DIY Stores and Covid 19

Soldato
Mods: Can be moved to Coronovirus forum if more suitable.

Something I noticed today was that Wickes now has a queuing system online so you can't browse for what you need until you are through the queue. Then you only get 10 minutes to buy your goods.

B&Q and Screwfix are click and collect only. No idea on Homebase.

I would have gone to the local timber merchants but they called me back to say they were closing last week and not doing deliveries. Wickes timber only cost me an extra £30 so not too bad i guess.

Garden looks like a building site at the moment, started the patio last autumn and now we are working at home, I need it done as its driving me mad walking through it each day and its a bit of a death trap.

Soldato
Travis and Perkins went essential work only..

I need blocks and bricks 320/500 so click and collect doesn’t work with my car :p

Associate
I am struggling with them to see what they consider essential items anyway. I have an outstanding order with Screwfix for some items on C&C. I didn't go get it as thought it wasn't essential so ordered online and paid a bit more from Amazon. Now Screwfix are texting me to remind me to come collect it.

I need some coving to finish my sons bedroom and our landing. Its not an essential purchase as its decorating and the house won't fall down if I don't get it but if I C&C will they sell me it? I can't order it for delivery as its showing as collect only on their site.

So far house renovation is grinding to a halt which is fine overall and understandable but would prefer if they were clearer on what I can/can't get as I could find some jobs to do on weekends and evenings to help alleviate boredom.

Soldato
I've still been nipping out if i've needed something. The shops are open so sod it, i think as long as you're not taking the **** going to multiple times a day it's ok.

Travis and Perkins went essential work only..

I need blocks and bricks 320/500 so click and collect doesn’t work with my car :p

There's a few smaller independent firms near me which are still open and delivering. Try ebay too as there's some suppliers there too.

Soldato
There's a few smaller independent firms near me which are still open and delivering. Try ebay too as there's some suppliers there too.

I need to sort out the garden first, weed and move a bush, then worry about blocks. Plenty of time!

Soldato
Was all click and collect at screwfix and toolstation earlier in week but since i needed a few provisions from the supermarket i popped into the post office / general store and was able to browse away unhindered.:D

Associate
Anyone know where I can get bags of ballast and cement delivered in the wiltshire area? I have tried all of the usual places, Wickes, B&Q, Sydnams, Jewson, Travis Perkins, Buildbase, etc, but most are either shut or limiting their stock or have items for click and collect which are too far me to justifiably drive.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of any national suppliers who may be able to provide.

Thanks

Associate
They say essential items only but what is classed as essential :confused:
You can still add and pay for paint,brushes, rollers etc hardly essential but who knows, it's being picked up from toolstation anyway.

Associate
I
Anyone know where I can get bags of ballast and cement delivered in the wiltshire area? I have tried all of the usual places, Wickes, B&Q, Sydnams, Jewson, Travis Perkins, Buildbase, etc, but most are either shut or limiting their stock or have items for click and collect which are too far me to justifiably drive.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of any national suppliers who may be able to provide.

Thanks

I use a company called Longwater close to me (Norfolk.) They operate from quarries. There must be similar setups around you which do the same.

Soldato
OP

Thanks

Go further afield and you might find someone that will deliver. Have you tried independent builders merchants? Maybe under the cover of darkness and a building site? ;)
My decking arrived last week from a company in Nottingham (I'm on South Coast) This is where we were getting it from anyway but shows there are companies that will deliver.

Associate
Used my local timberyard for wood, no restrictions on that. Tried to avoid the orange hell and wickes etc. I did use the collect in store option at screwfix and that was fine. I think the best solution is to go local independent suppliers at this time. Quieter, you are supporting a local firm and probably getting better stuff at the same time.

If you need paint etc and a dose of the ol' Covid 19, then The Range is worth a look. The one near me is still open to browse as it has a Iceland supermarket in it and also sells "DIY" stuff so under the government guidelines is an essential store (twice as essential as most other shops). There is one round the corner from my house and it's been busy with people stocking up on home furnishing and decorating materials the last few weeks. Admittedly I witnessed this while buying a tin of white primer, but I went in on my daily walk with the dog as I go past there most days so in my mind that's OK (obviously the dog waited outside!)

Dave

Associate
They say essential items only but what is classed as essential :confused:
You can still add and pay for paint,brushes, rollers etc hardly essential but who knows, it's being picked up from toolstation anyway.

I am off the mindset that if they sell it and I can get it within a mile from house then it is allowable :)

Soldato
Go further afield and you might find someone that will deliver. Have you tried independent builders merchants? Maybe under the cover of darkness and a building site? ;)
My decking arrived last week from a company in Nottingham (I'm on South Coast) This is where we were getting it from anyway but shows there are companies that will deliver.

What company in nottingham is it? Need some bits and need somewhere still open :p

Back
Top Bottom