Alternatives - Skype? ZOOM? Discord? TeamSpeak?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Yep, and confirmed it's not end to end encrypted. Hopefully @stockhausen will take note
Yup, thanks for that; I will probably continue with ZOOM, it seems a superior product and I expect that the security bug will soon be fixed :)

A security researcher named Jonathan Leitschuh published a blog post yesterday that lays out a newly-discovered vulnerability in the Mac desktop client of the video conferencing tool Zoom, which would allow malicious websites to turn on your Mac's webcam without you even knowing.
I can't help but note that today is April 1st ;)

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
The UK government has defended using Zoom to hold cabinet video conferences.

Questions had been raised about potential security risks after the prime minister tweeted a picture in which a meeting ID was visible. "In the current unprecedented circumstances, the need for effective channels of communication is vital," a government spokeswoman told BBC News. A source added the app was quick to set up between the varying systems used by different government departments. (LINK)
Based on current Government pronouncements, that sounds like the death knell for ZOOM ;)

Soldato
Yup, thanks for that; I will probably continue with ZOOM, it seems a superior product and I expect that the security bug will soon be fixed :)

I can't help but note that today is April 1st ;)

From a different source if that helps?
https://arstechnica.com/information...rs-steal-windows-credentials-with-no-warning/

It's now the 2nd and the vulnerability still exists. It's amazing how functionality seems to beat the requirement for security. I can understand if you're talking about sport or such like but for any organisation not having encrypted comms should be a massive no.

M.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . .
It's now the 2nd and the vulnerability still exists. It's amazing how functionality seems to beat the requirement for security.
. . .
Yes, depressing really :(
I guess that ZOOM will in due course fix this particular bug and everything will be fine until the next flaw is identified. It would be nice if ZOOM had a tab on their website acknowledging security flaws and stating when they had been fixed.

Despite this, I am happy to persevere with ZOOM; at this time, people need some way to keep in touch.

Soldato
Hey, what do I know, sometimes the perceived "superior product" is because the lesser educated believe it to be so. If I wanted vulnerabilities and for my data to be routed through China, plus no E2E encryption, I'd pick Zoom. If I wanted something half decent at protecting me online (regardless of the UX), I'd pick Skype or Teams

Soldato
Best I have come across is Bluejeans

Google and Outlook calendar integration

Browser and app based interfaces.

Guests don’t need an account - just the meeting ID.

Has a presenter view/great screen share functionality.

You can set unique meeting IDs for each call, so no one can join your 10 o’clock call at 10:59 thinking they’re joining your 11 o’clock.

About £12.50 a month but after trying many different solutions, I’ve found it to be the most robust and feature rich.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Hey, hows the superior product working out?. . . .
Fine; thanks for asking.

As it happens, I don't belive that the people who I have advised to use it ever record and save meetings - I doubt that they even know how to do so and who really wants to hear idle chat about their grandchildren's antics anyhow?

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Singapore bans teachers using Zoom
Singapore has suspended the use of video-conferencing tool Zoom by teachers after “very serious incidents” in the first week of a coronavirus lockdown that has seen schools move to home-based learning.

One incident involved obscene images appearing on screens and male strangers making lewd comments during the streaming of a geography lesson with teenage girls, media reports said. (LINK)
I would be interested to see what the company (ZOOM) has to say about this?

Soldato
Well, nothing really. They've already said they are aware of an issue whereby you change the ID in the URL and you can join any chat you like. But hey, it's the superior product, remember...

Back
Top Bottom