• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Seems arbitrary to assign all the RTX "high end", if you're not going to assign all the GTX "low end".

Using nVidia's marketing distinction, it's a binary division into two groups (GTX, RTX). Logic says you could call RTX Tier1 and GTX Tier2 if you wanted.

But your logic says RTX is Tier1, and GTX is a mixture of Tier 2 and Tier 3 (analogous for "high end", "mid range", "low end").

It very much seems to me that the whole thing is subjective, as opposed to there being some concrete criteria that makes a 2060 unquestionably "high end".

After all, I could legitimately ask the question, "Why can't RTX be a mixture of Tier 1 and Tier 2, with all GTX being Tier 3?"

This isn't argument for argument sake, I'm just trying to establish the highly subjective nature of calling something "high end" or not, using simple logic.

I could you ask the same question, why are you calling the xx70 and xx60 mid low and mid range?

I was just keeping my answer simple, but, I forgot how you like to twist things.

The point I was making is that just because a card has xx60 in it, doesn't mean it's mid low anymore. It also depends on whether it's RTX or GTX. It's sort of like back in the days of 9 series cards and below. Where you could have the 8800 GTX, the 8800 GT, 8800 GS but you also had the 8600 GT and the 8600 GS etc. The GT and GTX signify the differences in performance as well as the numbers.

Rather than look at the internal naming scheme, try looking at the die sizes. They are more of a clue to where the card is going to be in a line up then the internal naming scheme. For example, the 1080ti die size was 447nm on a 14nm process. The 1060 is 200nm. Now look at latest cards from Nvidia. The 2060 is 445nm and 1660 cards are 284nm.

And don't forget to include hardware features, like the Ray Tracing and Tensor cores. Which the mainstream cards do not have.

Simple logic.

Caporegime
I could you ask the same question, why are you calling the xx70 and xx60 mid low and mid range?

I was just keeping my answer simple, but, I forgot how you like to twist things.

The point I was making is that just because a card has xx60 in it, doesn't mean it's mid low anymore. It also depends on whether it's RTX or GTX. It's sort of like back in the days of 9 series cards and below. Where you could have the 8800 GTX, the 8800 GT, 8800 GS but you also had the 8600 GT and the 8600 GS etc. The GT and GTX signify the differences in performance as well as the numbers.

Rather than look at the internal naming scheme, try looking at the die sizes. They are more of a clue to where the card is going to be in a line up then the internal naming scheme. For example, the 1080ti die size was 447nm on a 14nm process. The 1060 is 200nm. Now look at latest cards from Nvidia. The 2060 is 445nm and 1660 cards are 284nm.

And don't forget to include hardware features, like the Ray Tracing and Tensor cores. Which the mainstream cards do not have.

Simple logic.
But that doesn't answer the question, does it.

[GTX/Tier1]------------------->|<-------------------[RTX/Tier2]
<Low-end.............><.....Mid-range....><.............High End>

Or

<Low-end....><..Mid-range..><............High End..............>

Which looks more reasonable to you?

Caporegime
But that doesn't answer the question, does it.

<Low-end.............><.....Mid-range....><.............High End>

Or

<Low-end....><..Mid-range..><............High End..............>

Which looks more reasonable to you?
Annnnnd I can no longer read this attention-seeking, circular nonsense. FoxEye goes on ignore.

EDIT - Ahh, peace once more.

Caporegime
Probably for the best if you can't deal with people asking questions or presenting opinions. And I've been perfectly polite to you.

Meh, I'm not losing any sleep over people like that.

Associate
Damn it, I need an upgrade! Struggling to run some games while folding at home. Want a 3080Ti/Titan BTX :(
im folding as well on my vega 56 and 3800x and if i game i put it on light and when not gaming i turn it to medium or full but that program really takes a grip on my machine and i hope it makes a difference running it

Soldato
That's exciting to hear! I can't see how well it would be as good to play on a PS5/Xbox though, less peripherals and you can't do a multi monitor setup right? But Ampere should be able to crush these scenarios in theory?
It plays fine on a 360 controller, don't think it'll come to ps5 being an ms game tho

Delayed until September... :o this was the plan all along imo. Hence why CyberPunk 2077 was pushed back.

Yep, will be bundled with new cards, said it months ago lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom