Anyone else really missing driving right now? (Rant/moan)

Associate
Okay I'm not one to say I don't loose my temper at the Great British roads, slow drivers, middle lane hoggers and all, but it's now been nearly 3 weeks since I've been on a proper drive and in that 3 weeks I've maybe done 6 or 7 miles in total to the supermarket and back a few times. All I can say is how much I miss just driving places, or driving for the sake of it, sometimes fast, sometimes slow listening to a bit of music.

I know it's not illegal to go on a drive, but we've all got to be sensible in these times. However more and more I'm longing to get out in the motor and take it for a drive just for the sheer enjoyment of being on the roads. I just fancy brimming the tank and burning through it all on a trip to the coast and back.

Obviously I know many will say just go and drive, but living in East London it's not like I can just zip around the countryside easily from my doorstep, being pulled over is relatively high risk, especially living close to the new Nightingale hospital with police swarming the area.

I can't even wash my car as I need to go back to my folks to borrow their outside tap, so my car just sits there looking pretty, if a rather expensive, garage ornament. So all I can now do is to look at expensive things to buy for my car in full knowledge I won't ever do so when quarantine lifts.

Surely I'm not the only petrol head who is getting this frustrated?

Moaning over, my Mrs doesn't quite understand the frustration, so it's on the internet, sorry!....

Associate
Yes, my car hasn't moved in over two weeks so I took it for a five minute run around the block this morning, I miss driving it so much.

Associate
Once everything gets back to normal (whenever that will be) do you think social distancing will have had a permanent affect on tailgaters, here's hoping.

Permabanned
I was going to add "is it electric" but thought odds were small. :o

Just that when I grew up we had 2 old neighbours who would come down once per week and start their cars up for 10mins then leave them another week, pointless (I am/was an diesel/mechanical fitter Engineer BTW) so know the score.

One of them even put brown paper over half his rad grill.

Last edited:
Associate
Once a week, whenever I'll head to the supermarket I take it for a drive to warm up fully and then drive it a bit harder for another 10 minutes or so... really miss driving, especially in this weather when I can take the roof down and enjoy some sun and extra noise.

Soldato
Done more miles the last two weeks than I did the last 2 months. Our post office severely cut their service and needed to help relocate work. With the roads empty its been quicker to drive to the next town than attempting to do anything locally.

Soldato
Nope, I'm a pharmacist so still have to go to work. Roads are pretty much full of lorries or vans. Although the roads were a lot busier this morning saw a lot of normal cars.

Permabanned
I live on a busy main road (a little back from it with garden not too bad for people walking past windows etc) but the traffic (talking personal cars not vans) has easily increased 2-3x the past 2 days it was dead before that esp. later on about 8pm onwards..

Soldato
Personally I'm loving driving to work during the apocalypse. I get to do the speed limit, it's great. There's still some retards around but nowhere near as many. Although if much prefer to be chilling at home:D.

Back
Top Bottom