Electrical question

Soldato
I have a fused switch in the house where the boiler cupboard (system type) used to be, it's connects to the CU at 15 amp and currently switched off there. There doesn't appear to be anything else connected to this circuit so as it's not being used i'd like to remove it, or if possible repurpose it in the hallway as an additonal socket.

Is this a job that I am allowed to undertake or does this require an electrician to remove/repurpose and certify?

Soldato
I’m going with that you need a proper sparky to make either of those changes.

Changing a socket faceplate, wall switch or light fitting was what I understood U.K. regs to allow non-certified people to carry out.

Soldato
OP
Yeah that doesn't mean it is RCD protected.

Basically if you want to convert it to a socket you need to offer it RCD protection.

If you want to remove it then it needs disconnecting in the CU.

Thanks for replying, we are looking into converting the loft in a couple of years time so it would seem replacing the CU at this point would be something we can get done now then.

On top of that do you think we would need to replace the old wiring with new or can that stay put of it tests ok?

Soldato
If it tests out ok (insulation resistance test is best indicator of condition)

It really depends on the age of the cable, how it is installed and how much work would be involved in replacing it?

If it's not too much work to replace then it's usually best to just renew the cable.

Soldato
OP
It would require taking up a lot of flooring and chasing in the walls and then re-plastering/ tiling for a full rewire, the cables are probably as old as the CU so it's not a modern type. I'll get an electrician in to get it all tested once this whole covid thing is over.

Thanks for the advice.

Soldato
How old is the house? This would be a guide to how old the wiring is, unless its been rewired since.

Generally if 70s or later, there shouldnt be a need to re-wire, UNLESS its been bodged around with in the past, which does happen. Before the 70s there could be quite a few reasons its beyond end of life VIR (Vulcanised India Rubber) cables, no earths to lights, copper clad (Aluminimum). If 80's or 90's then on quite a firm footing that it shouldnt need ewiring (unless of course, been messed around with)

You would quite likely require some other remedial works at the same time, main bonding(could be missing undersized on 70s install, should be if dating from 80s/90s ), or fault repair (if any are found)

Is your wylex fuseboard brown or cream?

Make sure you ask for some spare ways to be left, for loft conversion. Also avail yourself of the difference between a dual RCD board (all the cirucits are split across two RCDs, so if one trips, you loos half the power, it should be split sensibly do upstairs lights are paired with downstairs power, etc). Or an RCBO board (Uses RCBOs instead of MCBS, which are basically an RCD built into each MCB, so you only loose the affected circuit). Or you can for bit of both, some dual RCD boards are what are called Hi-integrity boards, that is that they can have some circuits that are not on either of the RCDs, you can then fit RCBOs in these ways for circuits you don't want to tripped off by a fault on another circuit(eg. home server, etc). Full RCBO protetcion ovbiously costs more than a dual RCD board, but maybe not stupidly more, ask for a price each way and decide if its worth it.

Soldato
OP
@Adam_151 thanks that's a lot of info.
It's cream in colour, no earth's to light switches, although I haven't seen any copper clad aluminium. Sounds like there may be a need to do more work then.
That's a massive help, it's so I can get an idea of the scale of the works and costs before I start doing stuff. Also if it's feasible in the near future or not (wedding, fiance wants a baby sooner rather than later!)

Soldato
No earths on lighting circuits were pre '66. Sometimes at switches some muppet has cut them off rather than simply not being there though, but you do then have to test that they havn't done that at both ends...

If you post a few pictures of the installation (fuseboard, inside of light switches, ceiling rose, sockets, etc) I'll take a good shot of how old it actually is, and how bad its likely to be.... you ovbiously cant be 100% from just pictures, but you can get a rough idea of whats likely to be required

Back
Top Bottom