Learning a skill in isolation

Soldato
Im starting to get bored of sleeping, watching tv and doing the basics in Isolation.
I thought Learning a skill in isolation would be a good idea with so much free time.

I thought others would be in the same position

what skill are you looking to learn or learning ??

if you already have a skill you have learned in the past share your thoughts.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Knitting?
Good choice but I need to stay away from gran

Woodwork?
Yes, hings are that bad Im not paying much attention to things.

The last time I was stuck inside I did my CCNA course on Udemy and passed the exam first time, there's free google cloud training available and Pluralsight are doing a free month - https://www.pluralsight.com/offer/2020/free-april-month

Work is keeping me busy at present but as soon as it dies down I'll probably study some more.
Thanks ill take a look.

I haz 4090!
Don
Are you in forced isolation because you have symptoms, or are you free to get out and about for your hourly exercise allowance? I've taken up biking to get me out of the house for a bit and I'm loving it. It's funny because I didn't exercise at all before we were forced to stay inside, but it's doing wonders for me and getting the exercise is keeping me going mentally as well as physically. I can only manage half an hour or so around the trails round my house so far (some killer climbs!) but it sorts me out mentally and physically for the rest of the day.

Soldato
OP
Are you in forced isolation because you have symptoms, or are you free to get out and about for your hourly exercise allowance? I've taken up biking to get me out of the house for a bit and I'm loving it. It's funny because I didn't exercise at all before we were forced to stay inside, but it's doing wonders for me and getting the exercise is keeping me going mentally as well as physically. I can only manage half an hour or so around the trails round my house so far (some killer climbs!) but it sorts me out mentally and physically for the rest of the day.
Im not in forced isolation but i am in the high risk category.

I am trying to learn guitar, managed to learn the intro to the Top Gun theme tune last night :D
I would love to learn musical instrument like the piano or guitar, Ive also not good with notes even at school.

Soldato
I wish I had time to learn something ... Working from home means that I'm busy from 8am to 6pm on week days and the last thing I want to do after that is concentrate on a screen to sit through a course ... I was studying to renew a certification but my exam was cancelled and it won't be able to reschedule until late summer at the earliest

I haz 4090!
Don
That's unreal!

Just a note on learning on an electric that isn't plugged in. It's generally not a good idea as you'll tend to develop a really heavy picking hand to compensate for the lack of volume. Get a cheap acoustic or plug it in. Rocksmith is an idea if you don't want the hassle of setting it up properly every time you want to play.

Caporegime
That's unreal!

Just a note on learning on an electric that isn't plugged in. It's generally not a good idea as you'll tend to develop a really heavy picking hand to compensate for the lack of volume. Get a cheap acoustic or plug it in. Rocksmith is an idea if you don't want the hassle of setting it up properly every time you want to play.

I have a Taylor GS mini but find the telecaster easy enough to get some chords practicing in.

I am using the Fender Play app, currently doing the lockdown they are doing 3 months sub for free.

Commissario
I’ve thought about using the time to start learning Spanish, but that’s about as far as I’ve got and have no idea where to start.
Que?

Back
Top Bottom