4k gaming

Soldato
I am completely out of touch really. My laptop doesn't cut it when outputting to my LG B8. So i'm thinking about getting a new PC.

The laptop is an HP 2018 omen with a 1070 maxq & a 8th gen i7.

Some stuff that can be transferred from my desktop would be an SSD & 3 mechanical drives. Maybe the PSU might be good enough too, But I'm not sure it is a EVGA 750w GQ. Although I don't mind a pre-build it'll probably be quicker to build it myself? I don't need a case, monitor, keyboard or mouse. Although a new case would probably be nice.

Don't want Intel this time around so Ryzen please :)

This is what I have come up with but I think people could probably give me better for the price. I'm looking at £2k maybe a little bit over.

2xE2nVE.png

ZCG4RYk

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Hows this? Bear in mind that Nvidia have new graphics cards coming out sometime soon (when the bug has gone) 2080ti would be a waste of money.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,671.62 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Soldato
OP
Hows this? Bear in mind that Nvidia have new graphics cards coming out sometime soon (when the bug has gone) 2080ti would be a waste of money.

Total: £1,671.62 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Thanks! Will the 3900X really be worth the extra over the 3700X? From reading on these forums people are recommending the 3700X more for gaming. I have seen that the 2080TI would be a waste, How would the 2800S handle games like GTA, Euro truck, Fifa, red dead 2 at 4k? those are the main games I play but I also dabble in a lot of others too. I also have my eye on cyberpunk later in the year.

Thanks for fixing my post hilly <3

Associate
Thanks! Will the 3900X really be worth the extra over the 3700X? From reading on these forums people are recommending the 3700X more for gaming. I have seen that the 2080TI would be a waste, How would the 2800S handle games like GTA, Euro truck, Fifa, red dead 2 at 4k? those are the main games I play but I also dabble in a lot of others too. I also have my eye on cyberpunk later in the year.

Thanks for fixing my post hilly <3

I actually play all those games mentioned. The 2080s would be complete overkill. None are particularly taxing, RDR2 the most. GTA and Euro Truck are years old, Fifa will happily run on a low end card. I'd be tempted to go with a 5700XT at half the price.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I wouldn't be looking at doing another upgrade for a few years so it really needs to be able to last at least 3 years I'd say.

I'm not overly fussed about hitting 120fps, 60fps is totally fine for me. So that is another consideration.

Soldato
Thanks! Will the 3900X really be worth the extra over the 3700X? From reading on these forums people are recommending the 3700X more for gaming.
At 3840x2160 in heavier games GPU will be the bottleneck without cutting settings, no matter if you sell your family into slavery.
(and NVidia would no doubt demand you to pay their upkeep)

You would have to be raising cattle by feeding them banknotes to consider Nvidia's brand scam, which is only 35-40% faster than £1000 cheaper Radeon 5700 XT to be sensible.
Neither is 2080 Super is much better for ~20-25% more performance over half cheaper Radeon.
Unless you count paying high luxury price from next-gen console level GPU as sensible.

Now is simply historically bad time to buy expensive graphics card.
Top models have always had extra in price, but Nvidia took that rape&robbery to stratospheric level.
And with Stockholm syndrome infected sheepples asking for more, also new card prices will be no doubt Coronavirus extra priced, if Nvidia gets to release first.
Right time to buy expensive card will be only when both maker GPUs are out and there's hopefully at least half the competition of CPUs

At £150 level you should be looking at least absolutely future proof 2x16GB amount of memory, instead of RGB bloatware priced standard amount.

Thanks, I wouldn't be looking at doing another upgrade for a few years so it really needs to be able to last at least 3 years I'd say.
For staying in high end you'll have to upgrade GPU long before that anyway.

And in two years improved Zen3 architecture CPUs should be in discount giving nice single core and multi core update path.
At least 12 core should drop closer to new 8 cores in price.

Soldato

Ok I've tweaked it. According to this, RDR2 needs a 5700xt or 2070 super to run at 4k 30fps.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/red-dead-redemption-2-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/4.html

Total: £1,300.99 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Soldato
OP
Thanks EsaT, Hilly knows all too well what I think of GPU prices right now in short it is blind robbery. It is one of the reasons I'm so hesitant on upgrading, But I really want to play some games while I am off for this long haul.

To be fair I really don't like RGB rubbish, It was just a quick add as I was looking through ocuk. Saw that it was Ryzen tested thats the main reason I added those to the basket!

If you had £2k to spend right now how would you go about it?

Thanks Grimley, I appreciate that, Well under the budget I wanted to spend too which is cool, I'd rather an AIO than an air cooler though. I could probably opt for 32gb ram with that build.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I wouldn't throw 2k at a gaming rig for the sake of spending all that money, I've learned that PC building is a law of diminishing returns and all PC hardware has a 'shelf life'. The more you spend the less proportion of performance you get. My advice is to look at your requirements & spend what is necessary to what you need. Not the absolute minimum, but comfortable. I'm not keen on AIO's as with the Luck I have (which is none) it would leak or the pump would fail causing overheating.

A decent air cooler can match an AIO in some cases. 32GB at 3600 is a bit thin on the ground at OCUK for paired RAM. You could go for all 4 dimm slots filled on the board, but I'm in unknown territory with that scenario, so I've no idea as regards issues/boot failure if you do that.

Soldato
OP
How does this look?

Total: £1,301.56 (includes shipping: £11.70)

I understand your concerns with AIO's to be honest though I have never had an issue with them(crosses fingers) I could probably swap out the 3700X for a 3900X if thats wise to do.

Soldato
To be fair I really don't like RGB rubbish, It was just a quick add as I was looking through ocuk. Saw that it was Ryzen tested thats the main reason I added those to the basket!
First gen Ryzen/Zen"1" was surely "challenging" in memory support for quite long time with only few types working easily.
Zen+ improved some, but Zen2 improved memory controller lot and nowadays pretty much any memory should work at XMP.

While this £150 kit is only 3200MHz, latencies are nice (sluggish in that Corsair) and 16GB DIMMs being dual ranks giving some extra game performance from command interleaving.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs432g320c6k-my-106-pa.html

These Micron rev.E chips are again known for reliably overlocking to 3600MHz at tighter lantencies than those Corsairs
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cruc...b-kit-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3200-udimm-my-20d-cr.html

And of course 32GB won't run out even in the heaviest games even without closing web browsers etc from background.

Only thing that has going for it is very high speed fans and it's certainly beaten in continuous cooling per noise by the best still cheaper heatpipe coolers.
All that talk about some "high" depth for specially high surface area is marketing BS.

I mean that's 49mm thick.
For comparison £43 Scythe Mugen 5 has 85mm of depth in its fin stack.
Many others are in same class and duel towers even more.
And none of them have such aircraft turbines as fans.
Once temperature rise slowing water's heat capacity runs out those noise makers are going to start readying for take off.

Also with more honest TDPs than in Intels Ryzens aren't such Chernobyls needing absolute top level cooling to avoid explosion.
Ryzen 3700X is actually really low power CPU for its performance.
And while 3900X starts putting out more watts when fully loaded, that's only natural when it has 50% more cores.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for taking the time to reply EsaT. What is the stock cooler like with the amds? Had a look at the scythe mugen but it is out of stock on Ocuk.

This is what I've got so far with what's been said in this thread, Added in a new case too.

Total: £1,561.56 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Like I say I'm so out of touch, The last time I did anything like this is when the 4690k came around :D

Soldato
OP
I think I am going to pull the trigger on the last post I made. I will be doing it in the morning, So if there is anything I should change can I get a heads up?

Soldato
You could save money on the board with a B450 Tomahawk MAX.

The 650W version of that psu is enough.

I would stick with the 3700X. You can easily upgrade the cpu in a few years if needed.

The 750D is pretty dated. No way it is worth £150 anyway. There are nice cases for under £100.

If you are going with a 2070S then the Gigabyte windforce is only £10 more and you get UK warranty plus a forum rep on here.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Lee, I've bought it already now. But I did change the 2070s to a Gigabyte one!

Have some headroom with the PSU I guess, thats no worries.

I just wanted a plain jane case really. I could have probably got better but that is ok :)

Soldato
Thanks for taking the time to reply EsaT. What is the stock cooler like with the amds?
Better than Intel's absolutely minimal buzzaws, but mostly not especially good.
Though highest Wraith Prism would actually make excellent cooler for 6 cores. (and very well priced here in Finland)
But for fully loaded 8 cores it's starting to lack if wanting to avoid noise.
And 12 core under full load is just going to overwhelm it without it sounding like airplane in take off.
Already £21 Arctic Freezer 34 would be level up with 12cm fan.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-077-ar.html

Have some headroom with the PSU I guess, thats no worries.

I just wanted a plain jane case really. I could have probably got better but that is ok :)
Phanteks Amp would have given three years more warranty for £3 less than SuperFlower.

And that 750D is way more functional design and lot more future proof case than "modern" disposable fashion toys.
Want more/new connectors?
Just add them into 5.25" bay and you're good to go without need for buying new case and moving parts over:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akas...-front-bay-for-usb-2.0-3.0-3.1-hd-059-ak.html

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Built it yesterday & after a major headache all day & lots of cursing at hilly wondering why it wasn't working properly, It turns out my SSD died/dying. But it is all up & running now, Very rapid impressed totally.

I will have to buy an m.2 sooner than I expected. For about £70 what would you recommend? I've been looking at this one

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds250g3x0c-hd-55t-wd.html

Soldato
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Built it yesterday & after a major headache all day & lots of cursing at hilly wondering why it wasn't working properly, It turns out my SSD died/dying. But it is all up & running now, Very rapid impressed totally.

I will have to buy an m.2 sooner than I expected. For about £70 what would you recommend? I've been looking at this one

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds250g3x0c-hd-55t-wd.html

That SSD is a bit pricey.

The WD Blue SN550 500GB is better value if buying from ocuk.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds500g2b0c-hd-56k-wd.html

Back
Top Bottom