I NEED YOU! : £4000 Gaming & Workstation PC Build Support

Soldato
if you decide to stick with the mainstream socket (aka 3950x or next gen) then that will save you a tonne of money which can be put into a gpu (could have enough to buy the next gen titan if that's what its named) if the next gen card has anything like 8192 cuda cores your looking at some serous grunt gpu wise.
a 3950x cpu will be slower than threadripper chip but if you fell the mainstream socket is better suited to your needs, go ahead the one upside is it will save you a lot of money which can be used for the above or plough into ssd storage arrays for ultra quick access to your files.

(best not to have too many drives as you'll quickly use up available pci-e lanes on the mainsteam socket from the cpu and the chipset, have one m.2 gen 4 drive and a couple of 2tb ssd's that way you shouldn't run into any bottlenecks storage wise)

Associate
OP
November/December 2020 is the timeframe I am looking at for purchase primarily because:

1. Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Christmas Deals normally provide the best window for discounting on PC parts.
2. Nvidia at that point should have released their new GPU' providing a choice and price vs performance argument for both the existing GPU selection and their new selection against AMD' new and existing GPU' as well.
3. Also, saving up £3-4k for just a PC does take time as such, I am tempering my expectations accordingly to avoid disappointing myself with an unrealistic timescale.

I hope this provides clarity @Journey to the questions you raised in your previous post.

Associate
OP
@wookiee87 Thank you for your insight. I think I am going with the mainstream socket. It will probably be the 3950x given the price to performance of the chipset as well as the additional funds that could be ploughed into a higher spec GPU - As you say, potentially Titan Class of Nvidia' next set.

I think the storage does need to be looked at potentially 3 drives is what I am looking at now having done further research.

* 2 SSD' with 2TB capacity each. (PSD & Premiere Pro Files / Standard File Storage etc.)
* 1 NVmE M.2 SSD with 1-2TB capacity (AAA Games / OS Boot Drive/ Anything else necessitating fast access and read/write speeds - Corsair' MP510 Drive offers excellent Price to Performance in this space however the 970 Evo Plus will be considered given its hefty expense).

This will prevent, as you say potential storage bottlenecking whilst also providing 5TB+ of minimum 550mb read and write speeds for storage access.

If anyone has any further insight on the build I posted at the top of the thread please get involved!

Soldato
1 NVmE M.2 SSD with 1-2TB capacity (AAA Games / OS Boot Drive/ Anything else necessitating fast access and read/write speeds - Corsair' MP510 Drive offers excellent Price to Performance in this space however the 970 Evo Plus will be considered given its hefty expense).

on this front I'd recommend a corsair mp600 gen 4 m.2 they offer capacities from 500gb to 2tb and are blisteringly quick, i should know as i have the 500gb variant for my boot drive and a couple of core games i play, trust me that drive shreds through everything you could possible throw at it, as long as its kept cool, mine never exceeds 55 degrees under sustained load, its just nice having 4900mb read and 3250 write speeds makes gen 3 drive look positivity slow :)

tbh I've got such an itch to swap out my 3900x for a 3950x but i know i don't need that much cpu grunt for what i do, it would be nice to post higher 3dmark score's though XD, i must hold off as i'm also thinking of going for a next gen nvidia card when they drop or hell buy both when the gpu's drop who know's :)

Last edited:
Associate
If your buying towards the end of the year dont do anything right now, heck there will be a new assortment of high end video cards by then and of course Zen3 which will be a ball-buster.

Soldato
Getting back to the NVMe SSD's, especially the PCI-E 4.0 ones, the current crop of drives are pretty slow in comparison to what 4x PCI-E 4.0 lanes can do, and the controllers are first generation. I've mainly avoided using them unless specifically needed, the real gains are to be seen when Samsung release the 980 range of drives offering 6,500 MB/s reads, and 5,000 MB/s writes which is a worth while improvement over the very fast PCI-E 3.0 drives which are 50% of the price of the current PCI-E 4.0 drives.

By the end of the year you will see a few controllers offering vastly improved performance and 128+ layered NAND flash chips to match with them, better density, lower cost and better performance with the matching controller.

Back
Top Bottom