• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Associate
Brilliant thanks, might have to invest in a freesync monitor then for console use as I've already got a G-Sync monitor already for my PC use.
Anything the Xbox one is compatible with for VRR will work with the PS5 and XSX too.

Do you think f/g sync is very beneficial at this stage? I ask because good TVs have VRR built in, and console games previously had some trickery going on to prevent screen tear- Digital Foundry had some videos on this, one in particular was a video dedicated to screen tearing IIRC.

I'm just thinking a good TV is better for console right now, and while i have a Fsync monitor already, i'd like something bigger.

I'll be waiting until after release before making any decisions, but wondered what your thoughts were?

Soldato
Do you think f/g sync is very beneficial at this stage? I ask because good TVs have VRR built in, and console games previously had some trickery going on to prevent screen tear- Digital Foundry had some videos on this, one in particular was a video dedicated to screen tearing IIRC.

I'm just thinking a good TV is better for console right now, and while i have a Fsync monitor already, i'd like something bigger.

I'll be waiting until after release before making any decisions, but wondered what your thoughts were?

I'm not sure, will definitely wait and see but I use my PS4 currently setup next to my PC on a dual monitor setup.

I did have another PS4 on the big TV but the misses was always using it and never got a chance to use it much. So i sold it and just exclusively game on my dual setup now.

It's setup in such a way i can use one set of headphones and hear my PS4 audio and PC audio together. Good for watching films and gaming or listening to music etc.

Just thought i'd see so I can plan with money for release as if Freesync makes a difference like on a PC it'll be worth it.

Soldato
Looks like the PS5 could be in trouble

report from undisclosed first party developer is that Sony screwed up - they totally underestimated what Microsoft would do and to catch up they've had to overclock their console and push more speed out of the SSD than they can actually handle. The PS5 is a small box that now has major heat and overheating issues and Sony has no time to redesign it - Sony engineers are scrambling to build a redesigned chassis to launch in 1 or 2 years to fix the overheating problems that launch models will experience

https://mobile.twitter.com/Daniel_Rubino/status/1245741486689398785/photo/1

Caporegime
It sounds like rubbish because if that's the case the simple solution would be to just remove any overclock and go ahead as originally planned, overclock or not they aren't going to be as powerful, any delays or reliability issues will hurt them far more. It would honestly make far more sense to just bring PS5 Pro release forward and drop the price/spec of the standard console.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I will wait and see what the reviews say before buying. If Nvidia deliver with the RTX 3070 then I will likely be set and happy to wait a few years for a redesigned cheaper version of the PS5. I mean it will likely take that long until we see a handful of exclusives that make full use of the new system anyways.

Soldato
Who is that Jeff Rickel guy? His Twitter feed with 313 followers seems to deal mainly with superhero movies. Rubino, who's using him as his source, runs a MS fan site which describes itself as "home to the most loyal and passionate fans of Windows and Microsoft".

It could all be true, but I'll need a little more evidence from unbiased sources first, thanks.

Soldato
Very disappointing to read that Eurogamer article. The audio part in particular, because the whole reason I was excited was that we'd see better support for 7.2.4 setups. Basically PS5 now:

- Worse graphics
- Worse CPU
- Worse software (DML, VRS, AutoHDR etc)
- Worse back compat
- Worse overall for multiplatform
- Worse audio for surround (vs Project Acoustics)

- Better SSD (?)
- PS exclusives
- Maybe slightly cheaper?

And if we count PC instead of Xbox, then you can even cut the PS exclusives number in half. But honestly, that audio talk was a HUGE disappointment for me. At least I know for sure now that I won't buy one, will just stick to PC. GG Sony.

Soldato
Sony really need to show this thing and some games, the whole thing is on a downward spiral at the moment.

Everyone and their dog is having a dig and it's probs worse as half the world has nothing else to do than browse the internet at the moment.

They really need to stem this bleed.

Soldato
Very disappointing to read that Eurogamer article. The audio part in particular, because the whole reason I was excited was that we'd see better support for 7.2.4 setups. Basically PS5 now:

- Worse graphics
- Worse CPU
- Worse back compat

- Better SSD (?)
- PS exclusives
- Maybe slightly cheaper?

And if we count PC instead of Xbox, then you can even cut the PS exclusives number in half. But honestly, that audio talk was a HUGE disappointment for me. At least I know for sure now that I won't buy one, will just stick to PC. GG Sony.

After watching that Digital Foundry video, this is far from what I walked away with.

@Grim5 that twitter link seems to be the biggest load of horse poop.

Sony really need to show this thing and some games, the whole thing is on a downward spiral at the moment.

Everyone and their dog is having a dig and it's probs worse as half the world has nothing else to do than browse the internet at the moment.

They really need to stem this bleed.

Agreed, Sony's marketing really needs to step up their game.

Soldato
Meh that twitter article just seems to bash and bash, yet like said above the Digital Foundry video explained enough to see that.

Best thing Sony can do now is show what it's capable of doing rather than let this continue.

Soldato
Meh that twitter article just seems to bash and bash, yet like said above the Digital Foundry video explained enough to see that.

Best thing Sony can do now is show what it's capable of doing rather than let this continue.

They can’t though, they’re in the middle of redesigning the box for the change in clocks they’ve been forced to go to. Nobody wants to see a dev kit / pc at this point.

Soldato
But how can it be smaller but have the same power (at least in terms of TF)? Quite frankly though, look at the cost performance of a 2080 super vs the ti. It's purely being milked as amd have nothing to offer. Going from the 'normal'set versions to the super versions got a massive boost. Back on topic, I seem to remember the ps3 and 4 were equivalent to high end pcs on release, with the bonus of being a lot cheaper.

AMD doesn't have Tensor & RT cores to bloat the size of the die while made at TSMC 7nm Enhanced not 12nm. Thats why argued that those huge massive NV dies are too expensive to make, with high failured rates and cannot directly shrink without chopping things off.

FYI TSMC 7nm Enhance (designation TSMC 7NP) should not to be confused with the EUV 7nm+. 7NP allows for ~7% higher clock speeds at same power or 10% less power at same speeds. Which explains why the boost clock on the PS5 can be that high also.

Soldato
- Worse graphics
- Worse CPU
- Worse back compat

lol

3 of those are literally the same thing.
A worse CPU (and GPU) will lead to worse graphics (if you pause and pixel peep like digital foundry does) which would lead to devs possibly struggling on multi-plat or toning down the XSX version.

And the kicker is that none of that even matters :D

Soldato
If and big if Sony had serious heat issues they could easily delay and use covid19 as an excuse

I do agree however at this stage they could have shown it by now imo

Soldato
Not sure if this is sarcasm, or just stupidity?
More naivety perhaps, obviously believes that Twitter trash.

If and big if Sony had serious heat issues they could easily delay and use covid19 as an excuse
Exactly, or simply cap the clock speeds at the original levels.

If people believe Sony are panicking or were surprised that Microsoft went so powerful need to get a grip, the OneX was clear indication that Microsoft would be claiming the crown of 'the world's most powerful console' again.

Soldato
They can’t though, they’re in the middle of redesigning the box for the change in clocks they’ve been forced to go to. Nobody wants to see a dev kit / pc at this point.

I very much doubt that. There is no way in hell a company like Sony will be that simpleminded that they allowed themselves to get swept up in their success and have to resort to redesigning this late because of Xbox's power.

It was always going to be that way this year, Microsoft needed to pull a powerful console out of the bag especially as PS4 smashed it in sales.

More naivety perhaps, obviously believes that Twitter trash.

Exactly, or simply cap the clock speeds at the original levels.

If people believe Sony are panicking or were surprised that Microsoft went so powerful need to get a grip, the OneX was clear indication that Microsoft would be claiming the crown of 'the world's most powerful console' again.

I agree that Twitter bashing post was full of rubbish.

I don't think they are or were surprised at all, honestly I think the two consoles will perform similarly to each other even with the difference in power. There have been leaks for months and i'm sure Sony knew what was coming or at least had an idea.

Soldato
There's a lack of news from Sony and we're getting all sorts of doom and gloom from unknown sources. I'll just wait and see, some of the stuff posted really is high class garbage. There may be some truth so certain parts of these rumours but we really won't know until there's something credible.

Man of Honour
I very much doubt that. There is no way in hell a company like Sony will be that simpleminded that they allowed themselves to get swept up in their success and have to resort to redesigning this late because of Xbox's power.

It was always going to be that way this year, Microsoft needed to pull a powerful console out of the bag especially as PS4 smashed it in sales.

I agree that Twitter bashing post was full of rubbish.

I don't think they are or were surprised at all, honestly I think the two consoles will perform similarly to each other even with the difference in power. There have been leaks for months and i'm sure Sony knew what was coming or at least had an idea.

Sega had to do it with the Saturn, and Microsoft had to redesign the Xbox One to add a disc drive, so it’s not that uncommon.

Soldato
It is just such testament to Sony that so much mis-information and quite frankly crap about the PS5 is appearing online.
Sony are currently the number one console company and everything from reputable sources would indicate that this is going to go on into the next generation.

Absolutely ROFL at that "undisclosed person" via that Twitter post. There was absolutely nothing in the post that rings true from someone with zero credibility.
Read very much as an Xbox fanboy attempting to poor more petrol on the flames his fellow fanboys have been spouting for a little while.

It's the unreliable, undisclosed and zero credibility information that appears to grab the headlines - whereas actually disclosed developers who wax lyrical and the press who have actually spoken to Cerny who go large ignored.
And where does it usually boil down to - More TF's over and over again.
In the same way that every online discussion will eventually lead to someone being compared to Hitler, every online console argument becomes "MoRe tF's".

Back
Top Bottom