BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
A stock M2 isnt what id call quick by any stretch.

Lolwut

Ohhh you're *that* forum guy who thinks that anything this side of a Bugatti Chiron isn't "quick". "Ruh ruh ruh, you think that's quick? ruh ruh!"

For the benefit of the tape, a BMW M2 is a quick car. Yes, a McLaren Speedtail is faster, but that doesn't mean an M2 is slow. A slow car is a Kia C'eed 1.6CRDI.

Associate
Lolwut

Ohhh you're *that* forum guy who thinks that anything this side of a Bugatti Chiron isn't "quick". "Ruh ruh ruh, you think that's quick? ruh ruh!"

For the benefit of the tape, a BMW M2 is a quick car. Yes, a McLaren Speedtail is faster, but that doesn't mean an M2 is slow. A slow car is a Kia C'eed 1.6CRDI.

Its slow compared to my N54. :D

Associate
A stock M2 isnt what id call quick by any stretch. 360bhp and 1600KG but then it depends on ya perspective. If you drive a honda jazz it will be.

I have to agree. An M2 at 360bhp / 1600kg is brisk for sure, quick is a big stretch. A tuned N54 would spank one lol. 360bhp is not a lot of power in 2020.

Imo by modern standards

Brisk: 0-60 in 5.XX seconds and 0-100 in 11.XX or less
Quick: 0-60 in 3.XX seconds and 0-100 in 8.XX or less
Fast: 0-60 in 2.XX seconds and 0-100 in 7.XX or less.
Super fast: 0-60 in 2.XX and 0-100 in 6.XX or less

Its slow compared to my N54. :D
Tuned N54s are a thing of beauty. What tune are you running?

I had the 35is and a simple MHD tune gave it 390ish, really awesome car, if utterly impractical :D

Absolutely lovely cars, had a couple of 35is Z4's too. Can run around 460bhp with a few more bolt ons and tune. Really opens the taps up. A very hard car to beat for the money (when it runs lol)

On the topic of power. A quote from a user on the pistonheads forum.

You can never have enough power.

Nowadays, you need at least 500bhp, ideally 600-800bhp, to make use of all situations on the roads and to stay one step ahead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry what? Has the whole world gone delusional or mad?

Imo by modern standards

So an F80 M3 now only qualifies as somewhere between "brisk" and "quick"? It is, by any measure, ******* fast! Sure, there are faster cars out there, but that doesn't make it LESS fast...

LOL

Soldato

So an F80 M3 now only qualifies as somewhere between "brisk" and "quick"? It is, by any measure, ******* fast! Sure, there are faster cars out there, but that doesn't make it LESS fast...

LOL

Look at said person’s posting history and all will be revealed...

Associate

LOL
Given that an F80 runs 0-60 in 3.8s and 0-100 in 8.5s it is clearly in the quick category. Ultimately this depends on what cars you are coming from.

Soldato
OMFG ahah.

The point I was trying to make.... I was talking about how the car felt. The M2 to me did not feel particularly quick. Couple of YouTube channels - like CarWow for example - had the M2 regularly hitting 60 in around 5s which is probably about right in my experience of the two I had. The DTC a bit quicker. Of course that's still pretty quick. I was just saying I don't think that performance felt interesting, or was delivered in an exciting way.

Soldato
I have to agree. An M2 at 360bhp / 1600kg is brisk for sure, quick is a big stretch. A tuned N54 would spank one lol. 360bhp is not a lot of power in 2020.

Imo by modern standards

Absolutely lovely cars, had a couple of 35is Z4's too. Can run around 460bhp with a few more bolt ons and tune. Really opens the taps up. A very hard car to beat for the money (when it runs lol)

On the topic of power. A quote from a user on the pistonheads forum.

Including the situation where you lose your license?

I've never owned a 500bhp car so please someone correct me if I'm wrong - but how many opportunities on British roads do you get to actually enjoy all that power? My experience based on the roads in the south east is very little because they're either gridlocked or riddled with pot holes. :p

Soldato
Don't you have to move handling back in the picture too ? ie 'super fast' Tesla versus an M2, or GT86 ..
the objectification of that component is, fortunately, a bit elusive, the Nürburgring - my local pot holed road.
Do BMW ever elaborate on what is distinct about the M2, (M4 derived apparently) suspension, just more alloy ?

e46 instrument panel lights
closer to home, noticed the odometer is no longer visible in the dash ..I'm hoping that is a backlight bulb ?
I had never realised there were bulbs and wonder if other warning light bulbs have gone, as I don't pay that much attention.
should I disconnect the battery ? the google jury seems out ?

Man of Honour
I took the PCP out on my M140i with 15k miles PA. I'm doing closer to 10k PA, is it worth reducing the mileage and as a consequence the monthly payments? I understand it can work out better to overpay on the mileage at the end of the agreement rather than paying extra on mileage you don't use if I were to go over. Or should I just leave it and the extra headroom I have at the end would decrease what I owe on the loan? I'll either VT the car or trade it in after 3 years (4 year agreement).

Associate

Dimitri at BQtuning, tuned it for me. Wanted to go with him because its DCT. Made 460bhp and 500lbs/ft on MSL's rollers in Birmingham. Standard bolt on mods. Never had any issues apart from the odd misfire code 18 months ago, i replaced all 6 plugs to better ones and all 6 coils to Eldor and its run sweet as a nut since. M performance backbox as well, sounds mint. Beat a M4C at santa pod.

Im trying to get my mate at work to get a Z4 35i hehe. Took him out in mine a few weeks ago so think he might very well get one now lol.

And everyone quoting all these times are all well and good, but thats google. Lot harder to get them out in the real world. Ive managed 4.2 to 60 and 8.8 to 100mph and its quicker than stock M3/M4.

Associate
When do they ever go bang? There a lot stronger than the N55.
The N54 is a solid engine, its just all the stuff around it that is notorious for failing, namely the fuel injectors, high pressure fuel pump, turbo wastegates, oil filter housing gasket, ac pulley, valve cover, engine mounts (which can cause pulleys to bounce off the subframe).

Other than that, it is rock solid lol

Soldato
When do they ever go bang? There a lot stronger than the N55.

See below.

The N54 is a solid engine, its just all the stuff around it that is notorious for failing, namely the fuel injectors, high pressure fuel pump, turbo wastegates, oil filter housing gasket, ac pulley, valve cover, engine mounts (which can cause pulleys to bounce off the subframe).

Other than that, it is rock solid lol

Based on your ability to spell "They're" and your affinity for "My tuned bimmer is faster than a super car lolz" I'm going to assume you have a full set of blinkers on about your engine. Tried racing a re-mapped M2 Comp yet? Bet you'd win that too :D

Blinkers_600x.jpg

Back
Top Bottom