Road Cycling

Soldato
I'm sure that's sensible, but my stupid brain works differently. My brain tells me that's wasting money as when I get my wheel replaced, I would never put the cheap ones back on. My brain says, buy a nice set of wheels I can take with me from bike to bike in the future. Is that silly?

The Fulcrum 6 do like reasonable for only £200 though. How does wheel compatibility work? Would they also go on my Boardman HYB 9.8 Disc?

I guess I need to move the discs over from wheel to wheel, right? I assume that's an easy job?

Soldato
Came to use summer bike, the barrel adjuster on the rear calliper snapped last year, but it’s been on the trainer since October.

It is 8 years old now, it’s an early gen 2011 red (10 speed) calliper. The write ups of these are fairly average but can’t say I have found them to be poor.

I thought I’d just buy a new barrel adjuster instead of a whole new calliper. £8 bit of a rip off but ok.

Could I do it. Nope.

Bolt didn’t have enough thread to put two nuts on and wind out.

Mole grips crushed it as weak aluminium and it’s hollow.

Cut a slot in the top by hand and tried a screwdriver, but that didn’t work either, metal was too soft.

Drill down the middle to weaken it and hope to crush it or for it to wind out. Didn’t work.

Went up a bit size so I was touching the threads, still didn’t work.

Corrosion and/or similar metals. So it’s knackered now. The remaining adjuster is welded to the inside of the calliper body and I can’t get it out.

The replacement Sram calipers are quite expensive. I don’t think there is any difference between Shimano or Sram pull wise? Shimano always get slightly better write ups than SRAM so I might change.

What’s best VFM at the moment, Dura Ace 9000 are £150 a pair brand new... or go for R8000 at half that price!?

Soldato
I'm sure that's sensible, but my stupid brain works differently. My brain tells me that's wasting money as when I get my wheel replaced, I would never put the cheap ones back on. My brain says, buy a nice set of wheels I can take with me from bike to bike in the future. Is that silly?

The Fulcrum 6 do like reasonable for only £200 though. How does wheel compatibility work? Would they also go on my Boardman HYB 9.8 Disc?

I guess I need to move the discs over from wheel to wheel, right? I assume that's an easy job?

@AndyCr15 They should work with the boardman as they can be converted to QR and are 135mm spaced at the rear. Rotors can be swapped if they are all centrelock.

Soldato
I'd just drill it out to a bigger size and stick another adjuster in it. Don't even need to tap it as the tension holds it in.

If not then what he said ^

Hadn’t thought of that, but yeah that could work, I only scuffed it a little and haven’t damaged it.

I could drill a 6mm hole through the lot but it would leave it quite thin.

Will mull it over tomorrow, be nice to have for the Easter weekend.

Got out on the TT for an easy 40k today, definitely worked a few different muscles.

Soldato
Maybe cause I have loads of bits and bobs in the shop I'd find something that would work.

My mate lost has plastic one from a 6800 brake, I stuck an adjuster from a tektro brake on it but with the lock nut would from the bottom to lock it in place.

Soldato
Yeah kind of thing if you have a big box of bits you can pull one out of no problem.

Any experience of this?

Zinn Quote, but CyclingTips says similar.

Weightweenies seems to say that it works fine & Shimano are better braking..

Current Shimano calipers are built with higher leverage (longer lever arms) and are paired with a low-leverage lever that pulls more cable. So the SRAM lever, which has higher leverage and less cable pull than the Shimano lever, will not get the pads to the rim as quickly; they will need to be set up with the pads closer to the rim to get the same range of lever movement, and they will make the brake system more powerful than it was designed to be.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fulcrum racing 6 disc maybe?

I've done this. £205 being delivered tomorrow. As they will go on the Boardman, I was only just saying to a friend I wouldn't mind a second set of wheels for the Boardman so I can switch it between off road and road... so once the front wheel has served its purpose on the Canyon, it can be the spare (main/road) set for the Boardman which currently has knobblies on for off roading.

I will at some point, when they get their act together, be getting an eBike from delivered from Halfords, which I am assuming is the same wheels as my current HYB?

They should work with the boardman as they can be converted to QR and are 135mm spaced at the rear.

Thanks, so I think I need this for the front wheel and this for the rear, right? Do the measurements have to be exact, or could I just get this set.

Soldato
I've done this. £205 being delivered tomorrow. As they will go on the Boardman, I was only just saying to a friend I wouldn't mind a second set of wheels for the Boardman so I can switch it between off road and road... so once the front wheel has served its purpose on the Canyon, it can be the spare (main/road) set for the Boardman which currently has knobblies on for off roading.

I will at some point, when they get their act together, be getting an eBike from delivered from Halfords, which I am assuming is the same wheels as my current HYB?

Thanks, so I think I need this for the front wheel and this for the rear, right? Do the measurements have to be exact, or could I just get this set.

https://www.bike24.com/p2183552.html

The wheels will come with wee plug things that insert into the bigger holes that your canyon will use. You can reuse the skewers from the boardman.

There is about 4 different bags with bits and bobs for qr, 12 and 15mm axle parts. Pretty much they will come set up to go straight on the canyon and you add the plugs, I think removing something off the back wheel as they are 142x12 and need to be narrower for the boardman. Read the instructions it does make sense or post up photos as the lock nut on the drive side is left hand thread I'm sure.

Soldato
Revisited my brake today while I was nice and relaxed, didn’t rush into any internet orders last night!

I went up to a 5.5mm bit and salvaged 50% of the threads.

Used a bolt to clean them up and it’s solid, it’s a good 8-10mm thick so still good thread engagement. Rebuilt (with some anti seize ;)), with any luck saved £80 buying new front & rear matching callipers.

It’s the rear so not going to be as stressed as the front, id err on the side of caution and change it then, but I can’t see any problem with this. Worst case I’ll lose the tension put on the cable from the adjuster (but there is almost no load on it here so chances are very slim), but I won’t lose all braking.

Soldato
Getting twitchy, about to go out, wondering if this might be the last day before a proper lockdown and should I tick a not so local hill off this year's bucket list before it's illegal...

Soldato
Getting twitchy, about to go out, wondering if this might be the last day before a proper lockdown and should I tick a not so local hill off this year's bucket list before it's illegal...

I'd hope there to be stricter enforcement of the current rules first. I'd be very disappointed if they remove our right to go for a ride.

In other news, the last few cycles have been lovely, can even use the seafront which is usually a no go zone 99% of the time.

Soldato
Probably getting hammered with uploads from people going out & lots of zwifters auto uploading.

Mine took a while to find segments but not a big deal.

I had a decent ride today, saw people out in tights and jackets!! 20c!

Soldato
After the chain jumping on my Planet-X during turbo sessions of late, I've had a maintenance session over the weekend. I ordered up a new BB, cassette and chain.

First off, when did Shimano change the size of HT external BB cups? I've got the proper metal tool for the HT BB cups but it doesn't fit the new size. Thankfully, I remembered I had another BBR60 which was boxed and that had the plastic fitting adapter so didn't get stuck there.

Anyway, I got the new bits fitted so put the bike back on the turbo for a quick pedal. All is good on the big ring (50t) when in the three or four biggest rear cogs. However, move up the block and the new chain starts jumping horribly. All seems fine on the 34t ring. As the only thing not changed are the chainrings, I'm thinking the big ring is cooked. On reflection that's not surprising given it's seen way more use on the road and I never use the inner ring when on the turbo - it's also the original chainring and I bought the chainset in March 2014.

At this point I looked up the cost of a new Ultegra 6750 50t chainring...

£75.

:eek:
:mad:

£75.

:eek:

So

1) Does a 5750 chainring fit on a 6750 crankset? They are only £29 on Wiggle - suspect the colour might not match but I don't mind as the bike lives on the turbo now.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-fc5750-10-speed-compact-chainrings/

2) Or, is an 11 speed chainset happy on a 10 speed chain & cassette? Merlin have the RS510 chainset for £44.

Soldato
Is it just 5 bolt 110bcd?

Should be plenty out there. 10/11 speed chainrings all play together.

Rode the TT yesterday on “winter” tubulars and only 22-23mm. The ride is so bad compared to 28mm GP5000!

Pity I am stuck using narrow rims, I’d like to put 25s on there & use them on the R5 too, but with the road quality the ride would be too harsh and I’d lose time from bouncing around! They are great 25% of the time, OK 50% and terrible the rest of the time.

Back
Top Bottom