**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Jaybird Vista. I have them and find them great for fit, design and sound quality.

If you want the sound quality over all features the wait for the Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2, due out from tomorrow.

I have the x4s. Would you say Jaybird sound better than the Samsung? This is my suspicion but I've been looking forward to trying the Samsung's. Then this virus hit and I've heard not a peep. Mine still says sent for fulfilment.

Soldato
Jaybird Vista. I have them and find them great for fit, design and sound quality.

If you want the sound quality over all features the wait for the Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2, due out from tomorrow.
Thanks. Reviews for those sennheisers look very impressive

Soldato
Now my S20+ has gone back to Samsung, can anyone recommend an alternative Android phone with a half-decent and more natural camera? I'm looking for something that applies minimal processing to the images (no sharpening, contrast, saturation, smoothing your dog's face, or any other photo murdering techniques that the frankly awful S20+ employed).

Tempted to get an S10 on the cheap but I imagine that, given my S8+ is just about within my tolerance zone for 'enhancing' the camera images, the S10 is probably somewhere half way between the S8 and the S20.

Associate
Now my S20+ has gone back to Samsung, can anyone recommend an alternative Android phone with a half-decent and more natural camera? I'm looking for something that applies minimal processing to the images (no sharpening, contrast, saturation, smoothing your dog's face, or any other photo murdering techniques that the frankly awful S20+ employed).

Tempted to get an S10 on the cheap but I imagine that, given my S8+ is just about within my tolerance zone for 'enhancing' the camera images, the S10 is probably somewhere half way between the S8 and the S20.
Not sure what the Note 10 is like but there's one going cheap in the sales forum?

Associate

Im going to be looking at the oppo find x2 or the OP8 when that comes out.
I think im going to pass on the S20.

Soldato

all of them will, download a different camera app and it will do different processing or go pro mode.

Soldato
Now my S20+ has gone back to Samsung, can anyone recommend an alternative Android phone with a half-decent and more natural camera?

This totally depends on what you want from your phone ASIDE from the camera part of it. The Pixel 4/XL are widely-regarded as the best Android camera phones, but the devices themselves are lacking in areas where the S20 (and other phones) are strong.

OnePlus might pull something out of the hat with their 8 series phones, due in two weeks. They're generally seen to be lagging behind the very best in the camera department, but they're working on it and updating their hardware with the new phones.

Other than that, the iPhone 12 is likely to bring 120hz screens, along with a SoC that will completely dominate the SD 865 and the cameras are likely to be at least as good as anything on Android.

Soldato
all of them will, download a different camera app and it will do different processing or go pro mode.

Pro mode is a solution but as I've said before I (and I guess most) want a phone to quickly 'point and shoot' for decent results. That is not possible with the S20.

This totally depends on what you want from your phone ASIDE from the camera part of it. The Pixel 4/XL are widely-regarded as the best Android camera phones, but the devices themselves are lacking in areas where the S20 (and other phones) are strong.

OnePlus might pull something out of the hat with their 8 series phones, due in two weeks. They're generally seen to be lagging behind the very best in the camera department, but they're working on it and updating their hardware with the new phones.

Other than that, the iPhone 12 is likely to bring 120hz screens, along with a SoC that will completely dominate the SD 865 and the cameras are likely to be at least as good as anything on Android.

I'll stay on the lookout for the OnePlus.

Given Apple generally have high standards I'd be surprised if their phones suffered all the same image processing nonsense . However, I just know with this being their first foray into 5G, they will slap an even more obscene price tag on it. I believe they'll still do this despite the fact a huge portion of their fans and consumers generally will be financially squeezed following COVID-19.

Soldato
However, I just know with this being their first foray into 5G, they will slap an even more obscene price tag on it. I believe they'll still do this despite the fact a huge portion of their fans and consumers generally will be financially squeezed following COVID-19.

Absolutely they will!

Bear in mind you just spent a thousand quid on an S20+ (less whatever cashback you might have got) which isn't a world away from the current top-spec iphones. The 12 Pro or Max will probably end up with 128Gb base storage this year (since Apple doubled the storage on all their laptops and computers recently) and probably +£100 on the price tag.

Soldato
More proof it's not just me...

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/03/31/galaxy-s20-ultra-review/

Update 31/03/2020 - A major misstep for the Galaxy series

I and several other members of the AP team have been using the Galaxy S20 Ultra for the last few weeks, and if anything, our opinions of the phone have worsened in that time. In fact, we made the decision to drop the initial 7/10 score to a 6. It's just a disappointing device.

Ryne says he's "distinctly unimpressed" after using the S20 Ultra. Not all of the negativity is because we made him stop using his beloved Galaxy Z Flip, either. We agree on the basics here: the battery life and display are good, but the software comes with its fair share of annoyances. Perhaps most galling, the new camera setup is, in a word, bad. Oh, and the price. Charging $1,400 for this phone is obscene.

Samsung's camera processing simply hasn't kept up with the competition, and packing in more advanced hardware isn't cutting it. There was an update recently that seems to have mostly fixed the autofocus, but the image quality is still substandard. You can take some nice photos with this phone, but most of them look like they came from a mid-range device—edges are constantly oversharpened, and details are blurred. The dynamic range is also extremely inconsistent. I'm getting used to the feeling of abject disappointment when I look at the gallery after snapping images. My wife, who rarely comments on image quality, told me some photos I shared of our dog looked "soft," and she was completely right. Ryne says the S20 Ultra "takes terrible photos." Emphasis his. Here are some more samples.

Soldato
Absolutely they will!

Bear in mind you just spent a thousand quid on an S20+ (less whatever cashback you might have got) which isn't a world away from the current top-spec iphones. The 12 Pro or Max will probably end up with 128Gb base storage this year (since Apple doubled the storage on all their laptops and computers recently) and probably +£100 on the price tag.

The only feature that I miss is the 120hz screen. That was honestly really nice - If I could tap my S8+ with a magic wand and it gained a 120hz screen (and maybe a bit of extra horsepower for the performance) it would probably be everything I need. Even when you compared them side by side the actual brightness, contrast and quality of the S20+ screen wasn't night and day better. So if Apple release a cheaper iPhone with a high refresh rate I could be tempted and I'm watching the One Plus carefully. If they release the new one with the correct price tag (and the camera isn't awful) then I'll be very tempted indeed.

Soldato
I briefly had a OP7T Pro (I sent it back for various reasons unrelated to its performance. It was a great phone) and thought it took good photos. Images shot under interior lighting were clearly better than those taken on my Note.

Anyway, I evidently have different preferences to you, so don't go by my opinion on phone cameras :D

Soldato
This is exactly why overall user experience by balancing the hardware requirements and user needs is better than simply throwing the kitchen sink in a phone.

Who was asking for a 108mp sensor in a phone? Who was asking for a 100X space zoom with completely unusable results? Sticking such a large resolution sensor into a device that limits the physical sensor size was just a ridiculous decision by Samsung.

I really want to like One Plus as they're probably closest to a Pixel from a software point of view but their computational photography just isn't as good as the Pixel or Huawei Pxx series.

Soldato
Who was asking for a 108mp sensor in a phone? Who was asking for a 100X space zoom with completely unusable results? Sticking such a large resolution sensor into a device that limits the physical sensor size was just a ridiculous decision by Samsung.

The camera hardware got Samsung a massive amount of exposure leading up to the phone's release. Every single tech site and review channel was practically swooning with joy and fawning about the S20 Ultra camera. I bet Samsung shifted a huge chunk of their S20 Ultra stock on the basis of advance coverage alone.

Associate
fyi - looks like S20 contract deal prices are crashing.

MPD has an o2 offer for 29.25 pm after cashback which works out to about 457 for the phone before any trade-in discounts. With my note 9 tradein it would work out to about 200 for s20 5g over 24 months.

The deals are probably going to get even better soon but just incase anyone wanted one now...

Associate
Back
Top Bottom