Any fun spaceship games for 5 year olds?

Soldato
Our eldest loves my space exploration games, but struggles with the controls.

Can anyone think of a very simple game (or one with a very easy "easy mode") featuring spaceships?

Preferably something unabashedly uneducational - he's being put through a vigorous and unrelenting home-schooling curriculum by the other half - so this needs to be a proper break from all of that for the poor chap.

Man of Honour
Was going to say Kerbal as kerbal is just an amazing space game - But you will learn stuff playing it. It's kerbals fault I know about retrograde, prograde and delta v.

Another one that has become worth a play is no mans sky.

Soldato
I recon a 5 year old could get to grips with no mans sky even just flying around like a crazy one
I've got a 9 year old, so have been through the games over the last few years. Just things like controlling a mouse, and WSAD take time to get the hang of.

Minecraft was his first real game - and about the only thing I could imagine him playing at 5 without me constantly having to help him. I think lots of younger 'gamers' are the same. The problem with most other games is that you have to sit with them most the time showing them what to do.

He has played Kerbal up to the point of getting into orbit. Beyond that he still struggles to fully understand the more complex orbital mechanics. I've challenged him to get into orbit around the moon as part of his home schooling. No chance he'd have managed any of that at 5 or 6 though.

He mostly now plays Roblox and Fortnite where he can talk to (shout at) his school / rugby mates.

Man of Honour
I've got a 9 year old, so have been through the games over the last few years. Just things like controlling a mouse, and WSAD take time to get the hang of.

Minecraft was his first real game - and about the only thing I could imagine him playing at 5 without me constantly having to help him. I think lots of younger 'gamers' are the same. The problem with most other games is that you have to sit with them most the time showing them what to do.

He has played Kerbal up to the point of getting into orbit. Beyond that he still struggles to fully understand the more complex orbital mechanics. I've challenged him to get into orbit around the moon as part of his home schooling. No chance he'd have managed any of that at 5 or 6 though.

He mostly now plays Roblox and Fortnite where he can talk to (shout at) his school / rugby mates.

You are far better positioned that me that is for sure! :)

Associate
Trying to think what my son was able to play at 5 years old. Probably the Lego games. Do they have any spaceship ones? A bit of minecraft but some of the dark caves can be scary.
To think he now has his own PC and can play co-op with me in Escape from Tarkov (and still play well) :) Teenagers are better than 5 year olds

Soldato
X btf, can be had cheap. He might struggle to learn all the aspects but he can have fun just doing what he wants.
FTL might be doable for him, he might not win a lot but he might have fun for short sessions.
Star trek elite force if u can find a copy perhaps, bit of fps action for trek.
Rebel galaxy outlaw perhaps?
Freelancer?
Lifeless Planet - probs a good one imo.

Should be all doable for a kid imo. I had far harder speccy games to deal with when i was a kid lol.

Soldato
What about point and click adventure games like Space Quest collection or The Dig. Maybe a little tricky i dunno but fun if played together with family to work out things.

Soldato
Lego star wars, clone wars (think it's in the gamepass) has some space missions. You may need to do a few missions to get there, but you can also unlock the hangar, and just fly around shooting things at any time.

Back
Top Bottom