This Instant And Moment - 2020!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
DS218+, just to store movies that I can access downstairs on my tv. :)

As an owner of the DS1815+, I would recommend two things:

1. Consider adding a bit of extra RAM depending on what you are running. I have 6GB of RAM and it definitely makes a difference (added a 4GB stick).
2. Run as much as you can in Docker containers. You can use packages, but Docker containers are awesome and make things way easier. The + models have the benefit of supporting Dockers.

Eu5WQ99.png

I really like my Synology unit, the O/S is awesome. For media I am playing back via the Nvidia Shield TV which seems to handle basically everything I throw at it via Plex including HDR and atmos.

Soldato
As an owner of the DS1815+, I would recommend two things:

1. Consider adding a bit of extra RAM depending on what you are running. I have 6GB of RAM and it definitely makes a difference (added a 4GB stick).
2. Run as much as you can in Docker containers. You can use packages, but Docker containers are awesome and make things way easier. The + models have the benefit of supporting Dockers.

Eu5WQ99.png

I really like my Synology unit, the O/S is awesome. For media I am playing back via the Nvidia Shield TV which seems to handle basically everything I throw at it via Plex including HDR and atmos.
Thank you for the tips. :) I think as standard it comes with 2GB of memory so I’ll stick some more memory in. :)

Soldato
I'll donate 50p, or £15 for a nudie. :p
:eek: yeah that won't be happening:p

I'm still not sure how to resolve my tv dilemma. I definitely don't want to keep watching stuff through my laptop, it's not the best and the now tv browser extension isn't great either. Tried watching a show last night and the connection kept dropping just enough that the picture was going fuzzy, normal, fuzzy, normal. Sigh

I have 2 choices:

1. Buy a smaller size tv (like 30") for £160 ish, get my current one repaired once lockdown lifts and either keep the smaller one for the time being or sell it.

2. Buy a tv to upgrade my current one (50") but then do I get my old one repaired and try selling it or try selling it in the state it's in :/

I'm thinking maybe option 1, depending on what the actual issue is with my current one. I'm going to email Panasonic today and see if they have any suggestions.

Soldato
Buy an even smaller TV and sit closer to it. :p
Most of the 20" ones I've seen are not much cheaper than the 30" :p

So, bit of an interesting "turn of events" my local town page was randomly asking if everyone is ok. I commented that my tv broke, long story short they're going to see if they can source a spare tv to be delivered to me!! How amazing would that be?! :) this town might get slated by outsiders but everyone certainly has a community spirit

Soldato
I have 2 choices:

1. Buy a smaller size tv (like 30") for £160 ish, get my current one repaired once lockdown lifts and either keep the smaller one for the time being or sell it.

2. Buy a tv to upgrade my current one (50") but then do I get my old one repaired and try selling it or try selling it in the state it's in :/

I'm thinking maybe option 1, depending on what the actual issue is with my current one. I'm going to email Panasonic today and see if they have any suggestions.

Obviously doesn't matter if you can get one for free, but i'd go option 2. For the price of a new 50" tv i think it probably wouldn't cost much less to repair yours. If you can do it yourself then great but otherwise i'd imagine you'd be looking at >£100 once you factor in labour/parts etc.

Unless of course you have a reasonable need for a smaller tv elsewhere in the house, where that option makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom