*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
I'm getting rather bored of pulled pork on buns with coleslaw, so I've decided to make Tinga de Puerco on Saturday because there are few things I love in life more than Mexican food :D

I'll be using the Weber Summit Charcoal, Weber dutch oven and the Weber grilling rack for the Summit to lift the pork above the dutch oven.

Just watched that whole video, holy balls that looks good. Just ordered some of the chipotles now so I can give it a go.

I'll do it on my callow smoker, has 2 levels so should work well. Just need to work out what I'll use for the dutch oven, don't want to drop 100 quid on a new one, I've got a good cast iron pan but the golden rule of nicely seasoned cast iron pans is no tomatoes! So I don't want to use that. That leaves either the le creuset or a stainless steel wide pan I have. If I use the le creuset and it comes out not looking as nice and shiny as it normally does once washed up then wife won't be too happy. Will my stainless steel pan work ok? It's like a big paella pan.

Soldato
Just watched that whole video, holy balls that looks good. Just ordered some of the chipotles now so I can give it a go.

You won't be disappointed! It's definitely one I'll do again. :)

I'd imagine the stainless steel one would be OK, might just need a bit more stirring so bits don't stick on the bottom but you cook it at a low enough temperature it shouldn't be much of an issue. I grabbed my Weber one for much less than RRP but there don't seem to be any decent offers about for it at the moment annoyingly.

Soldato
@Street - quick question about the vortex: will it fit under a regular grill in a normal sized Weber kettle (57cm)? I don’t have the fancy gourmet grill. Really hankering after one of these now!

Do it.. £25 on ProSmoke at the moment!! :D I've got the 57cm Master Touch and it fits under the grill fine without taking the middle bit out.

I've been trying to get some meat ordered in so I can BBQ while I'm off work but it looks like the online butchers are taking just as long as the supermarkets for deliveries currently. At least I've got some short ribs in the freezer to keep me going.

Soldato
Ive got some short rib on smoke for the first time in ages. First test of the FireBoard which is so far a complete game changer. The app works seamlessly with my phone (although Alexa being difficult) And I love the tracking graph and ability to drop in notes with pictures as a history of every smoke I’ll ever do. Very happy with it!

Associate
Whats peoples view on gas BBQ's? The neighbour directly next to us is a pretty cantankerous old woman who, everytime we break the charcoal weber out, stands outside coughing and staring (she's given up on complaining after i told her to bugger off when she moaned about a tumble dryer going on a cold rainy day). I figured it might be a good compromise.

Associate
I assume she moans about when lighting up. Either tell her to do one or just use quality charcoal rather than briquettes. You get less smoke when lighting and when it’s going I can’t imagine their is much difference between gas and charcoal most of the smell smoke etc is probably fat, liquid coming into contact with the hot coals/gas burner/lava blocks etc

Soldato
Ive got some short rib on smoke for the first time in ages. First test of the FireBoard which is so far a complete game changer. The app works seamlessly with my phone (although Alexa being difficult) And I love the tracking graph and ability to drop in notes with pictures as a history of every smoke I’ll ever do. Very happy with it!

FireBoard is incredible. I wouldn't BBQ half as much if I had to fiddle with the vents all day!

Soldato

FireBoard is incredible. I wouldn't BBQ half as much if I had to fiddle with the vents all day!

Damn it, posts like these don't help me when I'm trying to hold off buying one for now!

Associate
I've got less than 1kg of brisket smoking. After 5 hours it was only at 127f.

Decided to wrap it with foil and it's now coming up to 8 hours and it's 147f.

Do I just accept it's going to take ages?

Only difference from my previous brisket is that I'm using foil as a heat reflector, thought that was to improve it!?

Temp on the weber has been 225-250

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you using the lid thermometer for the BBQ temp or a probe next to the meat? Seems a long time for a smaller joint although saying that, I've had pork butts take a stupid amount of time sometimes for no apparent reason.

I decided to use another one of the Smokin Elks recipes today and use some of my pork tinga from last weekend for BBQ tinga sausage rolls. I've also got some wings soaking in buttermilk to throw on with the vortex later! :)

1RZ0YW7.jpg

Associate
Just using the lid. I've ordered a thermopro but not arriving until friday.

Currently at 180 after 10 hours. I'm patiently waiting for 190, looks like a late dinner...

Associate
I’ve been inspired by the pictures, the recipes and the flurry of gadgets available to an avid BBQ’r these days and have taken the plunge on a 22” kettle BBQ to be delivered this week.
My question is, or sorry, multiple questions:
Best place to buy briqs? I’ve read briquettes are far better than lump wood?
Best thermometer? I gather two wired probes minimum are best - one for meat, one to put next to the cooking surface?
Other accessories? - Slow n Sear is on the list, where’s the best place to buy from in UK?

Apologies about the flurry of questions, whilst I’d normally trust my google-fu there are almost too many options so would rather reccomendations.

Back
Top Bottom