Automobilista 2 ?

Soldato
Thought it'd be an instant pick up, more so when I saw the launch price. Lots of negative vibes surrounding it though relating to the worst aspects of Pcars2, a game that only gets a pass because of being content rich and it's great single player structure, not so much the driving.

I'll spend the day reading the hit and miss comments over at RD before probably buying it tonight.

Soldato
I too, for now, will be giving it a miss.
Too many mixed reviews and a shame to see it on PC2's Madness engine. I recently fired up PC2, after running solely ACC and AC for a long time and found the physics, handling and FFB to be so alien. I felt so disconnected from the cars, and I found this to be the case in all the cars I tried. If this is carried over in to Automobilista 2 it will be a hard pass for me. However I will keep an eye on it as it progresses through EA, if the overwhelming consensus changes to the positive I may take a punt at a later date.

Associate
Played it for about an hour or so, really lacking in content, cars etc.
It is a Pcars re-skin, menus are all very similar.
Driving wise its really decent, good FFB and pretty good car physics and handling, never sussed out how to tweak with the cars.

I do have Pcars1&2 so feel this really offers nothing new, apart from the 20 or so South American tracks.
Refunded it from Steam, but will follow it closely to see if it matures.

Soldato
Well as expected I bought it, likely it'll sit in the pile in the hope it gets good. I spose it depends on if they listen to the echo chamber that seems to be either white knighting the studio, calling it great on the back of Pcars, or shaking the car and track relationship about so a little bit of race craft matters beyond the perfect speed and line being the only thing that counts, or your dancing on ice.

Competizione sat for 6 months and became the best thing ever, so you never know:)

Associate
Yeah, bought it today as well but will not refund as the early access price is decent enough and as mentioned above ACC came on in leaps and bounds after leaving early access. Out of the box I'm getting a fair amount of oscillation with my Fanatec CSW, particularly noticeable with the Fiat Uno even with the car sitting on the grid. Haven't bothered to try and tweak the damping settings, happy to wait and see if Reiza can improve things in this respect. AI is also quite erratic and needs some work but I'm sure that will come along too.

Soldato
No issues with FFB for me on a Fanatec CSR, I feel like currently they haven't done a huge amount to differentiate themselves from pCARS2 although the cars I've driven definitely felty different to it. Looks like setups are locked until another release.

VR performance is good, obviously being built on the madness engine.

I have hope for it but I pretty much agree with @FlyingScotsman but I'm not refunding - I am however not coughing up for the DLC at the price they are currently asking.

Soldato
OP
No issues with FFB for me on a Fanatec CSR, I feel like currently they haven't done a huge amount to differentiate themselves from pCARS2 although the cars I've driven definitely felty different to it. Looks like setups are locked until another release.

VR performance is good, obviously being built on the madness engine.

I have hope for it but I pretty much agree with @FlyingScotsman but I'm not refunding - I am however not coughing up for the DLC at the price they are currently asking.

Theres a DLC ?

Ohh lol i just saw how much the dlc is....i got 2 words for them , and the 2nd one ending in F

Associate
Thanks for the heads-up. Just purchased. :)

Don't ordinarily purchase early releases. Reiza have an unblemished record for tweaking their products; so an instant buy for me.

No wheel set up currently so pad it is! It will make for an interesting comparison.

I frequently play Automobilista 1 with a pad (when too lazy to dig the wheel out). Okay some cars would be ruled out when pad-racing as too twitchy unless assists were added. Most of the time, I like racing tin tops so not really an issue.

The Uno, Beetle and Scirocco DLC was awesome, really hope it makes this game as well. Will likely sign up for the DLC's in due course.

Soldato
I spent a little time with it...It seems basic to me, but nothing jumps out at me as "bad." The VR interface seems like it was lifted from PC2. and that's a good thing to me. The graphics, while simple, are at least clear in VR. Stuff in the distance is "clear enough" out of the box, but there's a sharpening tool currently in the form of a text-file edit that works well to tweak it even further.

The FFB seems like it's missing something. I can feel the "weight" of the car and anticipate slip angle, but there doesn't seem to be any bumps, or "road noise" coming through. The vehicle dynamics themselves are "believable" but the FFB makes every surface feel perfectly smooth. The good news is that the information is in the software. Simhub got an update that supports AMS2 and I can feel the road under the car with my transducer setup now. I'm sure they will get that sorted out for wheel FFB at some point.

Soldato
I spent a little time with it...It seems basic to me, but nothing jumps out at me as "bad." The VR interface seems like it was lifted from PC2. and that's a good thing to me. The graphics, while simple, are at least clear in VR. Stuff in the distance is "clear enough" out of the box, but there's a sharpening tool currently in the form of a text-file edit that works well to tweak it even further.

The FFB seems like it's missing something. I can feel the "weight" of the car and anticipate slip angle, but there doesn't seem to be any bumps, or "road noise" coming through. The vehicle dynamics themselves are "believable" but the FFB makes every surface feel perfectly smooth. The good news is that the information is in the software. Simhub got an update that supports AMS2 and I can feel the road under the car with my transducer setup now. I'm sure they will get that sorted out for wheel FFB at some point.
There seems to be less in game ffb sliders than pcars 2. But because it’s the same engine someone will be out with a custom ini file for it soon

Soldato
Disappointed to hear the news as it appears the Steam comments echo the same vibes. Pity, will wish list this for now but might as well get hold of Project Cars 2 Deluxe for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom