• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Console XBOX ONE X Series or pc ?What faster

Associate
I'm afraid it's you who is being absurd. You are believing the most popular cards sit in the middle of the range but that is never the case. Consumers spend whatever they can justify, that says nothing about the mid range in pricing OR performance and since price doesn't ever scale 1:1 with performance then you can't use price either; it has to be performance.

Of course. If would be the mid range card. Do I think that would make it the most popular card? No, not necessarily...but that's a different question.
Okay, lets say somebody asks for a GPU for a mid range gaming system. AMD's middle tier card is £300, but Nvidia's middle tier card is £1000. Which one do you recommend? You simply can't define mid range as the middle card in their range, it will be determined by the average price somebody spends on a card.

Soldato
Okay, lets say somebody asks for a GPU for a mid range gaming system. AMD's middle tier card is £300, but Nvidia's middle tier card is £1000. Which one do you recommend?
Which one is faster, how much faster it it and what's the available budget?

You simply can't define mid range as the middle card in their range, it will be determined by the average price somebody spends on a card.

Nope. Again you are assuming the most popular cards would be the mid range cards but that's rarely the case.

I view the tiers based on price too, budget £1xx, mid £300ish, high £500. Balls to anything higher than that

But that's subjective. I wouldn't spend a grand on a gpu but I can't ignore they exist.

Soldato
Until consoles fully support mouse and keyboard and sync screen technology with high hz, a lot of people will stick with pc even if initially their GPU doesn't quite match up. A 3700x with fast ram, pcie4 ssd, and 3070 or above should outperform next gen. By amd 4000, x670 and nvidia 4000 series, they'll look pretty average mid cycle. Consoles always close the gap on release.

Soldato
So new console will be faster than my pc?

You're putting too much focus on the speed.

A PC needs to be faster than a console to play the same games at the same settings.

If you build a PC with the same CPU and graphics card as a console, it will struggle to play the same games.

Surely there's other factors to consider? I bought a pc because I want to game with a keyboard and mouse at a desk. I'm planning to upgrade to 1440p 144hz soon. I like the freedom to play modded games etc. You can't do any of that with a console.

If speed is your only requirement and you're happy to play games with a gamepad then buy a console. In 5 years time, your console will still be able to play the latest games but a pc would need a graphics card that's like twice as fast as the consoles.

When a console game developer makes a game and they find it runs too slow they optimise the code. Test it. Still too slow? Optimise the code again. Still too slow? Optimise the code again. Sometimes they find clever techniques to get extra power or extra eye candy out of the hardware. They dedicate so much time getting the game looking good and running smoothly.

A pc game developer however, will make a game and test it - oh so it needs a 1660? Whatever, we'll just write that down in the minimum requirements for the game. I'm exaggerating a bit here but here but you get the point.

A console with your cpu and your graphics card will be much faster at games than your pc. For example, the PS4 came out in 2013 and in can run Red Dead Redemption 2. Try playing that game on a PC from 2013. The PC would need to be much faster than a PS4 for the same gaming experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're putting too much focus on the speed.

A console with your cpu and your graphics card will be much faster at games than your pc. For example, the PS4 came out in 2013 and in can run Red Dead Redemption 2. Try playing that game on a PC from 2013. The PC would need to be much faster than a PS4 for the same gaming experience.

Some of that is true. However both the ps4 pro and X1X have RX 580 GPU's or extremely similar based dies performance wise.

That GPU can play RDR2 at 4k 30fps as well with identicle settings to X1X on pc. Not taking into consideration that the console ports have lower than the lowest settings vs pc in some cases.

Just because its a console gets you some optimisation but nothing extreme. If its a well optimised game in the first place the differences will be very minor. Look at doom eternal for example.

You can look at the potato masher pro pc on YT which uses very similar specs (performance and price wise) to the X1X.

So new console will be faster than my pc?

For the most part yes, but it's not always about speed either. Much more variety of games on a pc, and you can do a whole lot more than just play games.

Your GPU will likely be slightly faster than the xbox series x which is likely to be around 2080 levels. But the X will have a faster SSD, faster CPU (multithread wise) than your 9700k which is only 8c/8t.

If your current system is giving you the performance you want why worry? The consoles will bring pc pricing down and let you upgrade to a faster system for cheaper in the future.

Last edited:
Associate
Performance is speculative at this moment in time when new GPUs and new consoles are about to launch.

One thing for sure is that the PC will continue to be more versatile, in that you can run whatever resolution & graphics setting on any game.

If a game is released that is too much for a console to handle, possibly due to the developer targeting a speecific resolution or graphics setting then at least on PC the ability to change settings to make the game playable at the desired (or even functional) framerate. There are games now that run better on the PS4 Pro as opposed to XBONEX because of devs targeting 4k on the X and a lower framerate on the Ps4 Pro.

I wouldn't bank on the 'core' services (media playback, chat quality, etc) being in place for when the PS5/XSX launch, this is coming from someone who had a PS4 on launch day and and xbox one not long after.

We need to see where the chips fall first :)

Associate
actually to me the biggest game changers are the game swapping speed and the old games getting upscaling and hdr.

the apu was a monolithic die wasnt it? so thatll be expensive, the 1tb ssd will be expensive, the ram will be expensive...

Associate
Which one is faster, how much faster it it and what's the available budget?
Lets say they have the same price/performance. Nvidia's middle tier card is £1000 and scores 1000 points on a GPU benchmark, AMD's middle tier card is £300 and scores 300 points. Going to be somewhat confusing if someone asks for a mid tier GPU recommendation and the responses are split between a £300 card and a £1000 card, don't you think? That's why it's obviously complete nonsense to claim that mid tier has to be the middle card a particular manufacturer offers, it has to be based on the average price.

Soldato
Lets say they have the same price/performance. Nvidia's middle tier card is £1000 and scores 1000 points on a GPU benchmark, AMD's middle tier card is £300 and scores 300 points. Going to be somewhat confusing if someone asks for a mid tier GPU recommendation and the responses are split between a £300 card and a £1000 card, don't you think?

Confusing is the wrong word, but let's be honest that's a completely unrealistic situation and it also only serves to further reinforce my point; tiering needs to be based on performance across the market.
That's why it's obviously complete nonsense to claim that mid tier has to be the middle card a particular manufacturer offers, it has to be based on the average price.
I didn't say that, i said tiering needs to be based on performance. Now, you could segment one manufacturers GPUs, yes, but you woukdbt do that unless you are only interested in one manufacturer. Any reasonable person would tier cards according to their performance Vs the rest of the market. Remember when the rx480 was the fastest GPU AMD offered? Nobody called it a high end gpu...because it wasn't one.

Last edited:
Associate
Confusing is the wrong word, but let's be honest that's a completely unrealistic situation
Unrealistic or not, if the middle performant cards were £1000 due to some new high end tiers with barely any sales, would you recommend the middle performant £1000 cards when somebody asks for a mid range gaming system? If the answer to that is no then you showed exactly why you are wrong.

Soldato
If you only use your PC for games (what a waste) then buy the console. If you have the money buy the console and keep both.

I use my PC for gaming pretty much 95% of the time. If it could only game I would use my laptop/tablet/phone for the other things I sometimes find myself using it for.

No game I play regularly is on console other than RDR2 (and runs at 30fps anyway). Everything else is sim racing and flight sims with the occasional bit of RTS/RPG.

Am I wasting my PC and are you giving good advice here?

Caporegime
Unrealistic or not, if the middle performant cards were £1000 due to some new high end tiers with barely any sales, would you recommend the middle performant £1000 cards when somebody asks for a mid range gaming system? If the answer to that is no then you showed exactly why you are wrong.
The answer to that is of course yes, because a range is defined by performance and perceived value points to the consumer, not sales volumes or popularity.

Your scenario is more an issue of whether or not the person asking the question understands that they are asking the wrong question for their objective.

'Range' is a marketer's construct. If the median card purchase was a 2080 that would not make it mid range.

Associate
Until consoles fully support mouse and keyboard and sync screen technology with high hz, a lot of people will stick with pc even if initially their GPU doesn't quite match up. A 3700x with fast ram, pcie4 ssd, and 3070 or above should outperform next gen. By amd 4000, x670 and nvidia 4000 series, they'll look pretty average mid cycle. Consoles always close the gap on release.

Firstly the whole mouse and keyboard thing , most console gamers i know hate the idea of a mouse and keyboard for gaming on a console , the whole point being everyone is on a level playing field , Microsoft risk diluting what a console is supposed to be and imho have just marketed this as a prebuilt gaming pc that you can never upgrade.

Secondly , i think most console gamers dgaf what the 'specs' are or indeed if its faster than X Y or Z pc , they care about things like '4K !!' and '10x faster than...' Non of these things mean anything as the only thing you can really compare the xbox to is itself , and maybe the ps5 which will no doubt be practically exactly the same hardware but not marketed as a prebuild pc but as a gaming console.

I'll do exactly as a have with all the previous console launches , i'll buy if and when i think it has value and it has any exclusive games that i actually want to play and that are worth playing , i'll play those games and the rest of the games i play i'll play on my pc , i'll upgrade my pc when i think it starts to struggle.

Soldato
And to think that amd has this tech I would outed a graphic card to catch nvidia but the opt for a dumb console never mind the pc wot mongos.
So GPU tech that will see multiple millions of units sold across 2 different consoles and Microsoft's gaming cloud farms, or put it in a super niche market like PC gaming where everybody just buys Nvidia anyway. Hmm, not quite sure AMD are the mongos here.

Oh, and newsflash: this GPU IS coming to PC graphics cards :rolleyes:

Soldato
So GPU tech that will see multiple millions of units sold across 2 different consoles and Microsoft's gaming cloud farms, or put it in a super niche market like PC gaming where everybody just buys Nvidia anyway. Hmm, not quite sure AMD are the mongos here.

Oh, and newsflash: this GPU IS coming to PC graphics cards :rolleyes:

Let's just hope they don't go from dumb to 100% retard and price the equivalent card at £500 or more.

Back
Top Bottom