment competition, but they stopped it after 1 week as determined it was too risky...

Had ours with home insurance, think previously with sun alliance and now axxa, most expensive bike named at value (my Diverge at £1750) and never more than +£25/30 a year over the usual home & contents. But that's near cost price as my other half works as an insurance broker. Covers any leisure riding/sportives but no racing or holiday cover. Covered away from home in the UK, at work with a lock and at home unlocked providing it's behind a locked door. But I live in one of the lowest risk bands with my postcode which helps a huge amount.

Yeah just the plastic ones mate, I had the non plus ones on the Orbea. Cant complain for thr weight per £ to be honest.

I rode that segment with a chain link about to break, strava photo was because I had to stop when my chain came off as I was spinning up a wee steep section before a descent. Pushing on the flat and up climbs but no crazy descents to keep it safe.

The QC of Cannondale could take a leaf out of Cubes handbook. Isn't the first Cannondale with the joining pin being a **** up. Need to check them all going forward. I've got a small scuff down at the BB now on the first ride of an arguably expensive for the spec bike. Got a Cube Agree with the same spec for £2500 in the shop that feels every bit as solid but with good aluminium wheels over carbon.

Soldato
Home insurance or dedicated bike insurance? Who are people using?

I tried pedal cover but they were insistent on calling me repeatedly and couldn’t put things in an email, I wanted all the details for comparisons sake and to have an email chain of amendments etc, not 10 questions and a number spat out.

Not sure why but if that’s difficult, when I am trying to try and give them money then I don’t want to make a claim.

I went with Bikmo as a couple of my club mates have had really good experiences with them when it comes to handling claims. They're not cheap though, but they do cover a lot more than some household policies will (travel abroad, sportives, crashes, etc). The cover for my Bianchi is about £240 a year I think, in one of the worst areas in the country for insurance. I have it more for the crash insurance than theft tbh!

Soldato
Thanks All, John Lewis looking quite good, will probably go with them.

Insurance is difficult, what’s the insurance value of a 2009 Cervelo P3 for example. I’d estimate £3000 as that’s about what it would cost to replace with a used bike, but a new P3 would be perhaps double this on a like for like basis (disc wheel/Quarq etc).

Even new (RRP) and new (one year old or after discount) prices can be 30-40% different.

Man of Honour
Thanks All, John Lewis looking quite good, will probably go with them.

Insurance is difficult, what’s the insurance value of a 2009 Cervelo P3 for example. I’d estimate £3000 as that’s about what it would cost to replace with a used bike, but a new P3 would be perhaps double this on a like for like basis (disc wheel/Quarq etc).

Even new (RRP) and new (one year old or after discount) prices can be 30-40% different.

Having had to go through this, it depends on your insurance, too: mine was via Tesco and they simply paid for as near a replacement as they could find (Home and Contents).

Having had quotes for bike-specific insurance normally requires add-ons like posh wheels, power meters, etc., so...

Soldato
It was adding around £100-120 to the house insurance quote with JL, which is around a 50% increase.

I have more than one bike, but imagine most of the insurance cost is factored into the most expensive.

Ended up going with M&S who are through Aviva, which is who I was with last year. M&S only wanted the value of the most expensive bike whereas with JL all above 1k were named.

Soldato
@Roady thanks man :) Wee man doing very well. He's lean and long. So we have made a future GC dude.

Hope you are all keeping well and not going crazy in all of this virus lockdown BS.
I've not looked at these forums for 2 weeks now so getting annoyed at what I have probably missed (completely excluding covid related crap I mean, as no doubt the general discussion virgins on here are all in full survival/prep/end of world mode).

Soldato
Got out yesterday for a wee hour KOM hunting but can't touch the Meffman and his 2014 phone app usage :o

I'm off work and riding outside but my mrs works in a car home so shes still working her 13 hour shifts. She is just a little bit touchy on that subject.

Around here life doesn't seem that different, queue to get into a supermarket, roads are quieter and more people are out walking in the back roads.

I think London being hit hard seems to make it seem worse than it is. This is a big town and not necessary as closely hemmed in as some cities. I'm in country lanes in about 6 minutes :D

Soldato
It was adding around £100-120 to the house insurance quote with JL, which is around a 50% increase.

Would be worth seeing the cost implications of claiming on the house insurance but that is certainly a better price.

Oddly I had a dream that someone was casing the outside of my house last night. Had to check the cameras to make sure it wasn't real!

Soldato
Well the 'good' thing to come from all this is I'm no longer travelling like a mo fo, so I'm 'enjoying' being in the country and making the most of this awesome weather too.

Can't remember the last time it rained too!

It can't get my head around the traffic, or lack thereof. It's like riding around a 7am on a Sunday.......at any time of day!

Soldato
Well the 'good' thing to come from all this is I'm no longer travelling like a mo fo, so I'm 'enjoying' being in the country and making the most of this awesome weather too.

It can't get my head around the traffic, or lack thereof. It's like riding around a 7am on a Sunday.......at any time of day!

I actually thought on Wednesday it is slightly disconcerting and I was being a bit complacent with lines through corners not worrying about oncoming traffic. Had to switch my mind back on a bit! Just needs to warm up now which it looks like is happening Sunday!

Soldato

I should just be grateful for this really. We seemed to go a couple of months where it was constantly wet on the roads. Mind you, even today still there were some puddles and patches of wet. Should get dried up on Sunday and I think next week looks pretty good.

Canyon tell me it will be two or three weeks for my new front wheel and that's if everything goes okay, with the current situation. I really am tempted to buy a new set of wheels. If I did it, I would have to get better than the Reynolds I will (soon) already have... so would be expensive, but I really want to get back on the Canyon! :(

Soldato
Quick one for you gents - my new apartment has an underground carpark and a section where people are chaining up their bikes, but not a specific bike shed etc. Some of 'em are happy to chain everything up together and others have attached locks to the wall. There's an area near my space with a metal railing I can attach to.. question is, whats the best way to keep peace of mind and also know it is (mostly) secure? I've got a Hiplok Gold and was thinking of using that for the rear wheel, frame and to secure to railing - and get a D-Lock or one of the D-locks with cable to double secure and attach front wheel. Was also thinking of one of those rain cover type things just to keep it cleaner as well. Any other recommendations?

Soldato
I should just be grateful for this really. We seemed to go a couple of months where it was constantly wet on the roads. Mind you, even today still there were some puddles and patches of wet. Should get dried up on Sunday and I think next week looks pretty good.

Canyon tell me it will be two or three weeks for my new front wheel and that's if everything goes okay, with the current situation. I really am tempted to buy a new set of wheels. If I did it, I would have to get better than the Reynolds I will (soon) already have... so would be expensive, but I really want to get back on the Canyon! :(

Just buy a set of cheap wheels to keep you going while Canyon sort the front wheel then you can use them in winter etc?

Back
Top Bottom