• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
No, my point is perfectly valid. Whether I choose to buy a card or not is irrelevant. The fact is there are GPUs on the market that cost obscene amounts of money, so it is entirely possible for an upgrade to cost £1,000, which you claim is an "exaggeration". It's not. It's true.

Besides, nobody is forcing you into buying a console, yet you incessantly cry about them. Take heed of your own advice, perchance?

You can also buy a £1m Bugatti, does that mean you shouldn't buy any car and just cycle everywhere? Except there are £25k road bikes,so maybe we should just walk, barefoot.

Soldato
You can also buy a £1m Bugatti, does that mean you shouldn't buy any car and just cycle everywhere? Except there are £25k road bikes,so maybe we should just walk, barefoot.
lolwhut? The simple fact that a £25K road bike exists means that £25K to "upgrade" your bike is a real thing, not an exaggeration.

I don't know what y'all getting confused about. Radeon VII cost £800 at launch. So did the RTX 2080. The RTX 2080 Ti cost over 1 grand. These 3 cards for the longest time represented the only real upgrades from the previous generation, so it is entirely possible that a PC gaming rig upgrade could cost you £1,000. And yet Rock_n_roll spits "exaggeration"? Tosh and pish.

Soldato
lolwhut? The simple fact that a £25K road bike exists means that £25K to "upgrade" your bike is a real thing, not an exaggeration.

I don't know what y'all getting confused about. Radeon VII cost £800 at launch. So did the RTX 2080. The RTX 2080 Ti cost over 1 grand. These 3 cards for the longest time represented the only real upgrades from the previous generation, so it is entirely possible that a PC gaming rig upgrade could cost you £1,000. And yet Rock_n_roll spits "exaggeration"? Tosh and pish.

I think your taking their posts to literal. I'm sure they meant that whilst you can spend £1000 to upgrade, you don't have to....

Soldato
I think your taking their posts to literal. I'm sure they meant that whilst you can spend £1000 to upgrade, you don't have to....
No, I think D.P. is taking my retort to Rock_n_Roll's trolling too literally, or it's his usual knee-jerk reaction to instantly disagree the moment Nvidia is mentioned in a sentence. £1,000 to upgrade a gaming PC is not an exaggeration (which RnR claims it to be in his fevered anti-console ramblings), it is a very real prospect. Whether you do it or not is irrelevant.

But as this point seems to be flying over everybody's heads, and is not really relevant to the conversation at hand any more, let's just drop it.

Soldato
No, I think D.P. is taking my retort to Rock_n_Roll's trolling too literally, or it's his usual knee-jerk reaction to instantly disagree the moment Nvidia is mentioned in a sentence. £1,000 to upgrade a gaming PC is not an exaggeration (which RnR claims it to be in his fevered anti-console ramblings), it is a very real prospect. Whether you do it or not is irrelevant.

But as this point seems to be flying over everybody's heads, and is not really relevant to the conversation at hand any more, let's just drop it.

I doubt Nvidia targets their cards specifically at people who bought the previous generation. Surely the 2080ti is for people who previously bought a 780ti or a 980ti?

This £1000 upgrade cost only applies if you're coming from something like a 1080ti. If you're coming from a 760, 770, 780, 780ti, 960, 970, 980 etc then the cost of a decent night/day upgrade is nowhere near £1000.
It does not cost £1000 to upgrade a GPU.

Soldato
I doubt Nvidia targets their cards specifically at people who bought the previous generation. Surely the 2080ti is for people who previously bought a 780ti or a 980ti?

This £1000 upgrade cost only applies if you're coming from something like a 1080ti. If you're coming from a 760, 770, 780, 780ti, 960, 970, 980 etc then the cost of a decent night/day upgrade is nowhere near £1000.
It does not cost £1000 to upgrade a GPU.

sorry, but what are you talking about? Did you just want to rant about something because you obviously didn't read or maybe didn't understand the post you are replying to.

LePhuronn isn't saying that you must spend a £1000 to upgrade your PC or that it's the best option. He was just replying to someone who said that spending £1000 to upgrade your PC was an exaggeration. It's not an exaggeration, it's very easy to spend £1000 upgrading your PC and lots of people have spent that and more. He used the prices of some graphic cards as examples of things that cost around a £1000.

Caporegime
Well that remains to be seen.

If someone is currently using a 2500k and an RX 480, for example, then we know they're going to need a new CPU + GPU + mem + mobo + PSU (etc), to match the perf of the new consoles.

How much exactly they would need to spend will depend on the perf of the new consoles, and the perf of new PC parts, and the costs of both.

Not something I can claim to know right now!

But in general, the argument that you "can't do PC things on a console" is a bit silly. You can do PC things on your old PC, even if you choose to switch your purely gaming activities to a console.

For people who are addicted to modding their games that will be a factor in favour of PC.

For people who just want the best perf at the lowest cost, the likelihood is the consoles will be a stronger offering than the cost of upgrading the PC (to a spec that matches console perf).

Associate

Yep, exactly. People on here stating you need to spend a grand on a GPU are talking complete pish. You don't need to spend that on a GPU to have a great experience on PC. Not surprising at all, that obviously went over some peoples head on here.

I'm playing through my library just now and waiting on Nvidia's 4 series or AMD equivalent (RNDA 3), when it's time to buy i'll have a great boost in performance for a decent price. But i won't need to spend a grand.

Caporegime
Yep, exactly. People on here stating you need to spend a grand on a GPU are talking complete pish. You don't need to spend that on a GPU to have a great experience on PC. Not surprising at all, that obviously went over some peoples head on here.

I'm playing through my library just now and waiting on Nvidia's 4 series or AMD equivalent (RNDA 3), when it's time to buy i'll have a great boost in performance for a decent price. But i won't need to spend a grand.
I didn't say a grand on a GPU, I said a grand on a PC upgrade. And it was your reply to me that started this whole conversation.

As I posted above that is not a ridiculous figure, given where we think the new consoles will end up (perf wise).

CPU + GPU + mobo + RAM + PSU... that can easily be a grand. Easily.

Heck a 5700 XT is £350 and the console GPU will be miles better than that. An 8/16 CPU is £260 (current gen). There's £600 for starters... That's the cost of your console in two PC parts.

Associate
Heck a 5700 XT is £350 and the console GPU will be miles better than that. An 8/16 CPU is £260 (current gen). There's £600 for starters... That's the cost of your console in two PC parts.

Sigh, ok you need to stop comparing a multi-purpose device to a console. It's not an apple to apples comparison. They are completely different beasts.

Also, everyones PC is different, some might only need to upgrade their GPU, others may only need to upgrade their CPU, some might not even need to upgrade, etc. There is no absolutes here.

Stating every single person on PC will need to upgrade is just pish talk. You should know better!

Anyway, the platforms are completely different and there really is no point in comparing them and like most, i do more than just play games. Therefore, consoles are irrelevant.

Only want to play games - buy a console.

Want to play games, but also be productive and be on a platform without the limitations of a console - Build/buy a PC.

It's that simple.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sigh, ok you need to stop comparing a multi-purpose device to a console. It's not an apple to apples comparison. They are completely different beasts.
For the purposes of gaming you can compare them, of course!

A PC can play games and a console plays games so a comparison of gaming performance, or other metrics, like perf/£ is applicable, no?

Also, everyones PC is different, some might only need to upgrade their GPU, others may only need to upgrade their CPU, some might not even need to upgrade, etc. There is no absolutes here.

Stating every single person on PC will need to upgrade is just pish talk. You should know better!
Show me where I did that.

Anyway, the platforms are completely different and there really is no point in comparing them and like most, i do more than just play games. Therefore, consoles are irrelevant.

Only want to play games - buy a console.

Want to play games, but also be productive and be on a platform without the limitations of a console - Build/buy a PC.

It's that simple.
I imagine the people who don't have a PC, and are choosing between ONLY having a PC or ONLY having a console, would be very limited in number indeed.

Most of us are weighing up a PC *upgrade* vs buying a console, for *gaming*.

Soldato
With the specs of these new consoles I do wonder if Adobe Permiere and Sony Vega could be ported to next gen console though.
People on a lesser spec PC have been using those programs for a long time. One of the limitations for developers would be money/resources.
IE: Developers for both would need to ask themselves: "Is there a profitable market selling our products on console to offset the cost of production?" For example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom