• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Man of Honour
Cheers for the reply was going to custom Watercool but not sure if its worth it with ryzen always did with intel after my 2500k
I found my 3600X ran hotter with custom water than my 3700X did with the Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black, so with my limited sample size it's partly down to the individual chip, less so than where it sits in the hierarchy of AMDs CPUs.

So my 3600X on custom water on auto hit approx 67°C when running CB20 multicore, my 3700X on auto doing the same hit approx 54-57°

I guess it depends on the rest of your cooling setup, case/fans etc to know if it's worth it?

Soldato
I found my 3600X ran hotter with custom water than my 3700X did with the Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black, so with my limited sample size it's partly down to the individual chip, less so than where it sits in the hierarchy of AMDs CPUs.

So my 3600X on custom water on auto hit approx 67°C when running CB20 multicore, my 3700X on auto doing the same hit approx 54-57°

I guess it depends on the rest of your cooling setup, case/fans etc to know if it's worth it?
I've got a phantek luxe case which was a spare I had and running 140 fans in it soon to be changed to silent wings 3 140s 2 at front 1 at rear but like you said its more about the noise of the stock cooler its like a jet engine lol when it revs up might change case aswell

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

My 3900X hits 66 in R20. Custom water. That’s with PBO enabled.

Soldato
My 3900x with a D15 running two fans would hit 67-68c in R20, I dropped it to a single fan and it now hits 69-70c. In normal use it’s around 40c and idles at 35c ish, games 50-60c depending on title. I like to keep it quiet so I run a fixed fan speed of 900rpm until it hits 65c where it ramps up to 100%.

Caporegime
Yeah I must confess the Wraith Prism does look good, now if the Noctua black had subtle RGB :D
Yeah would be nice, can't see Noctua ever adding RGB tbh. I was looking at the Chromax black, looks nice and seems to be the best or close to it air solution around.

I like the look of this, but apparently its performance is not that great considering the cost. I have the TR4 version of that cooler though and it looks really nice the RGB is great.

Man of Honour
Yeah would be nice, can't see Noctua ever adding RGB tbh. I was looking at the Chromax black, looks nice and seems to be the best or close to it air solution around.

I like the look of this, but apparently its performance is not that great considering the cost. I have the TR4 version of that cooler though and it looks really nice the RGB is great.
The Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black looks sweet in the flesh, almost like a matt black, very covert ops, very very quiet in operation and excellent cooling, very happy with mine :cool:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I think we'll have to agree to disagree :p

Definitely :D

Here's my build with RGB set to blue on the main components.

DSCF8347.jpg

vs

84PewfV.jpg

One is certainly more subtle than the other.

Permabanned
Managed to get 4.3Ghz all core using Ryzen Master, 1.35v. Cinebench score was 7656 after a 600 second constant run. Anything over 4.3 crashed Cinebench.

Soldato
Hi Folks,

I've got a bit of a weird issue... maybe I'm just too long out of the game !

Built a 3900x setup with a 360MM AIO (Fractal Celsius S36) and at 'idle' the CPU temperature is dancing all over the place... anywhere from 32 to 48. Under load it goes up to about 60 and holds there....

I should be clear, this is in a 10 second or so loop that these temps are occuring.

Is this normal behaviour?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi Folks,

I've got a bit of a weird issue... maybe I'm just too long out of the game !

Built a 3900x setup with a 360MM AIO (Fractal Celsius S36) and at 'idle' the CPU temperature is dancing all over the place... anywhere from 32 to 48. Under load it goes up to about 60 and holds there....

Is this normal behaviour?

Yes perfectly normal. Any little thing causes it to boost in frequency and cause very brief temperature spikes. It doesn't mean it's running hot or using lots of power though.

Back
Top Bottom