The Rules of the Universe

RxR

RxR

Soldato
For the layman...

inequality = opportunity c.f.. Milton Friedman, econmist: "To create opportunity, create inequality".

Example:
- when the traffic lights are green in each direction simultaneously (an equality of colour state), there is no opportunity to move. Gridlock occurs. Make some lights unequal (colour: red) to provide opportunity to get anywhere.

Or Newton, Isaac:
Motion does not occur when force and counterforce are equal.

Soldato
Take care of the pennies and the pounds take care of themselves

Stayed with me from a very early age and to a degree it works. I read it as make small savings little and often and the cumulative effect of that is that you're generally a bit better off.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

These, among others, were drilled into my head

Restrictions lead to creativity not freedom. Examples being Lord of the Rings and the hobbit trilogies. LOTR Peter Jackson had restrictions in particular with money. The hobbit he had every dollar he could ever ask for and look at the difference.

Also applies to star wars

Soldato
Buy cheap, buy twice.

Yup, big believer of that one. And I've proved my wife wrong on more than one occasion when she tries to buy dirt cheap luggage, ends up breaking and buys another, ended up buying luggage almost every year. I told her off that if she put all the money together that she's wasted on luggage and bought a nice one, not only would it be nicer to use but it would last longer. She then bought a samsonite and it's lasted us over 5 years now :rolleyes:

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Restrictions lead to creativity not freedom.

I would agree with that. Since the need to adapt is constant, when one path of adaptation is blocked, adaptive momentum continues (is maintained) by pursuing other (path) means.

Adapt or die (at varying speeds) is nature's dictum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom