What weights?

Soldato
So I am already feeling the effects of lock down - I have put weight on already and am wanting to look at how I can use the time to moderate my diet and exercise. Currently 90kg, 36" waist and 5ft 7. I would like to achieve weight loss to 75kg and waist 32". I would like to grow to 6ft too, but at 37 I don't think that's a number I can impact.

I am an ex-runner and found it quite tedious when I was doing it - Would prefer some cardio routine I can do in the home, but I would like to do some weights alongside - Not something I have really done before. Just looking for something basic to keep me active, create some longer calorie burn and make sure I am not just slimming to skinny (I have no interest in "gains", just want to end up with a bit of tone).

What sort of weights should I be looking to get? Obviously something basic, but can anyone make some recommendations for me?

TIA

Man of Honour
Great that you want to do something! First thing is diet (always is, irritatingly) and then routine... Followed by exercise.

At this point in time, Joe Wicks is probably your best bet... If you haven't already got weights, you will pay though the nose for them. If - somehow - you can get some, pick up a light, medium and heavy kettle bell set.

Do his daily PE lesson as it is not a bad workout for a generalised population.

Practically, you can have a lot of fun/pain/torture without weights as you're starting out, so get on in and try it. As a starter for ten: don't call it tone, as you're not in an 80s aerobics class... If anything it is called "definition," and we have work to do!

And running is gash, anyway - no wonder you found it tedious. ;)

Caporegime
I bought https://www.mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-6-pair-hex-dumbbells-storage-tree-kit.html and https://www.mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-heavy-duty-260kg-fid-weight-bench.html for a bit of a home gym.

Also bought a set of 20KG dumbbells from the same range, so for me at least I can do a wide range of weight related exercises. Very solid bench and good quality dumbbells, they've served me well although 20KGs are probably a little on the light side for some exercises now.

Other options would be to get a set of resistance bands at various strengths. Not at as effective as the dumbbells but they're good enough for some stuff.

Cardio wise get a spin bike, I bought an ex gym one so it's commercial and very solid. It cost me about £200 IIRC, spinning is great for cardio.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So what would be the difference between using Kettle Bells and Dumbbells? Seems there are plenty around online to order for delivery :) (And what KG would you recommend for someone starting out if going for three different weights?)

Caporegime
How fit/muscular are you already? I recently bought 3kg, 5kg dumbbells and I find doing 30 minutes with the 5kg absolutely kills me, I have to drop down to 3kg or even no weight toward the end. So maybe a set of 1, 3, 5 or 3, 5 and 10kg dumbbells.

I did initially try kettlebells but your technique has to be spot on or you can do yourself a quick injury. I couldn't see my posture so I didn't want to risk it and sent them back for the dumbbells.

As for routine, I use HASfit on YouTube. I really like how they split the workouts so if you are struggling with the normal one you can follow the lady for an easier time.

NB - I am by no means an expert, this is just my experience so far.

Soldato
OP
I have a belly, so not fit at all - I do dog agility which means I have short bursts of running about doing that, and walking, but that's about it. I can move and run without it being "effort" as such and I have plenty of upper body strength but just average size muscles. I am quite broad, so that probably helps. Linking that up then, maybe I should get a 1,3,5 set for now and move to 10 once I have a better basic fitness back?

Man of Honour
How fit/muscular are you already? I recently bought 3kg, 5kg dumbbells and I find doing 30 minutes with the 5kg absolutely kills me, I have to drop down to 3kg or even no weight toward the end. So maybe a set of 1, 3, 5 or 3, 5 and 10kg dumbbells.

I did initially try kettlebells but your technique has to be spot on or you can do yourself a quick injury. I couldn't see my posture so I didn't want to risk it and sent them back for the dumbbells.

As for routine, I use HASfit on YouTube. I really like how they split the workouts so if you are struggling with the normal one you can follow the lady for an easier time.

NB - I am by no means an expert, this is just my experience so far.

As already posted, it depends what you use them for and any training history.

Small weights can get light reasonably quickly if you're consistent...

Caporegime
As already posted, it depends what you use them for and any training history.

Small weights can get light reasonably quickly if you're consistent...

Yeah, I’m afraid I only do it in fits and starts as I find it a bit of a chore. That’s probably a question in itself - how do you learn to love strength training if you’ve never really enjoyed physical activity in the past.

Man of Honour
I'd be amazed if anyone wasn't frustrated by their heaviest weight being 5kg almost immediately. If you are doing a range of excercises you will need some heavier weights for excercises that recruit more and bigger muscles even if you have not built up any strength yet.

My selectable dumbells start at 5kg and go to 32kg and I have never wished I had lighter for anything.

Man of Honour
Yeah, I’m afraid I only do it in fits and starts as I find it a bit of a chore. That’s probably a question in itself - how do you learn to love strength training if you’ve never really enjoyed physical activity in the past.

For me doing stronglifts and using the app was addictive. It is linear progression (until you fail) and being able to track my progress and try to break through plateaus on the charts got me into it. You quickly get to enjoy the progress and get a kick out of bettering your previous bests.

Man of Honour
For me doing stronglifts and using the app was addictive. It is linear progression (until you fail) and being able to track my progress and try to break through plateaus on the charts got me into it. You quickly get to enjoy the progress and get a kick out of bettering your previous bests.

Just like anything, you have to want it or something related to it. Personally, I want to be strong and cycle very fast, so the two are complimentary.

Doing weights for the sake of doing weights is a bad way to go. Better to find something you enjoy doing and stick at it.

Start with a BW routine and see if you can stick at it, and start with short term goals (can I do it to the end of the week? Can I get to 20?)... And see how you go!

Caporegime
I think we're at crossed wires here. The programme I "follow" (meaning started and stopped but intend to start again) is 20-30-40-50 minutes continuous workout (there are many of them) with dumbbell compound moves. Maybe this is what they call circuit training, I dunno. As a complete beginner to fitness, there's no way I can keep up with them for the whole session using 5kg weights.

If you're talking about just standing there doing dumbbell curls, then I suppose you are right about 5kg being too low. Depends what the OP is looking for - cardio and weights he said - which is what HASfit seems to fit in a nutshell.

Man of Honour
I think we're at crossed wires here. The programme I "follow" (meaning started and stopped but intend to start again) is 20-30-40-50 minutes continuous workout (there are many of them) with dumbbell compound moves. Maybe this is what they call circuit training, I dunno. As a complete beginner to fitness, there's no way I can keep up with them for the whole session using 5kg weights.

If you're talking about just standing there doing dumbbell curls, then I suppose you are right about 5kg being too low. Depends what the OP is looking for - cardio and weights he said - which is what HASfit seems to fit in a nutshell.

He said he would like to add some weights alongside a home cardio routine. I read that as cardio, then weights but I guess.

Caporegime
Check out Anabolic Aliens on YouTube. He has all manner of work outs for dumbbells, kettlebells, resistance bands etc. His app is really good as well, you can put in what equipment you have and what you want to work on and it gives you a routine.

I think it’s called EXERPRISE iirc.

Soldato
OP
Nice.

Weights are currently the 5L bottles of water, since I can't find anything in stock anywhere apart from professional stuff which It just silly money for home use.

Back
Top Bottom