Netflix to cut streaming quality in Europe for 30 days

Caporegime
OP
It's worth checking if your company or whomever is making you use 2 factor Authentication supports an App based verification. Google Authenticator or something else. SMS is a really insecure method for receiving 2 factor stuff anyway, but with app based systems they work off the clock/app on your phone, even if there are data or 2g/3g connectivity issues.

rp2000

It's hmrc they use text messages for access codes to login and file returns.

They don't use Google authenticator. They are still living in the 90's when it comes to modern technology.

They don't even like using email with external customers. Phone contact is preferred or written mail depending on the department.

Caporegime

They don't use Google authenticator. They are still living in the 90's when it comes to modern technology.

So how does this have anything to do with network providers/operators upgrading their hardware/infrastructure?

The issue you've highlighted is completely different.

Caporegime
OP
So how does this have anything to do with network providers upgrading their hardware/infrastructure?

The issue you've highlighted is completely different.

Because I can't receive the text messages. Because the network operator doesn't have sufficient hardware to handle the current loads being placed on them.

If they had better hardware in place I'd have no issues.

Caporegime
Because I can't receive the text messages. Because the network operator doesn't have sufficient hardware to handle the current loads being placed on them.

If they had better hardware in place I'd have no issues.

If it's one specific service you're having issues with then it's more likely to be HMRCs system rather than your network operator. My mobile network has been working just fine with a couple of login codes received pretty much instantly.

Soldato
It's worth checking if your company or whomever is making you use 2 factor Authentication supports an App based verification. Google Authenticator or something else. SMS is a really insecure method for receiving 2 factor stuff anyway, but with app based systems they work off the clock/app on your phone, even if there are data or 2g/3g connectivity issues.
I didn't know that google authenticator works even if you don't have 2g/3g ... thought you needed more elaborate apps to utlize the phone s secure key gen modules.
I'd like a windows based authenticator though, too.

edit: now downloaded https://authy.com/download/ for windows

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
If it's one specific service you're having issues with then it's more likely to be HMRCs system rather than your network operator. My mobile network has been working just fine with a couple of login codes received pretty much instantly.

I've had issues with calls not connecting either.

For every 20 calls 1 would connect.

Obviously you are in a different area and with a different provider most likely.

Soldato
If it's one specific service you're having issues with then it's more likely to be HMRCs system rather than your network operator.
disagree , I have seen texts arrive slowly from both google and the banks 2fa systems .. I've never researched if the texts have any priority in the 'network'

Caporegime
I didn't know that google authenticator works even if you don't have 2g/3g ... thought you needed more elaborate apps to utlize the phone s secure key gen modules.
I'd like a windows based authenticator though, too.

Yep, Just go in Airplane mode and you will see the codes keep cycling and work! If it's offline too long it will eventually fall out of sync with the backend, but it's the same basic system as hardware keys use (that don't have any connectivity), just baked into an app. They sync with the sever when you set it up.

disagree , I have seen texts arrive slowly from both google and the banks 2fa systems .. I've never researched if the texts have any priority in the 'network'
No special priority, sadly.

rp2000

Don

They don't even like using email with external customers. Phone contact is preferred or written mail depending on the department.

HMRC definitely do support Google Authenticator. I use it myself for my annual tax return and for the 30-hours childcare / vouchers.

Soldato
...assume it will continue post 30days.

Seeing Huawei bleating about about possible repercussions against them, "you're going to want to sustain these increased 50%! (peak?) network use post covid"

Stats don't seem to show much change, stiill +22% download 33% upload over a couple of weeks ... so no increased demand on netflix, zoom (video calling per se)

https://www.ncta.com/COVIDdashboard
for the usa .. but the upstream growth +27% is greater than download growth ??? people are uploading 'stuff'

Could ask how much OC'ers data use has actually changed ... do OC reveal increased throughput on their servers (assuming they are not on aws/cloud ... never done a traceroute)

https://corporate.comcast.com/covid-19/network
  • Gaming downloads are up 50% generally and 80% during new releases
  • There is a 38% increase in streaming and web video consumption
  • On television, we are seeing similar patterns:
    • Linear video consumption increased 4 hours to 64 hours per week
    • Video OnDemand hitting record highs, up 25% YOY
    • There has been a nearly 50% increase in Voice Remote requests for “Free Movies”
    • We have seen Voice Remote queries top 50 million some days

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is this what causes the blocky pixelated look in dark scenes? Only had Netflix a couple of weeks and Amazon video seems to not have this issue
By my own tests I think Amazon are not using it or if they are so little that I didn't notice. Netflix is reducing bitrate by 50% (by tests show in this thread) so it's noticable unless you are blind or watching on a tiny screen! I notice it a lot more on 1080p content than 4k stuff.

There are some films on both platforms, so I may test again later, if I can be bothered.

rp2000

Associate
I think Amazon is doing it as well. Not always though. We'll be watching something in 4K and then suddenly when there's a far scene it is very evident that the stream is not 4K, more closer to 720p. Good thing is my C9 seems to be upscaling very well, so that 1080p to 4K doesn't seem too different if the bitrates are okay. So might have happened more than we realised but no as apparent.

Back
Top Bottom