Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
How are folks 350mb service running at the moment? Getting anywhere near full speeds currently with more people at home?

I just got 343mbps down and 35 up on speedtest. Tried another server and got 370 down. So ok I would say.

I normally get around 380mbps down when I have tested in the past, guess it just depends on time of day and server used.

Soldato
Having serious stability issues at the moment with pings to google and bbc going up to 500ms+ making video calls impossible as they keep dropping out.

Occurs for a 10-15 seconds at a time at random intervals.

Bristol area...

Soldato
Still getting 375/36 mbps here,Although i read somewhere that people suspect ISPs will start to throttle soon,Obviously that wont go down well considering how much we all pay these days especially with Virgin who constantly creep up the cost but if it has to be done to keep things stable can absolutely be fine with 100mbps as its still more than enough.

Soldato
Still getting 375/36 mbps here,Although i read somewhere that people suspect ISPs will start to throttle soon,Obviously that wont go down well considering how much we all pay these days especially with Virgin who constantly creep up the cost but if it has to be done to keep things stable can absolutely be fine with 100mbps as its still more than enough.

Please name and shame said source, it's a baseless rumour that UK ISP's have already explained is rubbish, they've then even gone to the extent of publishing usage metrics, yet still it gets repeated. The only reduction taking place is streaming services in a largely pointless exercise relative to the UK where on network cacheing is a thing and our networks have significant capacity spare. Localised issues exist, that's always been a thing, but the notion that UK ISP's will throttle nationally because they need to is just scaremongering/click bait.

Associate
My VM has been ok to be fair to them.
Had a few issues a few weeks back that they sorted out.
I usually get around 380mb - at the moment I am averaging over 200, so cant really complain given the circumstances

Soldato
Does anyone use mesh wifi with their Virgin router (I think I've got the SH2)? My wifi has been woeful recently and I'm getting fed up with it, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for mesh on a reasonably budget (ideally £150 for the whole house, 3 bedrooms) which is easily compatible with the router.

Associate
Speed dropped from 375 to 340, but big issue is ping while playing bf1, ping was stable around 25 to 30 before but now moving between 30 to 120 all the time making it hard to play the game.

Soldato
Having serious stability issues at the moment with pings to google and bbc going up to 500ms+ making video calls impossible as they keep dropping out.

Occurs for a 10-15 seconds at a time at random intervals.

Bristol area...

Did some digging and it turns out it may have been the high downstream power levels (10+) that I’ve had for months actually showing up in latency sensitive applications (never really used them and hence never noticed before). Speeds were always fine.

Engineer sent out within 24 hrs and supplied a 3dB attenuator.

But too early to tell but seems to have had a not insignificant improvement to ping stability...

Engineer stated power levels should be between -6 and +10!

Caporegime
Wonder if its congestion with more people at home, are there many wifi networks around you?
A good number show up when scanning in my living room assume more people are using their microwaves as well :p.

Definitely a first world problem, mainly streaming off my HTPC taking the biggest hit.

Permabanned
I had dodgy WIFI the other day so did my mums house (she only has BB due to the V6 boxes so no PC etc).

Could not get my phone to lock to 5GHZ without dis/connecting dozens of times then it would be a max Link Speed of 400 instead of 866, I did think it may be my phone and tried all sort but nothing worked

Today both homes back to normal and I did wonder if VM were somehow limiting something that was effecting the HUB's power output and WIFI.

Soldato
I had dodgy WIFI the other day so did my mums house (she only has BB due to the V6 boxes so no PC etc).

Could not get my phone to lock to 5GHZ without dis/connecting dozens of times then it would be a max Link Speed of 400 instead of 866, I did think it may be my phone and tried all sort but nothing worked

Today both homes back to normal and I did wonder if VM were somehow limiting something that was effecting the HUB's power output and WIFI.

Mine did the same last night 5ghz wouldn't connect but 2.4ghz was ok. Speeds were fine.
All back to normal this morning though.

Caporegime
My contract's "up" so I'm currently on £52.50 for 350mb, and this will rise to £60 soon as an additional discount I have is up.

I'm not sure what to do. In my area there's only Virgin Media, or I can pay Sky et al £30 a month for 67Mb.

I see they're offering new customers 350mb for £38 a month for 12 months, then £52 after that.

But I also see the daddy package that's currently at £80 a month for 12.

Given the current wait time on phone calls, does anyone have any experience with being able to get the new customer deal for when upgrading? So, if I was to take out that full package would they offer me it at the £80 for 12 months?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
My contract's "up" so I'm currently on £52.50 for 350mb, and this will rise to £60 soon as an additional discount I have is up.

I'm not sure what to do. In my area there's only Virgin Media, or I can pay Sky et al £30 a month for 67Mb.

I see they're offering new customers 350mb for £38 a month for 12 months, then £52 after that.

But I also see the daddy package that's currently at £80 a month for 12.

Given the current wait time on phone calls, does anyone have any experience with being able to get the new customer deal for when upgrading? So, if I was to take out that full package would they offer me it at the £80 for 12 months?
If you can live with a bit of downtime then just cancel and if no call back just join again a few days later as a new customer. Maybe use another family members name.

Back
Top Bottom