5.1 kit partial upgrade?

Associate
Afternoon all!

My audio kit for our main 65" TV is currently Jamo A102 5.1 kit (paired with a Sony STR-DH800).
Had them for around 9 years and they've been great and can't fault them for what I wanted them for.
However, now my speaker requirements have changed a bit and would now like decent fronts for music and a better center as the TV is in a much bigger open room.

I'm happy with the receiver, sub and rears and don't particularly feel they need to be changed yet.

I've got my eyes on the Q Acoustics 3050 / 3050i floor standers and a 3090C / 3090ci for the center whilst keeping the sub and rear speakers for now. They're within budget and aesthetically will suit the decor.
Not sure if the "i" versions will be worth the extra as I expect either will be a considerable upgrade to what I have.
I use primarily Netflix and Spotify.
Will these Q Acoustics suit the receiver OK or any reason not to go down this route?

Ta

Man of Honour
The Q 3050 are very good speakers. The 'i' versions have refinements which probably need a better front end for you to fully exploit, so I'd agree with your reasoning that the 3050s are a big-enough step up.

There are a couple of observations, and these go for any decent floorstander: First, they'll need some space around them. This means distance from the back wall and from the side walls. There aren't many modern floorstanders that will be happy to be boxed in or stuck in a corner.

Second, it almost goes without saying that good speakers in general will resolve more detail and pick out the threads of the music or soundtrack better than lesser-performing speakers. With that though, they'll also expose the limits of the source equipment. Sony AV amps and receivers of old had a tendency to be a bit, er, strident. Coupling them with revealing or very forward speakers wasn't really the best match. The Jamo with the DH800 would work okay because the speaker's sonic signature could be described as 'laid back'. The Q Acoustics 3050 certainly aren't forward or edgy. However, they aren't a soft speaker either. While I think you could live with the combo for a while for films, music might be another thing altogether. Sooner rather than later, you're going to change the amp.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info.
This is all like pc upgrades really isn't it? May well get a bottle neck somewhere when only upgrading certain parts at a time.

Can only try it I suppose and faff about with positioning as that's reasonably flexible.
If it's a noticeable improvement then it will keep me happy for a while!

Ta.

Associate
OP
Was initially looking at spunking out on the whole 3050i 5.1 kit but then reigned it in a bit to do the L/C/R speakers only.
I don't find the sub that bad TBH, it's what you relate to really. Nobody I know has a decent set up to compare to so it's all I know!
To you or others reading this it might sound truly woeful! :D

Associate
Afternoon all!

My audio kit for our main 65" TV is currently Jamo A102 5.1 kit (paired with a Sony STR-DH800).
Had them for around 9 years and they've been great and can't fault them for what I wanted them for.
However, now my speaker requirements have changed a bit and would now like decent fronts for music and a better center as the TV is in a much bigger open room.

I'm happy with the receiver, sub and rears and don't particularly feel they need to be changed yet.

I've got my eyes on the Q Acoustics 3050 / 3050i floor standers and a 3090C / 3090ci for the center whilst keeping the sub and rear speakers for now. They're within budget and aesthetically will suit the decor.
Not sure if the "i" versions will be worth the extra as I expect either will be a considerable upgrade to what I have.
I use primarily Netflix and Spotify.
Will these Q Acoustics suit the receiver OK or any reason not to go down this route?

Ta
Hi all.I got 3050 is it worth upgrading to 3050 i?Would i notice big improvement?

Man of Honour
Hi all.I got 3050 is it worth upgrading to 3050 i?Would i notice big improvement?
In a word, No.

You might notice some small improvements due to the greater rigidity of the cabinet and some of the internal tweaks, but it's not going be a 'hallelujah' moment. In some aspects you might actually go backwards in quality; specifically the bass.

The 3050 you have are a very good all-round speaker for movies and music, especially when given some space around the cabinets and driven with good electronics. The 3050i lost the edge for music, but are still good movie speakers as part of a system with a sub.

If it was me, and I had money burning a hole in my pocket and an itch to upgrade my system, then I'd spend it on something other than the main speakers if they're part of a movie system.

Soldato
Yeah pointles going from say kef q15 to kef q15i

Unless you need rear/side speakers so just move the slightly lower end ones from front to rears. If you want to upgrade.probably look at £300+ standmounts

Associate
In a word, No.

You might notice some small improvements due to the greater rigidity of the cabinet and some of the internal tweaks, but it's not going be a 'hallelujah' moment. In some aspects you might actually go backwards in quality; specifically the bass.

The 3050 you have are a very good all-round speaker for movies and music, especially when given some space around the cabinets and driven with good electronics. The 3050i lost the edge for music, but are still good movie speakers as part of a system with a sub.

If it was me, and I had money burning a hole in my pocket and an itch to upgrade my system, then I'd spend it on something other than the main speakers if they're part of a movie system.

Man of Honour
Hi.do you think denon x6500h is a good amp for qa 3050.i am using 6500h.what do you think about qa qb12?i bought few months ago.its nice base.

You already own Denon X6500H amp. You own Q Acoustics QB12 sub. What it matter what I think? You bought already. Maybe you listen before you buy? I hope so. This is better. Maybe you buy without listen? Someone says this is good, or you read magazine. This is not good way to buy, but you do it anyway. Listen/No listen. It is done. What I say or think, it make no difference.

Someone ask "Do you like my amp. Do you like my speakers?" This person is not so happy, I think. Maybe not spend enough. Maybe spend too much. Still look for magic in sound. Not find it yet. Always searching, but in wrong place. Buy. Buy. Buy. Still not find. Never find until do something different.

Different is go to man who make room better. Go to man who know how to make equipment perform better.

Too many people buy, buy, buy. Read magazine. Read website. Speak to dealer who say "Oh yes, you must have this" Still not happy. "Oh you must spend on this one, and this one, and this one" Always answer is same. Spend. Spend. Spend. Never is answer "We make room better. We make equipment work better" because dealer must know more than just to sell. Not so many dealer know this. Is easier to sell. That is why never happy. Always look to next thing. Is big waste of money and is big waste of time. But hard to break circle of buy-buy-buy. Magazine and website promise "New is better" Manufacturer never say old was better.

Need to be strong man to say stop, I do something different. Now I put my trust in expert. Come to my home. Make room good for any speakers, low price or high. Set up equipment perfect. Is better way. This you should try.

Associate
You already own Denon X6500H amp. You own Q Acoustics QB12 sub. What it matter what I think? You bought already. Maybe you listen before you buy? I hope so. This is better. Maybe you buy without listen? Someone says this is good, or you read magazine. This is not good way to buy, but you do it anyway. Listen/No listen. It is done. What I say or think, it make no difference.

Someone ask "Do you like my amp. Do you like my speakers?" This person is not so happy, I think. Maybe not spend enough. Maybe spend too much. Still look for magic in sound. Not find it yet. Always searching, but in wrong place. Buy. Buy. Buy. Still not find. Never find until do something different.

Different is go to man who make room better. Go to man who know how to make equipment perform better.

Too many people buy, buy, buy. Read magazine. Read website. Speak to dealer who say "Oh yes, you must have this" Still not happy. "Oh you must spend on this one, and this one, and this one" Always answer is same. Spend. Spend. Spend. Never is answer "We make room better. We make equipment work better" because dealer must know more than just to sell. Not so many dealer know this. Is easier to sell. That is why never happy. Always look to next thing. Is big waste of money and is big waste of time. But hard to break circle of buy-buy-buy. Magazine and website promise "New is better" Manufacturer never say old was better.

Need to be strong man to say stop, I do something different. Now I put my trust in expert. Come to my home. Make room good for any speakers, low price or high. Set up equipment perfect. Is better way. This you should try.
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Associate
In a word, No.

Hello guys.What do you think about focal aria 926 and focal 1000f?did anyone had a chance to listen to them or any focal speakers?

Man of Honour
Hello guys.What do you think about focal aria 926 and focal 1000f?did anyone had a chance to listen to them or any focal speakers?
Aria 926 speakers are excellent IMO.

The 1000 F sub will be a very good match, but for £1000 or so there's a lot of very good competition if you want to go deeper or louder or both.

Back
Top Bottom