• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I was originally going to wait for the 3xxx cards but given the on-going situation across the world, release could well be the back end of this year or even early 2021. AIB will lag behind reference cards, coupled with high demand, so it may take a few months to even get one in my machine.

£350 for a 40-50% upgrade (after selling my 1070) which will last 9-12 months minimum seems reasonable to me. I can always sell and move to the 3xxx if the performance increase is worth it.

Yeah a 2070s will be a nice upgrade for you.

I have decided to wait it out, I hope im not waiting forever.

Caporegime
£350 for a 40-50% upgrade (after selling my 1070) which will last 9-12 months minimum seems reasonable to me. I can always sell and move to the 3xxx if the performance increase is worth it.

Agreed. I got my 2080Ti for less than a brand new 2080S at the time so that was a no-brainer, still prob go for £450/500ish after fees on eBay after the new cards are released :cool:

Soldato
Gsync helps a lot at the moment with my 1080 and frames.

Quite impressed. 9/10 games I still more or less max IQ at 1440p.

Currently Division 2 gets me around 50 fps using DX11 (as DX12 crashes) but with Gsync no issues at all.

Smooth.

Control I played over Xmas and maxed that out too.

Soldato
Gsync helps a lot at the moment with my 1080 and frames.

Quite impressed. 9/10 games I still more or less max IQ at 1440p.

Currently Division 2 gets me around 50 fps using DX11 (as DX12 crashes) but with Gsync no issues at all.

Smooth.

Control I played over Xmas and maxed that out too.

Freesync is one thing I'm looking forward to with the new nvidia cards. Currently my gtx 1080 can't do freesync over hdmi but the newer nvidias will work with my screen.

The 2 games I have been playing lately Red dead redemption and Borderlands 3 both are very demanding at 1440p.

50fps feels fine on red dead but I do feel like my 120hz is being wasted. I'm really looking forward to a big upgrade next gen.

Soldato
I'm still kind of hoping that with the launch of the PS5/XBX it forces a drop in GPU prices and/or a step up in performance.

Surely if we can buy an £500 console with ~12 Teraflops Nvidia/AMD are going to have a hard time selling a similarly powered video card for £500 on it's own before you factor in the rest of the computer!

Soldato
That is not reasonable at all, it should be able to last 2-3 years at least. Console gamers pay the same amount that lasts for 6-7 years and that includes cpu, ram etc.

Yes you could say that consoles have always been a better deal but around the time of the Radeon HD 7950/70 pc gaming got really close to the value of consoles. You could build a gaming rig for £600 that blew away any console and would last for a few years. That initiated a pc gaming boom and somewhere along the line things got out of control and pc gaming lost the plot.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm still kind of hoping that with the launch of the PS5/XBX it forces a drop in GPU prices and/or a step up in performance.

Surely if we can buy an £500 console with ~12 Teraflops Nvidia/AMD are going to have a hard time selling a similarly powered video card for £500 on it's own before you factor in the rest of the computer!
That together with covid19 and hopefully we will see the RTX 3070 at around $399. My assumption is that the 3070 will be within 10% the performance of the 2080Ti (likely closing the gap and beating it in time) and have much better Ray Tracing performance.

Soldato
........hopefully we will see the RTX 3070 at around $399. My assumption is that the 3070 will be within 10% the performance of the 2080Ti ....

Given the relative power and pricing of the upcoming games consoles that's what I'm also hoping for and why I'm holding off any upgrades for now!

It feels like a big ask right now but market forces being what they are I think video cards will need to hit that point if they want to tempt gamer's looking to upgrade away from the consoles

Soldato
That is not reasonable at all, it should be able to last 2-3 years at least. Console gamers pay the same amount that lasts for 6-7 years and that includes cpu, ram etc.

Yes you could say that consoles have always been a better deal but around the time of the Radeon HD 7950/70 pc gaming got really close to the value of consoles. You could build a gaming rig for £600 that blew away any console and would last for a few years. That initiated a pc gaming boom and somewhere along the line things got out of control and pc gaming lost the plot.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant it will last me 9-12 months at a minimum if I decide to upgrade for whatever reason to 3xxx. If I choose not to go down that route, it will last years, just like my 1070 has.

Soldato
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant it will last me 9-12 months at a minimum if I decide to upgrade for whatever reason to 3xxx. If I choose not to go down that route, it will last years, just like my 1070 has.

Out of interest are you 120hz or 60hz?

Associate
That together with covid19 and hopefully we will see the RTX 3070 at around $399. My assumption is that the 3070 will be within 10% the performance of the 2080Ti (likely closing the gap and beating it in time) and have much better Ray Tracing performance.

I hope you're right but I think prices will go up because of all of this, unless you're willing to wait for prices to come back down like we had to for crypto.

Soldato
I hope you're right but I think prices will go up because of all of this, unless you're willing to wait for prices to come back down like we had to for crypto.

I'm not so sure. I think selling mid-high end video cards at their current prices (>£400) might be unsustainable if the economy keeps heading the way it is just now.

I don't see many been willing to drop a months rent on a luxury like an expensive video card in the current climate.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
We will see at what nvidia price the cards at. If it is $399 and then Gibbo wants £500+ then we know what’s up :p

I will likely order direct from nvidia and go founders edition now that they have decent coolers on them. Those coolers should be plenty good for a 3070.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
TNA are you getting a 3070?:D

sorry trolling you, bored.
Haha. No problem. Yep indeed I am, unless it turns out to offer silly upgrade in price for performance at which point I may not bother and just get a PS5 on release rather than waiting a year or two for some exclusives to build up. Either way I am happy :)

Soldato
I'm not so sure. I think selling mid-high end video cards at their current prices (>£400) might be unsustainable if the economy keeps heading the way it is just now.

I don't see many been willing to drop a months rent on a luxury like an expensive video card in the current climate.

Its not the economy buying the cards though. Think about all those people sat at home who are not going to the pub, not going to a restaurant, shopping, travelling to work, fuel AND not going on holiday. People with jobs working from home will have the cash to spend because at the moment they are spending very little. The new cards will be priced high they always are regardless of what console comes out.

Back
Top Bottom