*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
It can be a bit frustrating to set them up, they need quite a lot of tweaking at the beginning but once they're setup and working as you'd like they're superb.

I quite enjoyed putting in the delays between the AVR turning on and selecting the input. Also had to set up the kids TV manually as it wasn't in the database.

It really isn't difficult.

Cheers, I've ordered an Ultimate, looking forward to setting it up. Not looking forward to teaching my mrs how to use it. :D

Also once set up I think your missus will prefer pressing a single button rather than multiple remotes plus the brownie points once she sees all the remotes disappear in to a draw.

Then there is the reduction in carbon footprint to keep Gretta happy as the remotes are lithium ion rechargeable, in theory your doing your bit for the environment ;)

Man of Honour
Thanks all who said I should get the Harmony, it’s brilliant. I’ve got quite a complicated setup as I run an AV amp as well as a hi-fi amp and CD player. It’s always been a pain to control and like I said, I had a lot of remotes. I’ve managed to set it all up with both amps, CD player, custom commands with changing inputs from a press of a button on the remote. Even my mrs understands how to use it and is happy. Epic, epic buy for me, so thank you all.

I got a second hand one off Amazon, looks like it was a raffle ticket win and the winner didn’t want it as all the protective wrapping was still on. It was just under £170, I know I could probably find it cheaper or even new around that price but it was an easy buy and again, I’m extremely happy with it. I will miss the Sky voice search though!

Soldato
Thanks all who said I should get the Harmony, it’s brilliant. I’ve got quite a complicated setup as I run an AV amp as well as a hi-fi amp and CD player. It’s always been a pain to control and like I said, I had a lot of remotes. I’ve managed to set it all up with both amps, CD player, custom commands with changing inputs from a press of a button on the remote. Even my mrs understands how to use it and is happy. Epic, epic buy for me, so thank you all.

I got a second hand one off Amazon, looks like it was a raffle ticket win and the winner didn’t want it as all the protective wrapping was still on. It was just under £170, I know I could probably find it cheaper or even new around that price but it was an easy buy and again, I’m extremely happy with it. I will miss the Sky voice search though!

Nice one, not sure on that price though as I got all 3 remotes for a little more than that.

Soldato
Yeah I think I could have done better price wise, however I wanted quick delivery and to be honest I’m really impressed with it so I feel it was worth it.

Its one of those things that you don't know.you need till you get one then wonder why you didn't before.

The one I have in the living room is the elite but I picked that one up on a black Friday deal as something was spilt on my older ultimate and it ended up with a sticky button that one ended up in the kids room but I used the hub and ir blasters from the elite with the ultimate rather than pull it all out as the remotes are interchangeable with the hubs.

Soldato
Morning all

At my property I have a 2tb main SkyQ box I mini in our bedroom and a mini in the in-laws front room in the adjacent annex next door to to our front room, the 2 SkyQ minis seem to loose signal all the time, and the main tv (UHD compatible) drops in and out of signal (I think this is the hdmi we have installed) so I’m ordering some replacements, but would move if the skyq minis to power lines help? So one on the broadband router, Main 2tb, and 2x minis I’m sick of the house hold moaning at me about the signal on the minis boxes! Is it fairly simple to move them both to hard wired only ... cheers all!

Soldato
Hello bud.
I have a similar setup to yourself. 1 x 2TB and 2 x Minis and am using homeplugs from Devolo which are superb. All connected via homeplug connected to the homeplug next to my router.

It depends on how well your house is wired. In my case for example I’m able to get speeds of 200Mbit up to 1.2Gbit to my various Sky boxes (depending on where they are located.

Code:
https://imgur.com/a1ls8WG

I have switched off the WiFi signals on all boxes and purely hard wired them via the homeplugs. I have probably had to reboot the homeplugs once in my experience.

Only point which I would consider checking from your side is the fact that your in-laws are in an annex, so not sure how the homeplug signal would degrade.

Edit: Ah looks like they've increased their lineup... theyve made a startkit which is non-Wifi version with triple ethernet ports:

https://www.devolo.co.uk/magic-2-lan-triple

Or alternatively you can go with the single ethernet version:

https://www.devolo.co.uk/magic-2-lan

Whichever you go for, these Devolos are worth their weight in gold and worth the price.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello bud.
I have a similar setup to yourself. 1 x 2TB and 2 x Minis and am using homeplugs from Devolo which are superb. All connected via homeplug connected to the homeplug next to my router.

It depends on how well your house is wired. In my case for example I’m able to get speeds of 200Mbit up to 1.2Gbit to my various Sky boxes (depending on where they are located.

I have switched off the WiFi signals on all boxes and purely hard wired them via the homeplugs. I have probably had to reboot the homeplugs once in my experience.

Only point which I would consider checking from your side is the fact that your in-laws are in an annex, so not sure how the homeplug signal would degrade.
Many thanks for this info!

The in-laws are on the same wiring circuit (separate fuse board) but comes back into our board, it’s a good shout though and I’ll test that firstly to be 100% sure, how stable are the minis can I ask since moving to powerlines only?

I’m going to turn off all Sky WiFi and use my unifi setup which is far superior...

Also could I ask what model you used please? Thanks again

Soldato
My pleasure! I'm the one who is always asking questions on OCUK, so I'm very happy to help someone else for a change! :)

Below is a snapshot of my setup as of right now.
The Playroom is right on the other side of the house and still getting 242mBit from the router which is on on the opposite side of the house.

8YYChan.png

I got 2 x the "devolo Magic 2 WiFi: Ultimate Powerline Starter Kit" (rated up to 2.4Gbit).

I got these since I wanted to make use of the extra ethernet port on one the home plugs (rather than the non-WiFi ones which one have a single ethernet socket, but if you have a switch or something then it should be ok).

I just disable the WiFi on the sky boxes and like you also use my UniFi AP-AC-Pro pumping out 200mbit (Virgin Media) across my house with little sweat.

One word of advice... if you are using a splitter of some kind at the socket, always plug the splitter THROUGH the homeplug....

Even if your plug in the wall is a double socket DONT use the second socket... it does help greatly with powerline noise and the like....

E: Looks like there is a LAN triple socket version that has been released since I bought mine...

Worth their weight in gold.

Last edited:
Soldato
My pleasure! I'm the one who is always asking questions on OCUK, so I'm very happy to help someone else for a change! :)

Below is a snapshot of my setup as of right now.
The Playroom is right on the other side of the house and still getting 242mBit from the router which is on on the opposite side of the house.

8YYChan.png

I got 2 x the "devolo Magic 2 WiFi: Ultimate Powerline Starter Kit" (rated up to 2.4Gbit).

I got these since I wanted to make use of the extra ethernet port on one the home plugs (rather than the non-WiFi ones which one have a single ethernet socket, but if you have a switch or something then it should be ok).

I just disable the WiFi on the sky boxes and like you also use my UniFi AP-AC-Pro pumping out 200mbit (Virgin Media) across my house with little sweat.

One word of advice... if you are using a splitter of some kind at the socket, always plug the splitter THROUGH the homeplug....

Even if your plug in the wall is a double socket DONT use the second socket... it does help greatly with powerline noise and the like....

E: Looks like there is a LAN triple socket version that has been released since I bought mine...

Worth their weight in gold.

Sound advice! I’ll buy a set for myself to test then try it on the in-laws place! Sick of SkyQ dropping out when I’m watching a HD channel in the bed room, and the wife/mother-in-law morning about it :)

Soldato
:cool: You're very welcome iMacMart, please keep us updated how you get on, homeplugs can be hit and miss and I will be honest I have gone through several variants/makes, but these Devolo's are solid. Hope they work for you.

Soldato
Oh and dont forget to enter the secret menu on each Sky Q box and disable the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wifi.

(Are you with SkyBB? Presumably you will use your UniFi setup to pipe your Wifi signal in your house?)

Soldato
Oh and dont forget to enter the secret menu on each Sky Q box and disable the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wifi.

(Are you with SkyBB? Presumably you will use your UniFi setup to pipe your Wifi signal in your house?)
Yep got that noted, and yes mate Skybb router to a cable in the loft US-8-60W Poe switch, 3 x LR APs and a cloud key plugged in there also!

Soldato
Youre all set then!
Had to google about the Cloud Key, didnt realise they existed!
You find it useful than configuring your LR APs individually from PC?
I do 90% via my iPhone and anything else on the laptop, remote access via the interweb it’s a life saver if the switch, APs break otherwise I have to crawl around the loft to hard reset the buggers!

worth the money I paid, not got the latest generation as it’s not worth it for what I do really

Soldato
I have had Sky Q from very early on. A q box and and the smaller box.
Over the last month or so my main box has needed to be rebooted more often. In the previous 3 years or so i have had to reboot it once. Have had to reboot now on a weekly basis and over this last week 3 times.
This reminds of me of the constant reboots needed on my old HD box. The question is, would i be justified in demanding a new box ? After all, Sky own and rent it to me. If it's not working as it should, they should provide a new one ?

Caporegime
I have had Sky Q from very early on. A q box and and the smaller box.
Over the last month or so my main box has needed to be rebooted more often. In the previous 3 years or so i have had to reboot it once. Have had to reboot now on a weekly basis and over this last week 3 times.
This reminds of me of the constant reboots needed on my old HD box. The question is, would i be justified in demanding a new box ? After all, Sky own and rent it to me. If it's not working as it should, they should provide a new one ?

Yes you'll get a replacement free of charge as the box is rented to you as you've said. And with the lockdown in China's Wuhan province where a lot of Sky boxes are made still having problems you might get a refurb rather than a new one.

Back
Top Bottom