10 year upgrade

Associate
Good morning,

Please help spec my new mobo, cpu, storage build. 10 years ago I upgrade my pc's mobo and cpu after the previous ones died. Since then a lot has changed in the CPU, mobo market. As I'm still catching up on the changes and reviews of new tech, I hoped to call on the collective knowledge of members in the forum. I've never built an AMD machine before (mainly as 10 years ago AMD were rubbish).

Here is what I have placed into my basket, this is a little rich for my liking but its a first pass. I run linux as my main os and mainly play RTS/empire games and I have recently started a little video editing so some head room would be great. I don't think I'll be overclocking this build, though I like to add in the option.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,026.02 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

If anyone out there could suggest a build which came in sub £1,000 that would be great.

Soldato
Good morning,

Please help spec my new mobo, cpu, storage build. 10 years ago I upgrade my pc's mobo and cpu after the previous ones died. Since then a lot has changed in the CPU, mobo market. As I'm still catching up on the changes and reviews of new tech, I hoped to call on the collective knowledge of members in the forum. I've never built an AMD machine before (mainly as 10 years ago AMD were rubbish).

Here is what I have placed into my basket, this is a little rich for my liking but its a first pass. I run linux as my main os and mainly play RTS/empire games and I have recently started a little video editing so some head room would be great. I don't think I'll be overclocking this build, though I like to add in the option.

Total: £1,026.02 (includes shipping: £11.10)

If anyone out there could suggest a build which came in sub £1,000 that would be great.

better AIO/CLC unit !
better NVMe as not QLC but TLC

Total: £978.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)

want cheap QLC then crucial selling 1TB NVMe for £100 and ARGB 3600 ram for under £100

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want that "10 year reliability" better forget waterpipe coolers.
Those have way too many degradation/wear mechanisms, which all lead to eventual catastrophic loss of cooling.
While in heatpipe coolers only thing which can fail is cheap and easy to replace fan, whose failure doesn't kill all cooling.
Also high end heatpipe coolers actually aren't much any worser in continuous cooling per noise...
Than the best waterpipe coolers and beat average ones easily.

Already this 75€ Noctua would be way enough for 3900X, whose TDP is more honest than in Intels.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-d15s-dual-radiator-quiet-cpu-cooler-hs-031-nc.html

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses, here is version 2 of my basket with the feedback.

Total: £803.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Finally I want to replace the case fans from my corsair 540 with more silent ones. Whats the best case fans in terms of noise currently on the market?

Soldato
£89 vs 74... personally would go Eisbaer LT . can run at 500 rpm just fine. But yeah, Thread rippers from AMD really only need water units, specially for 64 cores clocked to 4.2- air coolers cant handle it

if not Dark rock 4

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-cpu-cooler-hs-01c-bq.html

better ram compatibility with 4 dimm slots pop

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-l12s-low-profile-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-03g-nc.html

low profile can run 3900 at 3.8ghz with 80c heat , so AMD have done well!! ^^^^^

15dB at MAX 100%

but £££

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-silent-wings-3-140mm-pwm-fan-fg-038-bq.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Whats the best case fans in terms of noise currently on the market?
Per price Arctic P12/P14 are definite top choises.
Sound profile of those is extremely smooth and they don't vibrate making any rubber corners moot point.
(if fan vibrates it's bad fan and no excuses)
PWM versions are just out of stock.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p12-black-case-fan-120mm-fg-04g-ar.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p14-black-fan-140mm-fg-04m-ar.html

Soldato
23.5 db is almost double the audible sound of 16db at 100% . But price is Damn good !
Unless having stupid fan controller those Arctics are unlikely to run at high speed, especially when they cope well with airflow restrictions.

And at least for PWM version they run silky smooth without any vibration.
So lot more expensive Bionix is paying lot of extra for fashion.
I have sample of both P12 PWM and Bionix P120 and don't intend paying any price extras over P12 PWM.
That silky smooth is also the best description for noise profile... Or lack of those annoying tones many fans have.
Including Arctic F12, which has "roughness" in its sound. (losing to old Scythe SlipStream in that free airflow job)

Some weeks ago one user in here tried replacing Arctic P14s (I think) with some big hype Noctuas and while temps stayed same noise increased.

Soldato
I was lucky enough to have silent wings and that many, normally you'd be mad ! But did allow me to run 100% and be silent .

Aye, dB readings, case has poor grills or filters like Jonsbo older cases and turbulence really makes a headache, more so with expensive silent fans :/

Associate
OP
Update on this project. I have finally been given the green light from my better half for this, however due to the world wide situation I have had to put this on hold. I will be looking into this again around black friday time. :)

Soldato
As others said you will need better SSD. I don’t think you particularly need a 360 AIO. Get something like Corsair H115 or H100. Corsair lasts a long while.

for the SSD get the Corsair MP510 series or similar TLC based SSD. You will need it for real time access. I do a little video and photo edits. Trust me when I say QLC and TLC makes a difference. Reason for MP510 is that you need the write endurance. Video edits need large cache disk which are constantly created and destroyed so if you get average SSD you will use up the endurance before that 10yrs up.

also B550 is just around the corner if you go down that route you will be able to save a bit on the motherboard put that towards the SSD.

personally I would go for 32GB ram. Maybe wait for the zen 3 drop so the 3900x is a bit cheaper to buy it then use the saving to get 32GB kits.

Back
Top Bottom