***The Wine Thread***

Soldato
Got my two orders today, then accodentally ordered six Moss Wood Amy's Bordeaux blend 2017, from Margaret River AUS. A steal at £9.36 each. End of month surplus price at 50% off.

Must stop buying wine.

Soldato
should be some good offers soon - r4 today, this morning
- apparently, due to trade restrictions with the USA, French Chateaus, as they described them, need to offload;
equally I had not realised supermarkets, majestic etc, had stockpiled pre earlier no deal brexit anticipation.

Soldato
The missus is coming home from Malaysia for the foreseeable CoV future, which puts pressure on my classy red haul. Coincided with Vivino discounting some whites... so I moved quickly

yCAq60G.png

Edit: should keep her quiet for two weeks.

Soldato
OP
My wife only drinks reds... think of my horror...

speaking of horrors, I forgot to tell you... let me upload the tragic event that occurred when a small 4yr old child, who isn't mine, decided to run backwards away from my dogs and into a box of special edition Nativ, that was sitting at the top of the concrete basement stairs. One plus, the box stopped her falling down the concrete stairs backwards. The downside was 4 bottles of smashed nativ. Her mum replaced the bottles with some supermarket wine... I hate to be ungrateful but I really wish she hadn't. I know she was being nice but I won't drink it lol

Soldato
OP
I could have... should have but so much glass lol

EDIT: bloody imgur, try this: https://imgur.com/E0uQrZp
E0uQrZp.mp4

Soldato
Where does it all go? I have quite a few great reds left but have had to order some lighter stuff. I can't be on the 14.5%+ stuff every night.

I've ordered twelve lighter reds, an Aussie and a Cali Pinot Noir, a French Cab Franc, and an Aussie unoaked Grenache.

Soldato
OP
My wife actually agreed while we were having a BBQ that we in fact did need to order some wine as we are missing some crucial price point wines thanks to lockdown. I was going to order some primos as I know I can get great bang for buck on them, but instead I ended up going for the 13.50-15 euro price point and not Italian.

X3Zjb1O.png

Got 6 cabs, 6 merlots and one of their others. Seem like the wine we had when over there and great value! We paid 13.50 for these, ordered monday evening and they arrived this morning!

Now I need to order in some italian sub 10er bottles so we have a decent 30ish bottles in "everyday" section! I'll have to do that so I don't get shouted at mind!

Soldato
Impressed by this Chablis this evening..

JzBgRdZ.jpg

It was a choice of this or opening the bottles in the box for a red... Margaux, ch.d.Pape, Pomerol, St. Emilion etc..

I've had quite a bit of Chablis in the past - being a lover of seafood.. this is the chablis mineral without a stabbing hit of acid. Smooth as silk almost creamy. Would seriously recommend.

I like my wine non-chilled same as my beers (even French) - you get a bigger hit of flavours and there's nowhere to hide.

I estimate I have a bottle/month before I can get to France to restock!

Soldato
We went for a dog walk yesterday, got home and sat on the sofa and decided to open a bottle of Prosecco. That got finished around 4pm and we both decided we fancied some red wine. I need to do a new online order and we had nothing in at all, so i went to the local shop.

As expected choice was limited and what they did have was overpriced. I ended up with a Campo Viejo and 19 Crimes at £9 each :( (Decided that if we're opening a bottle at 4pm, then it makes sense to buy 2 bottles...)

When i first started drinking red wine, the Yellow Label Campo Viejo was my "go to" bottle, however i've not had it for a long time and i can see why. It tasted like water just with heaps of tannins. Really unenjoyable. Really shows how tastes change.

Back
Top Bottom