• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Ok do me a favor, watch these 2 videos with decent headphones. One will be on PC, the other on Console (doesn't matter which). Listen for the audio cues to see if you can tell the direction and position of footsteps, gun fire, etc.
Now I want to make it clear that Youtube isn't the best way to demonstrate audio quality in this fashion, I know this. However, the distinction is so clear to me in the video below I wanted to provide it as an example as it resembles my own experience. Also, it's my understanding that PS4 encodes audio at 128kbps at 48kHz which is standard on the PC audio like Realtek, Sound Blaster, etc (unless you select something very low).

This is the PC version with unknown setup. Start at 6:00 minute market.

This is PS4. Start at the 9:07 mark.

I try to use the same maps which is why I have starting points on each video. Put on some decent headphones. Take note of the audio cues which would cause you to move your head left, right, front, back when looking for the enemy between PC vs PS4. Another caveat is that the audio position would technically be better on both PC and Console vs what's compressed to work with Youtube so keep that in mind as well. If there was a better way of demo'ing this example I'm all "ears" (LOL). Jokes aside, before I updated my audio, the PC version is very similar to what I heard in the PC video. I can hear gunshots, footsteps, and other ambient sounds. But I couldn't always tell the position of the enemy player as they run by. Regardless of Boost, Boost Low, Boost High.

Here is another example on the PS4, I believe.
Listen to the 1st 10 seconds . You should be able to hear the footsteps but also can tell that they sound very soft, when far away, to loud, "fuller" the pitch of the audio cue changes just before the enemy becomes visible. If you look at the player, he actually backs up just before the enemy is visible. Which is a natural thing to do. Unfortunately, again, this is youtube, and can't really audio ping the player for a pint point position. But on console, you certain can pinpoint the enemy position audibly. Well, at least I can with my Sennheiser.

This is the disadvantage I'm seeing as a PC player when I play against console players in Modern Warfare 2019 (cross platform). Right now I'm getting well over 100+ FPS at 1440p yet they are one up'ing me by being able to audio ping me as I get close to them. And was the #1 reason why I stayed away from 2v2 matches. They can sound ping me and know exactly were you are within ear shot of about 20'-25' or so. While on my end, I hear them...and get a general idea of where they are but cannot pin point them. Well, until I upgraded my audio. And found some good use for using LatencyMon while playing MW2019 ;).

So, lets say I upgrade to the 6800 series card. I now get over 140+ FPS at 120Hz at 1440p. Sure, that would be better from my point of view. But if I didn't upgrade my audio and/or get better audio fidelity from the game's engine for these PC ported game I'm at a disadvantage playing against console players. This isn't black and white though. One most factor in skill, weapon used, teammate, etc.

Surely this depends on the users PC audio setup?

Most of my gaming is done using philips fidelio X2 headphones open sound stage with a Sennheiser GSX 1000 I have no issue with hearing other players.

Console they is some very poor gaming headset or some users playing on a TV with sound. Pc players have a lot more choices when it comes to audio.

Associate
Regarding AMD, the only way you can disrupt a segment, in this case 4K, is to offer great performance at decent prices. Otherwise, the 4K uptake will be slow and take longer.

As for consoles, too many people, even on here, are buying into the marketing. I don't know why anyone would want to go to lesser platform and i'm not just talking about graphics, it's everything else the PC platform offers.

Either way, if you plan to buy a new GPU/next gen console, it's going to be expensive.

Caporegime
Regarding AMD, the only way you can disrupt a segment, in this case 4K, is to offer great performance at decent prices. Otherwise, the 4K uptake will be slow and take longer.

As for consoles, too many people, even on here, are buying into the marketing. I don't know why anyone would want to go to lesser platform and i'm not just talking about graphics, it's everything else the PC platform offers.

Either way, if you plan to buy a new GPU/next gen console, it's going to be expensive.
People's existing PCs won't spontaneously combust if they buy a console.

So they can carry on doing all the "PC things" on their existing PC, which they simply won't be upgrading as often, due to switching their gaming habits to console.

Effectively it just means you have 2+ boxes instead of one. Instead of spending £1000 upgrading your PC, you spend less on that and divert £500 or so to a console.

I'm not sure why you hate consoles so much.. you do spend an awful lot of time trying to persuade people they suck.

Caporegime

So they can carry on doing all the "PC things" on their existing PC, which they simply won't be upgrading as often, due to switching their gaming habits to console.

Effectively it just means you have 2+ boxes instead of one. Instead of spending £1000 upgrading your PC, you spend less on that and divert £500 or so to a console.

I'm not sure why you hate consoles so much.. you do spend an awful lot of time trying to persuade people they suck.
If pricing rumours are to be believed PS5 or XboxSX might be £599 or more.

Associate

A grand upgrading your PC, i don't think so. Exaggeration much!

I don't hate consoles by the way, i've previously owned many. It's just that for everything the PC offers, buying those systems just seems like a waste of money. Still far too many limitations, no matter how good the specifications.

Soldato
"everything the PC offers" is a moot point if all you do is play games. And £1,000 to upgrade your PC is an exaggeration? Pretty sure the top-end Nvidia and AMD graphics cards of recent years have been £800+ alone.

Flimsy argument is flimsy.

Associate
"everything the PC offers" is a moot point if all you do is play games. And £1,000 to upgrade your PC is an exaggeration? Pretty sure the top-end Nvidia and AMD graphics cards of recent years have been £800+ alone.

Flimsy argument is flimsy.

No one is forcing you to buy those £800+ cards. Your point is void.

Stop talking *****!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You're my shadow, everywhere i go you stalk me. You're like the mental patient that doesn't know they're mental.

I knew i had you on ignore for good reason. Congrats, you're back on my **** list. :p
Pot calling the kettle black. Lol.

I just find your posts entertaining. Always a good laugh to read. You are filling the void left over by 4K8K very well. Haha :D

Soldato
No one is forcing you to buy those £800+ cards. Your point is void.

Stop talking *****!
No, my point is perfectly valid. Whether I choose to buy a card or not is irrelevant. The fact is there are GPUs on the market that cost obscene amounts of money, so it is entirely possible for an upgrade to cost £1,000, which you claim is an "exaggeration". It's not. It's true.

Besides, nobody is forcing you into buying a console, yet you incessantly cry about them. Take heed of your own advice, perchance?

Soldato
and 2 other reason they beat you.

1.auto aim on consoles, 2. you aint that good. :D
Well I'm not the best but I am good enough :D

Surely this depends on the users PC audio setup?

Most of my gaming is done using philips fidelio X2 headphones open sound stage with a Sennheiser GSX 1000 I have no issue with hearing other players.

Console they is some very poor gaming headset or some users playing on a TV with sound. Pc players have a lot more choices when it comes to audio.
Correct, it does depend on setup. However, how many really know about the GSX1000 and what it does for audio position in games unless told about it? You could also add the SB: G6, X3 and even the AE series to the list. I almost got the GSX1000 too but the noise reduction on the mic was to much for me. Also, it can only do surround sound at 16 bit. Which is a bit behind the times, but I digress.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom