• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK AMD Renoir review thread

Caporegime
Wow, this really is a momentous release... imo truly the first time we have seen real modern desktop-level performance in a laptop. When you factor in that this CPU is only 35w and can be put in a 14" laptop, then to have this level of power in such a potentially small device is just amazing. It's a shame that AMD can't have TB3 as for me that is a weakness in the overall convenience of this platform, but lets see how it develops.

It is such a shame that Nvidia Ampere is not yet ready, because the launch of the AMD 4XXX series is just crying out for a next-gen GPU to really flex its muscles. I am holding off buying a new laptop this year and will wait until the end of this year or early next year when we will have these CPU's in larger and more efficient chassis and paired with next-gen GPU's. Now is not the time to upgrade your laptop unless you really, really can't help it. No to mention Intel will be releasing new CPU's to try and compete.

My current wish-list would be a notebook with:

AMD 4900H
AMD Ampere
HDMI 2.1
TB3 and/or USB4

Roll on 2021. :)

Caporegime
Best review comparison I saw was a $4000 Acer Intel laptop with the 9980 at full 90W and massive cooling capacity in a 5KG laptop that's like 6-7times the volume inside and that laptop lost in almost everything and only beat put the 4900HS by like 7 points in single thread Cinebench but was a ways behind in multithread. Vs a comparably priced smaller laptop the 4800HS pretty easily trashes the 9980HK due to the thermal throttling of the latter. In R20 multithread as above there are 3600-3700 scores for the 9980HK but almost all of them are 90W unlimited very large laptops, in comparable 14" laptops they are achieving scores in the 3100-3200 range while the 4900HS is getting 4100-4300.

It's basically a 33% faster in multithreading due to thermal throttling in anything lightweight and is still faster than massive desktop replacement laptops.

Insanely efficient chip.

Caporegime
nice review form Hardwarecanucks here:

The guy has a point that AMD CPU's are let down by notebook manufacturers cutting corners on devices that contain their CPU's, often sticking to a very strict budget that limits features. Intel laptops often don't have these issues.

I and likely most others would rather pay a couple of hundred more and have all of the latest connectivity tech in a laptop with this kind of power.

Caporegime
It's brown trouser time for Intel. Nvidia should be worried too.
I doubt Nvidia are anywhere near as worried as Intel right now. They are still clear market leaders with the performance advantage.

Intel, on the other hand, are suddenly getting trounced in performance per watt for the mid and high end segments.

Soldato
Nvidia should be worried because of AMD's inroads in the general GPU space. AMD has trounced Intel; Nvidia are next.

Nvidia still has the performance advantage, sales advantage and margin advantage. And there is no sign of slowing down, there is no rumours about Nvidia slowing down like there was for Intel. Nvidia have nothing to worry about as long as they keep pumping out new architectures

Soldato
Nvidia still has the performance advantage, sales advantage and margin advantage. And there is no sign of slowing down, there is no rumours about Nvidia slowing down like there was for Intel. Nvidia have nothing to worry about as long as they keep pumping out new architectures
The only difference now as to a few years back is now that AMD have some money in which to do the research to try and catch up just as they did with CPU's.

NVidia has slowed down, the whole semiconductor industry has slowed at a fabrication level. Nvidia has been able to do what Intel did, drip feed small improvements, relative to what we had before, since AMD was struggling financially. It bit Intel on the arse massively and we will see if it takes Nvidia by surprise also..

Soldato
The only difference now as to a few years back is now that AMD have some money in which to do the research to try and catch up just as they did with CPU's.

NVidia has slowed down, the whole semiconductor industry has slowed at a fabrication level. Nvidia has been able to do what Intel did, drip feed small improvements, relative to what we had before, since AMD was struggling financially. It bit Intel on the arse massively and we will see if it takes Nvidia by surprise also..

considering they have at least one unreleased architecture (Ampere) with 50 to 70% extra performance compare to current for sale cards, they should be ok. No idea what they have after that though.

where as I tel had nothing, they even told the market they have nothing and won't for years, all their architectures in the works were locked up to a non existent fabrication mode.

I can see both Nvidia and amd moving to mcm after Ampere/RDNA2 and that will be the first opportunity for amd to take advantage since they have the experience from zen 2. But as long as they both keep pumping out monolithic architectures then Nvidia will have the advantage

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom