Which is likely to be more economical?

Soldato
I don't think a 10mph headwind makes too much difference when you have in excess of 100,000 watts pushing you forward.

When it's me on my bike making 250 watts, it's a different story.

Soldato
i would assume he's referring to the difference in frontal area a heavier (and therefore likely larger) car would have. which would be valid in the specific scenario of kia vs i10
agree, that was what I read too.

.. and if it is more massive , any changing direction (ok it's a motorway, not a windy road sic.), will need more energy to overcomed the inertia .

indeed, trying both solutions seems best ... but, if the remaining car is doing local short distance intermittent trips, that's part of the overall cost.

Man of Honour
Doing this drive in an i10 will be grim.

The Kia isn't a Cadillac Escalade, it's not going to do 15mpg. Even entertaining the idea of the i10 when the Kia is available seems daft.

Soldato
The i10 is not too bad for long journeys, the front room is pretty decent and I'll agree a 1.0 model can struggle with hills but the 1.2 is very capable for the weight of the vehicle.

Soldato
It might be tolerable for the odd infrequent 50 mile journey or something, but a regular 370 mile round trip? No thanks [clinteastwoodshuddering.gif]

Soldato
I had to drive a Chevrolet Spark from Worksop to Doncaster & back which I think is in a similar class to the i10.

That's about 50 miles, I got home with back ache & wrist ache. I think if I had to do that every day i'd actually hate driving, it was as much fun as being told to play with the dishwasher for an hour and a half.

Soldato
I used to get that problem with a Fiesta ST. Especially wrist ache from the angle of the steering wheel.

At least you can have fun in the Fiesta ST though.

For long journeys you want something bigger with a bit of equipment though. I had to do a 400 mile round trip in the summer in my ancient ST220 to get someone to sign some paperwork for work & although it's an ancient car being a 53 plate I still got out feeling as fresh as a daisy. With long journeys size does matter :)

Back
Top Bottom