Which is likely to be more economical?

Associate
Gonna be travelling backwards and forwards between Bromsgrove and Plymouth weekly. 185 miles each way all on M5 & A38 (dual carriageway).

I have a choice of 2L diesel AWD Kia Sportage or 1.2L petrol Hyundai i10. Both are manual.

Weighing up big(ish), heavier Sportage vs small, light i10 with small engine. Thoughts?

Not looking for smart comments or criticism from members just advice.

Man of Honour
Take the Kia. It isn't going to drink like a fish and your emotional well-being doing such a trip on a regular basis in a half decent car will be far far better than doing it in something really horrible and uncomfortable like that i10.

Don't even do the maths, just use the Kia.

I did this journey (pretty much) a lot and having a nice car to do it in made all the difference.

Soldato
When you say weekly, you mean a once per week journey or multiple?

Either way, sportage.

Most small engine city cars don't do well at 70+ due to gearing so you easily lose the fuel economy benefits of town, extra urban cycles.

Soldato
More economical looks like it'd be the i10 judging by Honest Johns figures.

Kia 2.0 CRDi 4WD Official 46.3–49.6 mpg Real world 36.8 mpg

Hyundai i10 1.2 Official 57.6 mpg Real world 47.8 mpg

However, trundling along at 70mph I reckon there wouldn't be much in it. Either way I'd certainly be taking the Kia over the i10.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The i10 will obviously be more economical, but if I had the choice between that and the KIA, I'd take the KIA. How important are the savings? Do the maths and see how much you'll save.

Soldato
Take the Kia. It isn't going to drink like a fish and your emotional well-being doing such a trip on a regular basis in a half decent car will be far far better than doing it in something really horrible and uncomfortable like that i10.

Don't even do the maths, just use the Kia.

I did this journey (pretty much) a lot and having a nice car to do it in made all the difference.

If even Fox is telling you not to do the maths, don't do the maths. 370 mile round trips will be awful in a small car. Just avoid.

Soldato
i'm pretty sure the tank in an i10 is like 30L as well, you'll be filling it up after every journey. We seem to be forever in the garage with my partner's.

B@

Last edited:
Soldato
Weight doesn’t matter so much when you’re travelling at a constant speed, hence why big saloons can still get over 50mpg on a run. You’ll get more than that 36.8mpg on a long distance journey, I’d have thought.

Associate
Weight doesn’t matter so much when you’re travelling at a constant speed, hence why big saloons can still get over 50mpg on a run. You’ll get more than that 36.8mpg on a long distance journey, I’d have thought.

I'd agree - you should be in the mid to high 40's I'd think easily as long as you are not tanking it along.

Soldato

Until you get to a hill or a headwind :D

Associate
If he has access to both, he can do us a favour and do it once with each and calculate the MPG by brimming the tank and then we can see who is right :D

Back
Top Bottom