First watercooling build

Associate
Hi all!

It's not my 1st custom PC, however it will be my first watercooling build :cool:

My build will be :
  • MB : ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming LGA1151
  • CPU : Intel i7 9700k
  • Disk : addlink S70 1TB SSD NVMe x2
  • PSU : EVGA 650W GOLD G3 Série 220-G3-0650-Y2
  • RAM : Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 3200 MHz
  • GPU : SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G
  • Case : Raijintek Asterion Classic Aluminium Midi

Watercooling :
I would like if possible something similar to this build : https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/raijintek-asterion-classic-mini-review.18778734/

What reservoir and pump is it ?

Any recommendations for the Waterblocks for my CPU and GPU ?
  • A Pump
  • A Reservoir
  • Waterblock GPU: Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Plexi GPX-A AMD Radeon 5700 XT Sapphire Nitro+ ?
  • Waterblock CPU
  • Fans
  • Radiator
  • Tubing
  • Fittings
  • Fluid : Mayhem silver

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
@paradigm can you tell you more about that specific build.

I went full EK on my build however since you don't have a reference 5700 XT you will be limited on which GPU blocks you can select. EK for example only sell blocks for reference 5700 XT.

Soldato
change board for aorus z390 , better built, specially if your going 9900k overclocked !

alphacool do custom blocks for RX5700 cards. including yours . can't post link though, cheaper then EKWB and perform the same .

£95 for the Aurora block

Associate
OP
Thanks for your replies !

@LiE : I wasn't sure if paradigm was still on the forum, his post is a bit old now (3years).
About the GPU, I don't really mind about the brand, even if I prefer Sapphire/Asus.

But I'm ok to go with one of the below GPU, if there is more choice for the waterblock :)
  • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT
  • Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT
  • Gigabyte Gaming OC RX 5700 XT
  • Asus Strix RX 5700 XT
  • MSI Gaming RX 5700 XT
@orbitalwalsh : Sorry, I forgot to add my CPU, I updated the main post. I was thinking to go with the Intel i7 9700K, I'm not sure if it worst to take the 9900K ?

For the motherboard, I hesitate between the ASUS ROG Strix and Aorus. I always had an Asus, and the motherboards were always reliable (in opposite of my previous Gigabyte).

I'm now a bit scare when I take something else than Asus for the Motherboard lol

I hear a lot of good things about perf/cost for the Aorus Z390, but also hear the BIOS was better on Asus ?

Ps : I choose the Asus, because Aorus is a sub-brand of Gigabyte :rolleyes: But I will be happy if you can share your experience about that one ;)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Associate
OP
Well I have a specific reason to keep intel instead of AMD, but I'm not sure if it's something we can talk on this forum :confused: (***tosh)

Without this restriction, I will probably go for AMD. I know it also works on AMD, but from what I read, it seems there is more issues :-/

- CPU Waterblock : I believe I can take whatever I want that support the socket LGA1151 correct ?
- Reservoir, Pump, Radiators : is it just depending of the case's dimensions, or there is some kind of compatibility/power that I need to take in consideration ?

I just saw the OcUK Watercooling guide, I will quickly read it :rolleyes:

Soldato
As above just get the cheapest reference 5700XT you can if you plan to watercool it.

As long as you are careful removing the cooler and screws using the correct driver bits etc then there isn’t any real way they could tell if it had been watercooled before. Wrong bits and it’s easy to damage screw heads etc. Even if it has stickers on the screws they are easily removable.

OCUK also do prebuilt cards with blocks and backplates should you want to go that route as you have the warranty with ocuk then.

Id also say go with AMD you get more for your money. If I had the choice again I’d likely go with AMD. But my 9900k is still the best chip currently for gaming which is my systems primary use so I haven’t felt much need to mess around.

Id also consider a case more designed for custom watercooling. Something a long the lines of the Lian-Li dynamic.

It’s likely possible in the case you have chosen, but it isn’t set out in a way to give you maximum radiator space as well as fitting pump+reservoir. Your choice essentially just may take a bit more messing around to get everything fitted.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply!

Yep you are right, I will have a look for the cheapest 5700XT and also the related waterblock. (There is no point to pay £20 less on a GPU, if the waterblock cost £50 more lol).

For the GPU I will stay with Intel, just because the compatibility is better with Hackintosh. Also I already have a Ryzen 5 3600 , so I'm kind of aware :)

About the case, I will check the different build and review.. I mainly take that one because of the clean and aluminium design, and I saw paradigm making a nice nice build with it (link)

I like Lian-li in general, but I'm not a huge fan of their latest cases... I was more looking for something "different/original".. I was also thinking about the NZXT CRFT, but the model I was looking for is not available anymore (Nuka Cola)

Associate
OP
I didn't plan yet to overclock, the watercooling it's mainly because I'm interested about it and I would like to learn a bit more with some practices :)

For the Aorus, I will think about it, but at the moment I will stay with Asus. (I never had any issues with Asus during 10 years so..)

Also do you have any recommendations for :
  • A Pump
  • A Reservoir
  • Waterblock CPU
  • Fans
  • Radiator
  • Tubing
  • Fittings
For the Waterblock CPU I saw in the guide, the EK Supreme.. but the guide was write in 2011, so it might be obsolete :confused:

Because I'm cooling GPU + CPU, I believe I will need 2 radiators, is that correct ?

Soldato
For radiators I like ones with more than 2 ports
It can be really useful
For example if using a fill port on top radiator
Or drain port on bottom radiator
Or just when you would rather come out the end or bottom of the radiator
Depending on your loop
Cross flow/x flow radiators can also make your loop tidier as you go in one end out the other means less tubing
1 x 360mm radiator may be enough for your build but 2 adds upgrade options in the future

Soldato
I didn't plan yet to overclock, the watercooling it's mainly because I'm interested about it and I would like to learn a bit more with some practices :)

For the Aorus, I will think about it, but at the moment I will stay with Asus. (I never had any issues with Asus during 10 years so..)

Also do you have any recommendations for :
  • A Pump
  • A Reservoir
  • Waterblock CPU
  • Fans
  • Radiator
  • Tubing
  • Fittings
For the Waterblock CPU I saw in the guide, the EK Supreme.. but the guide was write in 2011, so it might be obsolete :confused:

Because I'm cooling GPU + CPU, I believe I will need 2 radiators, is that correct ?

Pricey but now ASUS have corsair software integrated.

Corsair staff came from EKWB, at first all the kit was made by ALphacool but then Corsaiir chose the best parts from different vendors, so ii think the rad iis from Blacklabs ! etc ..

with voucher code

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x Corsair Water Cooling Configurator *FOR 10% OFF PLEASE USE VOUCHER CODE IN SHORT DESCRIPTION** = £552.74
    • CPU Water Block:Corsair Hydro X Series XC7 RGB Black CPU Water Block - TR4 (CX-9010002-WW)
    • GPU Water Block:Corsair Hydro X Series XG7 RGB RADEON RX 5700 XT Water Block (CX-9020004-WW)
    • Radiator 1:Corsair Hydro X Series XR7 360mm Triple Fan Water Cooling Radiator (CX-9030005-WW)
    • Reservoir / Pump:Corsair Hydro X Series XD5 RGB Reservoir / Pump Combo - 250ml (CX-9040002-WW)
    • Hard Line Fittings:Unwanted
    • Soft Tube Fittings:Corsair Hydro X Series XF Black Compression 10/13mm (3/8" / 1/2") ID/OD Fittings - Four Pack
    • Angled Fittings:Corsair Hydro X Series 90° Rotary Adapter Dual Pack - Black (CX-9055009-WW)
    • Tubing:Corsair Hydro X Series XT 10/13mm (3/8" / 1/2") ID / OD Soft Tubing - 3m (CX-9059001-WW)
    • Fluid:Corsair Hydro X Series XL5 Performance Premixed Clear Coolant - 1 Litre (CX-9060001-WW)
    • Extensions:Unwanted
    • Radiator 2:Unwanted
  • 1 x Corsair LL120 RGB, 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan, 3 Fan Pack with Lighting Node PRO= £92.99
  • 1 x Voucher 10 %= £-55.27
Total: £590.46 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't forget the corsair 10% discount
If it's not on that list

ah yes

@Corsair_Andy should be able to help with that if not working i hope

then alphacool which do more custom AIB RX5700XT cards but not here

Total: £356.92 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Soldato
ah yes

@Corsair_Andy should be able to help with that if not working i hope
Tested the code yesterday
It deducted 10% ok
Though I was only checking didn't complete purchase

then alphacool which do more custom AIB RX5700XT cards but not here

Total: £356.92 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
Thanks. it's exactly what I was looking for !

I think everything should be fit in Rajintek asterion classic... But I have taken in consideration your comment and also 'm afraid that the side windows might be a bit too dark :-/ But I very like that design.

Also do you know the name of "tool" that help to make a 90° on the tube ? I also saw a video, where the tube was rigid, and they needed to heat it as well ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks. it's exactly what I was looking for !

I think everything should be fit in Rajintek asterion classic... But I'm afraid that the side windows might be a bit too dark :-/

Also do you know the name of "tool" that help to make a 90° on the tube ? I also saw a video, where the tube was rigid, and they needed to heat it as well ?
Tool for doing angles may be called
A mandrel

Soldato
Can't sleep, feel like poo, so I'll try to throw some anecdotal info together. This is broad strokes, please excuse generalisations. Hopefully you find something useful.

Motherboards
I believe the reason people are suggesting the Gigabyte boards is better build quality, and more capable VRMs, but I'm out of the game somewhat.

My advice is think about what you want; connectivity, RGB, accessories, price, SSD support, audio, bios etc and pick what best suits what you want, for what you're willing to pay.

Brand loyalty doesn't earn you any favours.

Fan Control
I recommends using a dedicated fan controller. Hackintosh compatibility I have no experience with, so bear that in mind.

If you want simplicity, iCUE and a Commander Pro is a good bet. The ecosystem is well put together, but their support isn't great and they'll happily leave customers in the dust when they move onto a new product line. There may be issues with Hackintosh, I believe iCUE needs to run for the controllers to operate properly.

AquaComputer make an absolutely awesome range of controllers and components. The software is incredibly powerful, the support is amazing, the possibilities are limitless. Price of entry is higher, learning curve is steeper. I don't believe they make Mac software, but their controllers can be set up in a windows environment, saved to the device, and disconnected from USB. They don't need software to operate.

Water Blocks
Most blocks perform the same. It's about aesthetics, features, and some slight variation on mounting method. I like EKWB, I do not like the Corsair line up at all. It's mostly aesthetic, and some things I've not liked the look of during teardowns. Corsair kit is fine, it's very accessible, and very rainbow chunder, if that's your bag.

Pump
Get a D5 unless space is an issue. The DDC is a fantastic little pump with better head pressure, but it's noisier, hotter and has lower throughput. There are others, I'm not well informed enough to comment on them. Use a pump top. I prefer my pump to be seperate from the Res, many opt for an all in one unit.

Radiators & Fans
The most important components, these will dictate the type of build you have. Your case will dictate what size, thickness and port configuration available / needed, and this in turn will affect the fans you choose.

Slim rads will perform worse, unless they're more restrictive and have higher FPI. Higher FPI fans require more static pressure, which means higher static pressure fans, usually running at higher volumes. Restrictive radiators will require a higher pump speed, or a higher head pressure.

If you want silence, you want more rad space, lower FPI, and quiet fans.

If you want performance, you want more rad space, higher FPI, and higher static pressure / faster fans.

If space is an issue, you want slimmer radiators and fans that suit them.

I recommend HardwareLabs Black Ice GTX / GTS. They're great.

Fans Cont.
For fans I've gotten on well with Corsair ML120 Pros (not a fan of the 140mm, scuse pun) and Noiseblocker Eloop. Noctua, EK Vardar, BeQuiet! etc are all good choices. There's loads of good fans out there, take your pick.

Fluid
I do not recommend coloured fluid. Yes it's all the rage, yes it looks cool, but clear is best imo. I use Mayhem's XT1 Nuke clear concentrate, added to distilled water. I recommend you choose this over de-ionised, if it's available. Double check there are no compatibility issues with your tubing and fluid of choice; Mayhem's has good charts.

Clear doesnt discolour acrylic blocks, reservoirs and tubing, it doesn't seperate, it's less inclined to gunk, and imo is the lowest maintenance. Others will undoubtedly say I'm wrong, make your own decision.

Tubing
I don't like hard-line. I'm a simple man. Flexible tubing is easier to build, easier to modify, makes it easier to tinker in your system, it's cheap, and there's lots of colour options.

The reason most people go for hard line is the aesthetic. I don't like the look except in ultra high-end custom builds. I use EKWB ZMT tubing, I love it.

Fittings
There can be some variation between fittings and sizing. Make sure yours fit. Fittings are one of those things that can really add to the cost of the build quickly. And remember; no matter how many extras you buy, no matter how many adapters you add to that basket, you'll always need to order more :D

Configuration & Tips
1) New rads will need to be cleaned thoroughly. I recommend Mayhem's Blitz. This is an important step.

2) A drain port is really, really useful. Lowest point in the system, or designed so that reorienting the case makes it so.

3) A fill port isnt necessary, but it's nice. Just don't design your loop so that the reservoir is a pain to fill.

4) A bigger reservoir is better. Less opportunity for air recirculation, easier to fill the loop. When designing the layout, I prefer for the return to feed into the bottom, as air isn't pushed towards the pump intake. A deflector plate or inlet tube is needed for this config. It goes without saying that the reservoir should directly feed your pump.

5) PWM provides much finer control. I recommend you use PWM fans. A PWM pump has pros and cons. No control until the system is up and running, and many people don't adjust pump speed after initial setup.

6) Perform a leak test with a shorted ATX connector, you can buy adapters for a couple of quid, or make one yourself. I like to leak test with a separate PSU outside of the system. Whack paper towel down etc, you'll see it in every watercooling guide.

7) Avoid right angles where a straight line will work.

8) Pump failure and detection should be accounted for. The easiest way is for the RPM lead of the pump to be connected to the CPU header on your mobo, and an alert / shutdown configured in the BIOS. iCUE has good functionality in this regard, AquaComputer have a physical Cape that connects directly to your power switch, and you can configure various parameters to trigger a shut down.

9) Controlling fan speed based on water temperature will make fan curves smooth, and avoid sudden ramp ups.

10) Flow sensing can help you spot a problem early. A recent thread demonstrates this; someone found s gunky lump in their CPU block before they had issues.

11) External / additional temp sensors are very nice, you can plot some cool data, and monitor some geely stuff. A single water temperature sensor will give you all the information you need to get up and running.

12) Don't be obsessed with matching equipment. Get the best product for the best price.

That's it. Hopefully there's a nugget or two in there for you. I'm going to try and sleep. Good luck with the build mate. Look forward to the project log ;)

Associate
OP
Hey WantoN,

Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful, specially for a newbie like me in watercooling :D

1. After reading a lot of reviews about the Rajintek Asterion, it will be a no for me.
-> Front fans have no access to fresh air (not great for the Radiator/fans)
-> Window tint pretty dark

So I might go for the MSI Sekira 500. I very like the design, and it seems there is plenty of space for the watercooling/radiators :-]

2. Fan control : I think it's a great idea, I will have a look for this.

3. I was kind of scared with EK, because I tried to compare corsair/EK, I saw few thread about leaking with EK :confused:

4. For the tube/fluid, yeah I was more thinking to go with hard-line tubes and a coloured fluid :rolleyes: If already I make a water-cooling, I would like something very aesthetic.. Otherwise I will probably think about the Corsair h150i (simple and cheaper ? but I dunno in term of performance)

5. In general, how much will cost a good water-cooling ? I was thinking around £400, £500 ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey WantoN,

Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful, specially for a newbie like me in watercooling :D

1. After reading a lot of reviews about the Rajintek Asterion, it will be a no for me.
-> Front fans have no access to fresh air (not great for the Radiator/fans)
-> Window tint pretty dark

So I might go for the MSI Sekira 500. I very like the design, and it seems there is plenty of space for the watercooling/radiators :-]

2. Fan control : I think it's a great idea, I will have a look for this.

3. I was kind of scared with EK, because I tried to compare corsair/EK, I saw few thread about leaking with EK :confused:

4. For the tube/fluid, yeah I was more thinking to go with hard-line tubes and a coloured fluid :rolleyes: If already I make a water-cooling, I would like something very aesthetic.. Otherwise I will probably think about the Corsair h150i (simple and cheaper ? but I dunno in term of performance)

5. In general, how much will cost a good water-cooling ? I was thinking around £400, £500 ?

BETTER CASES

Total: £532.95 (includes shipping: £28.02)​

Back
Top Bottom