• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vega unlocking worth it?

Man of Honour
Somebody on these forums still has my Ref Vega56 with the modded dual bios. I know it changed hands again since I sold it but that card was an absolute stonker and super stable if you could cool it with the unlocked bios. Somebody said the 56 will never outperform the 64 yet my mate brought his 64 around as he thought it wasn't performing as expected and my little modded 56 outperform the stock 64 by a slim margin. He sent his 64 back in the end as it wasn't a good one and bought 64 liquid. Put simply some cards seem to love it and some don't, depends if you get a 'good' one or not

Soldato
Somebody said the 56 will never outperform the 64

No, just said it isn't better. Ofc an individual V56 can outperform an individual V64 since the only 2 differences between the 2 are 8 CUs (which are rarely utilised in games) and clocks (aka silicon lottery).

The reason I say it isn't better is because, while minor the CUs still work and do have some benefit (esp at 4K), and with V64 you're guaranteed Samsung HBM & since V56s are just defective V64s then the chance of winning the silicon lottery are also higher. Now these minor differences might not be significant enough for the price difference but they still exist, so for that reason a V64 is still better than a V56 in general.

Permabanned
OP
read through this if you haven't already, and the follow-ups on techpowerup & overclock.net
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ailure/flashing_the_vega_56_pulse_warning_and_questions/

after reading this i put on my big boy pants and forced the flash to XFX Vega 64 DD, and i got an extra 8000 points on skydiver(lol i know) its just the last bench i run.

the fan off function as been disabled and the minimum fan speed of 40% as been dropped to 20%.
card now idles at 21c..

Man of Honour
No, just said it isn't better. Ofc an individual V56 can outperform an individual V64 since the only 2 differences between the 2 are 8 CUs (which are rarely utilised in games) and clocks (aka silicon lottery).

The reason I say it isn't better is because, while minor the CUs still work and do have some benefit (esp at 4K), and with V64 you're guaranteed Samsung HBM & since V56s are just defective V64s then the chance of winning the silicon lottery are also higher. Now these minor differences might not be significant enough for the price difference but they still exist, so for that reason a V64 is still better than a V56 in general.

Agree not better but a good 56 can be better than a bad 64. I was lucky with my 56 it was a moulded package with samsung memory that liked to clock. Put that 64 bios on it and it was a great little card. No match for the 7 I have now but still a decent card!

Permabanned
OP
whoever hasn't done that just should..

stock clocks went from 1570 - 1630 but now boosts to 1680 (without me overclock)
i drop voltage on s6 s7 s8 to 1080mv card now runs cooler and faster... the fans turn on(60sec) and off(4min) in gaming load @ 1440 100hz
i just sent ram to 1000mhz because i decided a 25% oc was ok by me.

Permabanned
OP
I have the same card as you @MaXxBoulton. Would you link me to the BIOS you flashed successfully please? You're now basically running 'stock' what I am overclocked, with some on top.

If you send me a trust I have the file saved, but I can be 100% now on the file I downloaded

EDIT:
Please note techpowerup says "Warning: You are viewing an unverified BIOS file."

bios was for " XFX Vega 64 DD"

Last edited:
Soldato
Its got entries for liquid temp in the notes. Does this work with cards without liquid sensors?

"Socket Power: 220 W Battery Power: 220 W Small Power Power: 220 W TDC Power: 300 A Temp Hotspot: 105°C Temp Liquid 1: 74°C Temp Liquid 2: 74°C Temp HBM: 95°C Temp VR SOC: 104°C Temp VR Mem: 102°C Temp Plx: 100°C"

I can't find that in search - this comes up though (and verified):
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/195098/xfx-rxvega64-8176-170730-1

Permabanned
OP
Your card is a Sapphire Pulse, mine is a regular Sapphire vega 56 (which is AIO cooled). In what way does an XFX card match?

It dose not match your. In your first post you said you had the same card as me.

It matches mine with having the righ i/o and power delivery. If you flash a bios from a card tha only as one display port and your card as 3 you run the risk of loseing 2 ports.

Link me to your model of card.

Back
Top Bottom