• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Associate
I already updated to the latest chipset drivers and the bios, and it’s a fresh windows install as all the parts are brand new.

Il try disabling pbo as some people say this causes issues, it seems that when I first turn on the pc and run cs:go.. it runs at like nearly 400 FPS, then after a while it will run at 120, are there any Radeon software settings that can cause this? my temps are fine, using a noctua nh d-14.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Radeon chill disabled?

Associate
I tried everything, changed all the amd settings, tinkered with everything, it really did my head in :D, then while looking at the FPS number while in cs go I noticed that when the discord overlay comes on the screen and says “stream cs:go to your friends” it dropped right down to 120. A little more digging and apparently when you have discord hardware acceleration option on in the settings it can cause issues /FPS drops, I turned off discord and it shot back upto 350-400 FPS.

I put the standard mode on and turned off the hardware acceleration and all seems fine :) thank god for that. Cheers for the input guys

Man of Honour
I tried everything, changed all the amd settings, tinkered with everything, it really did my head in :D, then while looking at the FPS number while in cs go I noticed that when the discord overlay comes on the screen and says “stream cs:go to your friends” it dropped right down to 120. A little more digging and apparently when you have discord hardware acceleration option on in the settings it can cause issues /FPS drops, I turned off discord and it shot back upto 350-400 FPS.

I put the standard mode on and turned off the hardware acceleration and all seems fine :) thank god for that. Cheers for the input guys
Yay :D

Caporegime
Is a 3600 still considered a good buy at the moment for an all-rounder home PC? I take it 6 cores will still be good for all games for a few years?

Really struggling to decide between 6 and 8 cores. A lot of people seem to be pointing out that the new consoles will be 8 cores, but does it matter?

Caporegime
Is a 3600 still considered a good buy at the moment for an all-rounder home PC? I take it 6 cores will still be good for all games for a few years?

Really struggling to decide between 6 and 8 cores. A lot of people seem to be pointing out that the new consoles will be 8 cores, but does it matter?

It does matter because the de facto standard for game development is consoles, they all want their games on consoles. If those consoles have more grunt and more threads the games become more demanding of hardware.

The new consoles are effectively a Ryzen 3700X and an RTX 2080/S, a Ryzen 3600 is going to be just fine for a couple more years yet as games catch up with the new hardware, but if you plan on keeping the system long term, more than 2 years get a 3700X.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Well its not just about the cores as where apps can utilise them, and spreading the load on the system there is 12 threads. I came from a 8 core 8 thread so this was an upgrade. If and lets say porting console games was as simple as the above post if, you need an 8 core then at the time this becomes apparent, I would upgrade the 3600 for a 3700X. Swap it in, sell it on or use it in a spare rig.

Where this is on shady ground is the console will use some of the 8 cores for its own OS or background abilities like streaming so technically I dont think just because it is marketed as 8 cores, its going to use them all for games.

Soldato
Hey guys

Just moved over to a 3600 on a b450 msi tomahawk max and 16 gbbof crucial ballistix @ 3600.

temps are crazy when gaming hitting 90 odd.

im in the stock cooler but even then that seems excessive?

new cooler time?

the noise on the stock is mad even after running running , even on desktop sits at 2000 rpm

hrlp

Associate
Hey guys

Just moved over to a 3600 on a b450 msi tomahawk max and 16 gbbof crucial ballistix @ 3600.

new cooler time?

Yeah that seems hot. What case you got? I'm planning to upgrade my cpu to a 4000 series so I purchased a Noctua NH-D15 in black overkill but the temps never get over 65 ish degrees gaming for hours I do have a big case the phanteks P600S. Just my couple of pennies mate. It's an awesome CPU though.

Soldato
Yeah that seems hot. What case you got? I'm planning to upgrade my cpu to a 4000 series so I purchased a Noctua NH-D15 in black overkill but the temps never get over 65 ish degrees gaming for hours I do have a big case the phanteks P600S. Just my couple of pennies mate. It's an awesome CPU though.
I previously had a noctua and think I’ll bite the bullet. I’ve got an old bitfenix neo case with a good fan in and one out. Noise and temps wrecking me. Msi fan tuning seems a bit off too compared to my Asus RPG board. On that tuning them, the system was silent on desktop

Associate
Hey guys

new cooler time?

the noise on the stock is mad even after running running , even on desktop sits at 2000 rpm

hrlp

Did you take the plastic off the bottom of the cooler?

I would remount the cooler as the stock cooler, although not great should be better than that.

Soldato
Bit of an update - after doing the above gaming seems to sit around 85c. HWMonitor was showing it peaked at 93 at one point. Fan is still noisy and the system sits aorund 45-50c on desktop.

Using windows balanced power profile and tuned the fans. No escaping it, I need a better cooler I think?

Associate
Got a similar set up but the X, hovers around the low 40's on desktop too.Not played a huge amount of games on it yet but playing The Witcher 3 it bumps up to around 60.

Soldato
When I built my Ryzen 3600 system I used the stock cooler as I’d bought a micro atx case, never again I’m sticking with full sized cases, and the Noctua cooler I have stashed was far too tall.

Whilst my temps were not as high as yours they were in the 80s during gaming. I bought a cooler short enough to fit, also under volted the cpu, and temps whilst gaming get to the low 70s at most but mostly seem to be in the high 60s.

Soldato
I have the tomahawk and a 3600 but snagged the wraith prism off my brother as he got an aio for his 3700x. It's done a good job with gaming temps between 50-60 and full load at 67c and that's running a 4.2 all core OC @1.325v, it looks nice too with the RGB.

I would definetly recommend it especially if you can pick one up for cheap as they ship with the 8 and 12 core ryzens and many will just upgrade the cooler so there's a few knocking about.

Soldato
I have the tomahawk and a 3600 but snagged the wraith prism off my brother as he got an aio for his 3700x. It's done a good job with gaming temps between 50-60 and full load at 67c and that's running a 4.2 all core OC @1.325v, it looks nice too with the RGB.

I would definetly recommend it especially if you can pick one up for cheap as they ship with the 8 and 12 core ryzens and many will just upgrade the cooler so there's a few knocking about.
That’s an option and thank you all for your replies. Discovered noctua will ship me a free AM4 bracket for my u12s. Alternatively the prism cooler can be found easily for £20 . Going to reuse the noctua and see where I get

Soldato
So a further update. Fitted my U12s. 3600 now much quieter and temps much more 'normal'. My home office is in the attic and when gaming now I've not seen it breach 80, though the amient temp is high here

Back
Top Bottom