Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
After all these questions, I forgot one thing! What do I used to clean my tailpipe? It was a nice shiny silver when I got the car 4 years ago but it looks like its discolouring now and going blackish. How do I get it shiny again?

Its a Porsche sports exhaust tailpipe end.

Soldato
I want to test my DA polisher out tomorrow on a small section of an old car before I attempt to polish my new car at a later date.

I plan to clay bar before polishing, I have read that you can use water as a lube, but I just watched a detailing video about how to clay and he did a test using different methods and water effected the clear coat, he used a microscopic camera and it showed small scratches to the clear coat, basically clay bar and a dedicated clay bar lube was the best way.

If I plan to polish after anyway would water still be ok, still read posts and watch videos that are using water so didn't purchase a clay bar lube.

Soldato
You can just use your regular car shampoo. That's what I normally do, just use the water from the wash bucket as clay lube. If you're using the 2 bucket method then that water should be nice and clean anyway.

I got some born slippy clay lube in the end as I needed some more car shampoo.

Do I need to dry the car after a wash before I clay?

Soldato
What with all the car wash places closed (I presume, tbf) I'm going to feel like a 15 year old again and get the old bucket and sponge out. And when I say get out, buy.

I'm just going to go to Halfords for ease (and time, anything I order now won't be here for the weekend). It's for my Tesla Model 3, white, which I've not done anything to since I picked it up a month ago and dang is it dirty (see below). I'm not into detailing or whatever, I just want to give it a good clean and maybe a wax or whatever's needed to keep it looking clean. What basics should I pick up from Halfords?

b9bMITJ.jpg

Soldato
Head back to page 817 and have a read as we've had a load of chat regarding products and bundles from Halfords as well as other alternatives online :)

Soldato
I have a sunroof on my fiesta and I want to ceramic coat my car I plan to ceramic coat most stuff apart from my windscreen and side/rear windows.

The sunroof has me unsure how to best prep it for the coating, I could use my DA machine polisher to go over the complete roof, but that would mean having to use different polish and pads for the bodywork and glass, or would I be best just applying some AG glass polish by hand to get it clean for the ceramic coating?

The same question apples to the headlights as well.

Thanks

Associate
I have a sunroof on my fiesta and I want to ceramic coat my car I plan to ceramic coat most stuff apart from my windscreen and side/rear windows.

The sunroof has me unsure how to best prep it for the coating, I could use my DA machine polisher to go over the complete roof, but that would mean having to use different polish and pads for the bodywork and glass, or would I be best just applying some AG glass polish by hand to get it clean for the ceramic coating?

The same question apples to the headlights as well.

Thanks

You could use something like this kit to polish the glass and ceramic coat it. I am really glad I did mine.

Alternatively, yes some glass polish (not cleaner) would be ideal. I would also wipe down with IPA first to remove any oils/residue from the polish.

Soldato
You could use something like this kit to polish the glass and ceramic coat it. I am really glad I did mine.

Alternatively, yes some glass polish (not cleaner) would be ideal. I would also wipe down with IPA first to remove any oils/residue from the polish.

oh yeah I’ve used that stuff before, good stuff, but for the sunroof I’m not to fussed as long as it looks clean and no marks before I apply the ceramic coating.

I think I will apply the AG polish by hand then on the sunroof and headlights.

thanks and thanks @Havana_UK

Associate
What with all the car wash places closed (I presume, tbf) I'm going to feel like a 15 year old again and get the old bucket and sponge out. And when I say get out, buy.

I'm just going to go to Halfords for ease (and time, anything I order now won't be here for the weekend). It's for my Tesla Model 3, white, which I've not done anything to since I picked it up a month ago and dang is it dirty (see below). I'm not into detailing or whatever, I just want to give it a good clean and maybe a wax or whatever's needed to keep it looking clean. What basics should I pick up from Halfords?

b9bMITJ.jpg

Im the one who asked a million questions lol. In the end my mate who works for Halfords was able to get me this big package deal which gives me everything I need for my first clean, just like yourself. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-winter-kit-60-at-halfords-3315755 Its not actually available any more but they had a few left in store and he got it for me for £35!

But before he told me he could get this I had pretty much decidided on something very similar as follows:

https://www.halfords.com/bundles/meguairs-car-cleaning-bucket-deal/
+
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/c...-finesse-aqua-deluxe-drying-towel-841277.html
+
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/car-wax/turtle-wax-hybrid-sealant-wax-351462.html
+
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GTLVYN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
+
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OE0FQFQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom