Knife Thread

Soldato
Picked one of these up at Christmas, a Zelite Santoku. Seems a good knife. Also bought a small Zelite 6" Chef's knife as a present for my daughter (she likes cooking) and she loves it.

That would be a good choice, just my style, modern design, wide blade rounded handle.
are they any good ? ive not really heard of zelite before.

Associate
I'm not a knife collector so I only keep a few that I actually use. That Santoku, a Chef's knife, an old carving knife, a very heavy Prestige brand knife I inherited (but is good for chopping due to the weight!), and some utility knifes plus a thin filleting knife (not shown).

I keep them on a magnetic rack so they don't bang into each other in a drawer. The two chef's knives are hard steel so can chip fairly easily - or even shatter if dropped onto a hard surface, so they need care. Any knife will do the job in a home environment provided it's sharp, a good knife will take a keener edge and keep it longer. You need to be able to sharpen your blades yourself, and the best way is a whetstone. I've used a variety of motorised and static diamond sharpeners in the past and none were much use.

Soldato
I'm not a knife collector so I only keep a few that I actually use. That Santoku, a Chef's knife, an old carving knife, a very heavy Prestige brand knife I inherited (but is good for chopping due to the weight!), and some utility knifes plus a thin filleting knife (not shown).

I keep them on a magnetic rack so they don't bang into each other in a drawer. The two chef's knives are hard steel so can chip fairly easily - or even shatter if dropped onto a hard surface, so they need care. Any knife will do the job in a home environment provided it's sharp, a good knife will take a keener edge and keep it longer. You need to be able to sharpen your blades yourself, and the best way is a whetstone. I've used a variety of motorised and static diamond sharpeners in the past and none were much use.
Thanks

What brands or models should to keep a look out for, it will give me a few options ??

Caporegime
Being a lower hardness is not a bad thing - it will sharpen more easily!

I bought a couple of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives and love them!
To anyone in this thread that is agonizing over which knives to buy and has a decent budget then I simply suggest buying Wusthof Classic and having done with it. Absolutely fantastic knives and I will probably now never buy any other brand unless I have a specific need to.

Soldato
I'm in the market for a knife set and a wooden knife block. Looking for a set of three knives. Any recommendations on Japanese style or Damascus knife? Budget is about £500

Associate
Sounds reasonable.
I’ve seen sharpening blocks as well, gimmicks or credible?
Obviously not preferable to a whetstone but convenient for some I guess.

Soldato
It’s been my understanding that wooden knife blocks aren’t that great due to them blunting the edge when you put them in an take them out (happy to be proved wrong)
It was on that basis my sister bought me one like this but in wood:
https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-round-stainless-steel-empty-knife-block/p4793460

A wooden block is going to be much better than a wooden chopping board, as there's no pressure on the blade compared to chopping on a board. Wooden chopping boards are considered the best for keeping an edge on a knife, so just taking/removing them from a block is going to do little to blunt an edge.

A knife block is going to be vastly better than chucking them in a drawer to bounce against each other (and I say that as a person who chucks them in a drawer to bounce against each other).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom