The Climbing Thread

Soldato
OP
I've got a bit of a circuit routine going which I think will maintain my strength just about (maybe improve, as I've never stuck to a hangboard routine before).

I'm doing the work-provided online yoga classes twice a week as well which i can feel is already loosening me up....

My grand plans of spending this year getting into sport climbing ready for starting trad next year are up the chute though :(

Hopefully it won't be too long before we can get outdoors. My boulder mat and peak bouldering book are ready and waiting...

Soldato
Hopefully it won't be too long before we can get outdoors. My boulder mat and peak bouldering book are ready and waiting...

All of my gear is still sat in the hallway, just with a thick layer of dust over it now, much to the missus's annoyance. My previous excuse of not putting it away because I'll only need it all again at the weekend isn't working at the moment! :D

M6j6dXxl.jpg

At least there are plenty of free bouldering and trad films for me to work my way through to relieve my boredom while my strength slowly disappears.

Associate
That's more winter climbing than I've managed this year! Winter has been non existent in Wales this season and the weekends I've had set aside for Scotland the conditions weren't worth the drive up. I was planning a trip up a few weeks back and then all this kicked off. I've even scrapped my trip up to Orkney in June for the Old Man of Hoy. :( At least I managed a few trad sessions out in the Peak before lock down.

Yeh its been a funny winter, did castle ridge on the ben just into the new year.
Then stayed in the CIC hut for 4 nights and manged to do green gully and combe gully both in good nick.
Me and my mate thinking doing 4 day mission to the skye ridge, love that place.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I feel like I have got a bit stronger in the core and been doing repeaters for about 4 weeks now so my PE should have increased but I know that like a lot of people who have been training during lockdown, I will go back and be utter ****.

Soldato
OP
I've not been doing any climbing training during lockdown, I just hate doing mindless reps, not for me. I've done a lot of cycling (with hill climbs) and walking though so my legs are probably stronger than before.

Think I'm going to get out to some local rocks later in the week, there's a few bouldering spots 5 minutes away I've been meaning to check out.

Soldato
I'm hoping to get out next week and do some local boulders. I'm going to be weak! I've got a hangboard but I'm not a fan of using it so haven't climbed for the last couple months. However, no work and lots of time to do nothing means that cardio wise, I'm the fittest I've been. Just a shame I'm not off to the alps this year to capitalise on it!

Soldato
OP
Gyms open next month sometime then...I am looking forward to getting back, I've been useless at training at home, lost quite a lot of muscle mass, but at least I should be lighter, ha!

Going to hid the diet and training hard once I can get in a gym, I suspect they'll only be open for a short while before lockdown round 2 arrives.

Soldato
Gyms open next month sometime then...I am looking forward to getting back, I've been useless at training at home, lost quite a lot of muscle mass, but at least I should be lighter, ha!

Going to hid the diet and training hard once I can get in a gym, I suspect they'll only be open for a short while before lockdown round 2 arrives.

I haven't actually missed climbing indoors as much as I thought I would. The fact that the weather has been amazing and I was furloughed, along with a couple climbing partners has helped though. I've been out exploring local crags I've not visited before and have climbed more outdoors recently than I have in a long time. I'm probably the fittest and strongest I've been in a while! I'm spoilt for choice really with all the sandstone and grit quarries nearby, and even now I'm back in work it's not been much hassle to drive somewhere in the evening for some climbing as with the long days I can still get a good few routes in. I think even when the walls open again, I'm going to try and make the effort to go to a crag after work during the summer instead of the convenience of an indoor boulder session. I'm still gutted we had to cancel our trip to do the Old Man of Hoy though. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My climbing buddy has just gone back to Germany, and the mountaineering club I'd joined to find some partners here isn't meeting so it's all been a bit of a bust.

Have gone to a local bouldering spot a couple of times which is OK, but only really for training easy stuff.

I was hopeful of getting a trip to Fontainebleau in October but I think we'll be back in lockdown by then alas.

Soldato
OP
First time back in the gym today, it was pretty nice being quieter and having more space tbh!

Given I'm not trained since the first week or two of lockdown, I was pleasantly surprised at my climbing, thought I might have regressed quite a bit. Eased back into it, but was flashing V4-5 still. Didn't try anything beyond that as my skin got rekt in the 90 minute session.

Soldato
First time back in the gym today, it was pretty nice being quieter and having more space tbh!

Given I'm not trained since the first week or two of lockdown, I was pleasantly surprised at my climbing, thought I might have regressed quite a bit. Eased back into it, but was flashing V4-5 still. Didn't try anything beyond that as my skin got rekt in the 90 minute session.

Nice! The place I go to has opened a new site in the city and I was looking forward to going and checking it out, however I managed to snap my ankle last week and currently can't walk too well so thought it might not be wise.
I'm hoping it sorts itself out for next weekend as I was planning on doing a long mountain multi pitch for my birthday. :(

Soldato
OP
Nice! The place I go to has opened a new site in the city and I was looking forward to going and checking it out, however I managed to snap my ankle last week and currently can't walk too well so thought it might not be wise.
I'm hoping it sorts itself out for next weekend as I was planning on doing a long mountain multi pitch for my birthday. :(

Oof, that sucks :(

I've surprised myself how quickly I've come back after being a slob for four months. Did a crimpy moonboard style overhanging route on the V5-7 set and was amazed at every hold I grabbed and held, felt like my finger strength has even improved.

Now just need my skin to toughen up again...

fez

fez

Caporegime
Oof, that sucks :(

I've surprised myself how quickly I've come back after being a slob for four months. Did a crimpy moonboard style overhanging route on the V5-7 set and was amazed at every hold I grabbed and held, felt like my finger strength has even improved.

Now just need my skin to toughen up again...

Either you were injured/super tired before lockdown, you have been training during lockdown or your wall is doing what a lot of walls have done and softened their grades a lot since re-opening. You don't get better finger strength from not climbing for 4 months.

Soldato
OP
Either you were injured/super tired before lockdown, you have been training during lockdown or your wall is doing what a lot of walls have done and softened their grades a lot since re-opening. You don't get better finger strength from not climbing for 4 months.

I know it won't have actually improved :p I had been climbing 3 days a week for 2-3 years without a break though, so a bit of time off isn't going to have done much harm.

Have a session booked later today but think I've gonna bail with this heat. Forgot my antihydral yesterday so I'll spare people the slopping wet handprints on everything...

fez

fez

Caporegime
I know it won't have actually improved :p I had been climbing 3 days a week for 2-3 years without a break though, so a bit of time off isn't going to have done much harm.

Have a session booked later today but think I've gonna bail with this heat. Forgot my antihydral yesterday so I'll spare people the slopping wet handprints on everything...

You realise how much general fatigue and niggles you climb with when you have a break! Well, unless you are a yoot and can recover in 6 hours.

Do you find antihydral that quick acting? I thought that it was something that you apply over weeks to reduce the sweating in your fingers slowly?

Back
Top Bottom