• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 570 swapout stops my system

Associate
Hi all.
Among my "collection" I have an 8 year-old i5 2500k machine with an MSI P67A-GD65 mainboard & GTX660, on which I run Linux Mint MATE.
I recently got my hands on a (new) AMD RX570 graphics card so I decided to use it to replace the GTX 660. After installing the card the machine appears not to boot & I can get no display signal from it, though I've confirmed that the RX570 works because I've tried it in my wife's ancient i3 computer (also on Linux Mint MATE) where it's fine.
Obviously there's some kind of incompatibility issue, but I don't know whether it's hardware or UEFI settings though I've checked both & can find nothing suspicious.
I know I'm missing something here, but I'm at a loss for what to try next. Any suggestions ?

Associate
I've found sometimes older motherboards need a BIOS/UEFI update to support newer graphics cards.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice. It might have worked, too.
In their "wisdom" MSI have decided to supply a Windows only executable to update the BIOS/UEFI so I had to install Win 10 onto a spare SSD fitted to the machine.
Unfortunately, Microsoft wrongly assume that they somehow own my computer, & can do whatever they like, whenever they like, and of course they interrupted the update part way through. The mainboard is now bricked. :/

Caporegime
Apparently that board comes with an (Optional???) Dual BIOS and you can flash a bricked BIOS from an on-chip backup.....

I had a quick scan through the manual, typically its not at all clear, littered with bad English and spelling mistakes but if yours has a dual BIOS you might be able to fix it.

Is there an LED on the board blinking at you?

The manual is here, what i have been able to find in it.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/P67AGD65#down-manual

fmBP6Ed.jpg.png

Associate
OP
Unfortunately it won't get even as far as that now - After pressing the power switch the machine repeatedly switches itself off & on again staying on for less than half a second so there seems to be no way to get into the BIOS/UEFI.

Caporegime
Unfortunately it won't get even as far as that now - After pressing the power switch the machine repeatedly switches itself off & on again staying on for less than half a second so there seems to be no way to get into the BIOS/UEFI.

Hmm... i did think it odd that you need to go into the BIOS to flash the bricked BIOS!

RIP, looks like it was a nice board, maybe you find can something similar cheap on an online auction?

Last edited:
Soldato
Pull the bios battery for 10 minutes
See if that helps
Also lot of older boards the bios chip
Isn't soldered
Can be hot swapped and flashed if know some one
With same board
Or replaced or re~flashed on ebay
If it's socketed

Caporegime
Pull the bios battery for 10 minutes
See if that helps
Also lot of older boards the bios chip
Isn't soldered
Can be hot swapped and flashed if know some one
With same board
Or replaced or re~flashed on ebay
If it's socketed

That's an idea, i had a Gigabyte Z97 board with dual BIOS, sometimes it used to load its self into the secondary BIOS after a failed overclock.

Maybe the board is capable of loading into the secondary BIOS and just needs some sort of encouragement to do that.

Associate
OP
I can't see a socketed chip on the MB so I assume the BIOS chip isn't removable, but there is a jumper to clear the data so I'll try that.
The handbook does mention a optional dual BIOS which is indicated by an LED on the MB, but there is no such LED or at least nothing lights up where it's supposed to be located and the handbook gives no other information so I'm not sure whether the LED indicates that the dual BIOS is present & activated, or whether it means it's not available on my MB.

If all else fails, I have a suitable & inexpensive MB being delivered this week, & that will do until I can find a better one.
I have seen an identical P67A for sale online in UK, but the asking price (£329.95 !) is ridiculous, though I could possibly source one from China at a reasonable price. Has anyone else done this ?

Caporegime
I can't see a socketed chip on the MB so I assume the BIOS chip isn't removable, but there is a jumper to clear the data so I'll try that.
The handbook does mention a optional dual BIOS which is indicated by an LED on the MB, but there is no such LED or at least nothing lights up where it's supposed to be located and the handbook gives no other information so I'm not sure whether the LED indicates that the dual BIOS is present & activated, or whether it means it's not available on my MB.

If all else fails, I have a suitable & inexpensive MB being delivered this week, & that will do until I can find a better one.
I have seen an identical P67A for sale online in UK, but the asking price (£329.95 !) is ridiculous, though I could possibly source one from China at a reasonable price. Has anyone else done this ?

Yeah £330 is nuts and here's why...

Ryzen 5 3600 6 core. £159
MSI Tomahawk MAX. £99
Patriot Viper Steel 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz. £90

£348 Total.

Those are not even cheapo' components..... they are pretty decent.

Associate
OP
Yeah £330 is nuts and here's why...

Ryzen 5 3600 6 core. £159
MSI Tomahawk MAX. £99
Patriot Viper Steel 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz. £90

£348 Total.

Those are not even cheapo' components..... they are pretty decent.

Yeah, I'd describe that price for a P67A MB as "optimistic" at best, and I had already priced up an indentical 3600 system in case I'm forced to replace the i5, but I'm reluctant to spend the money if it can be resurrected at reasonable cost because it's served me well for a long time, I know it well, & I like it.
Anyway, UPS tell me that the B75MA replacement I ordered will arrive tomorrow, so at least I'll have a working Linux machine. :)
I'm also trying to negotiate a price for a good P67 chipset board with a Chinese company who seem legit, though I've heard of scams so I'm wary.

Caporegime
Yeah, I'd describe that price for a P67A MB as "optimistic" at best, and I had already priced up an indentical 3600 system in case I'm forced to replace the i5, but I'm reluctant to spend the money if it can be resurrected at reasonable cost because it's served me well for a long time, I know it well, & I like it.
Anyway, UPS tell me that the B75MA replacement I ordered will arrive tomorrow, so at least I'll have a working Linux machine. :)
I'm also trying to negotiate a price for a good P67 chipset board with a Chinese company who seem legit, though I've heard of scams so I'm wary.

Oh i get it, those Sandy Bridge i5's do hold a special sort of place in the hall of fame in the PC tech world, and they are still capable CPU's.

Associate
OP
So I went ahead & ordered an Asus P8P67 LE MB from the company in China that I mentioned. It turned up 3 weeks later in perfect condition & it's now running. Not the greatest MB ever - It doesn't have USB 3 so I added a PCI card - but I'm sure it will outlive my use for the system. :)

Back
Top Bottom