• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best Sub 1k Graphics Card?

Associate
Currently looking to upgrade the Radeon RX480 and looking for something substantial this time round and would like to stick with Nvidia, possibly the 2080 Super series.
I appreciate the 3000 series is just around the corner (Nov?) but now is the time for me to upgrade.

System is predominantly a gaming machine hooked up to 2x 32" Samsung 144mhz 1080p screens.

I dont have a water cooled system per say, just the CPU attached to a roof mounted reservoir.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the best card to consider?
Im also considering a new power supply to go along with this. Currently have a Corsair 650W but its around 8 years old and has had issues in the past.

Soldato
2080 Super for under 1K, if you want to upgrade now, however you may find in a few months that the price you go for now, now may net you 2080Ti+ as in over 1K performance for less than the 2080 Super.

Soldato
Currently looking to upgrade the Radeon RX480 and looking for something substantial this time round and would like to stick with Nvidia, possibly the 2080 Super series.
I appreciate the 3000 series is just around the corner (Nov?) but now is the time for me to upgrade.

System is predominantly a gaming machine hooked up to 2x 32" Samsung 144mhz 1080p screens.

I dont have a water cooled system per say, just the CPU attached to a roof mounted reservoir.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the best card to consider?
Im also considering a new power supply to go along with this. Currently have a Corsair 650W but its around 8 years old and has had issues in the past.

What's the rest of your system specs? And what games do you play?

Soldato
5700XT is AMD, and it doesn't have ray tracing.
But performance of RTXes suffers from it such amount, that it should make any sane person question high prices.

Now is simply historically bad time to buy expensive card.
And buyers share big part of the blame for that by enabling development of markets into that!

Soldato
But performance of RTXes suffers from it such amount, that it should make any sane person question high prices.

Now is simply historically bad time to buy expensive card.
And buyers share big part of the blame for that by enabling development of markets into that!

Well actually whilst performance does suffer it's not to the degree that makes a game unplayable, still perfectly reasonable frame rates especially in BFV.

Games don't have ray tracing, and the level of ray tracing coming to games with the release of the consoles, Big Navi and Ampere is going to utterly cripple Turing.

Games do have ray tracing in the sense that the features in games that are utilising the tensor cores cause much more severe performance drop in cards that don't have tensor cores.

Associate
OP
Currently gaming at 1080p although that may change towards the end of the year. 4K gaming currently not essential.

System info:

FR06SOV.png

Games currently playing CoD Warzone, Fortnite and Doom.

Soldato
Thanks.... any suggestions?

Any decent 2070Super will be fine. MSI gaming x, Asus strix, 3 fan Zotac or Gigabyte (not the aorus). EVGA do good cards too, FTW3 for example.

For 1080p unless you’re looking for performance outside of games. Your cpu is likely fine for now, possibly just give it an overclock if you haven’t already. You wouldn't see much gaming wise IMO.

I'd upgrade when you have too CPU/board wise. Zen 3 not too far off if you plan to upgrade further in the year.

Last edited:
Soldato
No point in going 2080S vs 2070S at 1080p. The main advantage of 2080S is the memory bandwidth, which is irrelevant at 1080p and in your case it's likely the CPU won't let you properly work it out anyway.

As for which, I'd say the gigabyte 3fan one. It has a decent cooler, 3y warranty & Gigabyte does UK RMA, plus it's "only" 520 compared to some others I'd look at like eg from EVGA (550+).

Soldato
It depends what the op means by 'best'. If it's best performance then the 2080 Super is the correct answer. There's no debate about it.

If the op means best value then it's the 2070 Super. It's not worth buying anything faster than a 2070 Super because the performance per pound decreases.

Back
Top Bottom