CPU Folders - Look at BOINC for Covid-19

Soldato
R@H has been banging away at covid19 tasks like crazy over the last few days.
Some F@H have appeared but few and far between.

Soldato
No tasks since yesterday on BOINC, for me. It's just sitting empty. I've restarted the client, rebooted, tried Arch Linux and Windows, reset the project... They just don't have tasks. Good news for them. :) Bad news for my points. :mad::D No FaH tasks this afternoon either.

Soldato
Certainly an issue with OS X & boinc - I had 30% drop in cpu load and found tasks sat idle “waiting for memory” which memory available. Quick reboot and all started back to normal rate.

setting a higher multiplier for Downloading tasks may be good for you folks - typically it takes 8h out of a 3day wu expiry limit.

Soldato
In the preferences Disk and Memory setting there's a "use at max % ..." various memory and swap space. This was at 50% when in use, 70% for something else.. so now all those are at 100% and all seems fine with the memory issue - the paused tasks are now resumed.

Soldato
You can set priorities as well, though it works as a ratio not a percentage. I have Rosetta@home and World Community Grid ('smash childhood cancer') enabled, with Rosetta set to 150 and WCG set to 50. That works out as 75% for Rosetta/Coronavirus and 25% for WCG/cancer (though it will pick up the slack when Rosetta is quiet and short of WU).

Soldato
Currently running 31GB out of 32GB.. and 0 bytes of swap which is good work.. as long as the swap space doesn't start thrashing the SSD I'm happy.

edit: I did note a little drop in performance (8K to 7K) so I suspect that there's some contention.

Last edited:
Soldato
I set the number of WU cached to a higher number, also then let worldcomputinggrid fill that as there's no R@H work atm, also one F@H popped in. So the machine is chewing WU again :)

The world grid WUs are about 30m-2h long for mapping cancer markers, so there always seems a mass of those todo.

Man of Honour
Anyone know of a Linux deployment for this, or an OVF based VM perhaps? My PC runs ESXi during the day with my nested lab and I'm using spare capacity to fold at the moment, but I'd also like to configure Rosetta on it as well.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Anyone know of a Linux deployment for this, or an OVF based VM perhaps? My PC runs ESXi during the day with my nested lab and I'm using spare capacity to fold at the moment, but I'd also like to configure Rosetta on it as well.
Pardon my ignorance, my PCs are SEXi :D, not really sure what ESXi lets you do but if you can run Folding@Home already why can't you run Rosetta through Boinc ?
They are having some problems with linux WUs at the moment, those under Windows are fine though.

Man of Honour
Pardon my ignorance, my PCs are SEXi :D, not really sure what ESXi lets you do but if you can run Folding@Home already why can't you run Rosetta through Boinc ?
They are having some problems with linux WUs at the moment, those under Windows are fine though.
ESXi is the VMware vSphere type 1 hypervisor. I work for VMware and my gaming PC runs it natively so I can run labs and test stuff throughout the working day. I've got a Folding@Home appliance deployed on it which was developed by the VMware internal community, I was hoping there would be a similar one for BOINC. I'll just run a Ubuntu VM and configure it there or if there's issues with Linux then I'll run it in a Windows VM.

When I'm done with the lab I simply reboot it into Windows 10. You can read more about my setup here.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Ok, so you just wanted a pre-built thing like a VM with Boinc on it.
I do have an OVF for VBox that I use to deploy my Monkeys but you know what to do and it is just a bit of time to get a VM up and running anyway :)

Man of Honour
Yeah it won't take me long, I have a self building Ubuntu ISO which deploys in a few minutes, then I'll just install BOINC onto that.

Back
Top Bottom