Resident Evil 3 (r3make)

Caporegime
yeah same Pro, it tends to happen in situations when enemies are in melee range. It's as if the game just ignores you and lets the zombie chomp your head off.

Soldato
Hmmm..... sounds like it's because the zombie was in range and the chomping animation has triggered which disables the aim? (even though maybe to you, it looks like you still have a bit of time left to shoot?)
I'll keep an eye out for it tho. But I tend to keep them as far away as possible. They're scary ! :(

Caporegime
I dunno, sometimes I spend what feels like 1-2 seconds trying to get L2 to work before being attacked, it's kind of hard to explain but it feels like my joypad is faulty. Very occasionally my controller cuts out totally which is weird because I use it wired so might be issue with my controller.

Soldato
I played the demo and was able to get all the Charlie dolls - so know that part of the map pretty well. The full game arrived today and i booted it up straight away!

Very impressed with the visuals and you are put straight into the action with Nemesis - but don't let that put you off (i too prefer to explore the lovely RE scenery at my own pace!!)

A couple of differences between the main game and the demo so far, ie i spent a little bit too much time looking for the bolt cutters and avoiding picking up the fire hose triggering Nemesis! For those who have played the demo, you need to pick up the hose (does not trigger) and put out the fire THEN you get the cutters.

Another tip

go back an uncrop everything.

go into the room that talks about the 4 circuit breakers, out the door, down the stairs, turn left and search the corpse for the LOCKPICK. Again, double back to open all the yellow locks - don't forget the Toy Shop as you get another 'fancy box' and jewel. Once you have the 3 coloured jewels, double back to the very first safe room and put the jewels into the clock puzzle - you will get 3 rewards.

I have saved my progress at this point and will carry on later tonight.

Soldato
Can tell you if you want :p

Finished this morning. Rank C (lol). Clear time was 5hrs 30 and total playtime was 7hrs 30, that was also taking my time with a bit of backtracking, so yeah, not a huge game, buuuuuuut, each scene was relevant, there wasn't mindless running/grinding like some games.

On the other hand, it was quite a small map and very much on tracks ie the only backtracking i did was to get the Master of Locks trophy, normally it's a case of "now where was x item?" and having to remember maps/locations - i had no issues here.

Loved the game and the visuals throughout were amazeballs.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Finished this morning. Rank C (lol). Clear time was 5hrs 30 and total playtime was 7hrs 30, that was also taking my time with a bit of backtracking, so yeah, not a huge game, buuuuuuut, each scene was relevant, there wasn't mindless running/grinding like some games.

On the other hand, it was quite a small map and very much on tracks ie the only backtracking i did was to get the Master of Locks trophy, normally it's a case of "now where was x item?" and having to remember maps/locations - i had no issues here.

Loved the game and the visuals throughout were amazeballs.
Yep. I left my mini review in the PC Games section. Basically had they expanded on the city section at the start and made that much bigger, it probably would have fared much better in reviews. They should have sold the Resident Evil Resistance game separately or just plain not bothered with it. I had a quick go in the morning, not my kind of thing. Wish the effort went into just expanding RE3 by 2 more hours or something.

Currently on my 2nd playthough, playing on assisted for fun this time. Already halfway through the game, much quicker this time :)

Soldato
That's my run on standard complete.
I like to take my time, explore every nook and cranny and don't run unless the gameplay depends on it :)
Clear time was 7hrs 30 and total playtime was 10hrs.

Actually didn't feel as short as people have been complaining about.
Like TNA above said, it would have been great if they added a couple more hours to the story instead of making an extra game mode that no one asked for though.

All in all, quite fun, even though at the risk of sounding like an arty farty douchebag, I felt it was missing something I can't quite put my finger on.
Felt a little hollow, like it had no soul. Hahah !!

Anyway, time to have a crack at Hardcore mode and maybe aim for sub 5 hours :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That's my run on standard complete.
I like to take my time, explore every nook and cranny and don't run unless the gameplay depends on it :)
Clear time was 7hrs 30 and total playtime was 10hrs.

Actually didn't feel as short as people have been complaining about.
Like TNA above said, it would have been great if they added a couple more hours to the story instead of making an extra game mode that no one asked for though.

All in all, quite fun, even though at the risk of sounding like an arty farty douchebag, I felt it was missing something I can't quite put my finger on.
Felt a little hollow, like it had no soul. Hahah !!

Anyway, time to have a crack at Hardcore mode and maybe aim for sub 5 hours :D

Yeah there is definitely something missing I agree. Not enough puzzles and exploration. Some people do not like backtracking, I love finding a key and making my way back to a door I could not get in before. Then to get there and find a puzzle or for new monsters to appear. They needed to add at least 2 hours of that in the city with a few more instances or nemesis chasing you the normal way.

I do not like too much action, it is not what Resident Evil is about. That’s what Resident Evil 6 was about and look how that turned out. The worst Resident Evil game ever...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Original Res Evil 3 playthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnEmuhdVPRw

Nemesis was much more prevalent in the original and much harder to take down!

Also watching this, i cannot understand why they removed the clock tower etc, would have added more playing time and could have looked visually stunning.
Yeah. I completed it a few days ago leading up to the remake playthrough. I still prefer the original overall to the remake. I don’t get why they don’t give people what we clearly want and what worked perfectly in the original resident evil remake. Keep everything from the original as it is (maybe slightly tweak it) and then add new stuff. That is all they need to bloody do.

Man of Honour
I’ve been enjoying it. I think I’m in the final portions of the game now, post-hospital.

The original RE3 wasn’t great, unless you really like backtracking. Any criticism that this game lacks soul can be placed on the original.

The biggest complaint of the RE2 remake was that Mr. X was annoying. Likewise, Nemesis in the original RE3 was extremely annoying. He’s still quite annoying in this game. I’m not surprised they toned him down to scripted sequences later on. Capcom couldn’t win on this.

I’m not sure whether I’ve been particularly conservative or not but I seemingly have so much decent ammo that I’m just running around attacking most enemies with the grenade launcher. You know what? After the stress of not having much ammo earlier on, it’s delightful and by far away the most fun I’ve had with the game so far.

My gripes this far are two fold. First, I don’t know who thinks that we all really enjoy playing as multiple characters because we really don’t. I want to play as one character only - not some side character. The only good instance of this was in RE4. Secondly, the streets section at the start of the game could have been 3 times as big IMO as it went way to quickly. I went through the whole thing with no backtracking and only once I had ‘triggered’ nemesis did I then have to go back and unlock all the locked doors with the bolt cutters and lock pick, unlock the safe... with nemesis chasing the whole way. That was quite unpleasant!

I have to say, it is a lovely looking game. I really hope they re-make RE4 but don’t cut corners... that game was a labour of love (long and varied) and I worry that it would take so much time to do the environments to this high quality that they would dramatically shorten the game.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The original RE3 wasn’t great, unless you really like backtracking. Any criticism that this game lacks soul can be placed on the original.
I love backtracking :D

The biggest complaint of the RE2 remake was that Mr. X was annoying. Likewise, Nemesis in the original RE3 was extremely annoying. He’s still quite annoying in this game. I’m not surprised they toned him down to scripted sequences later on. Capcom couldn’t win on this.
I agree they could not win. I do not mind MrX or Nemesis. I tend to play these more than once and it is obvious after the first go when they get triggered to come out. Like right now I can fully explore the city area in this game without triggering Nemesis. I mean it ain't even hard to do with him chasing you if you know how to use dodge anyway, either that or lob a grenade at him, problem solved :D

I have to say, it is a lovely looking game. I really hope they re-make RE4 but don’t cut corners... that game was a labour of love (long and varied) and I worry that it would take so much time to do the environments to this high quality that they would dramatically shorten the game.
I really hope they do not bother with RE4 remake. I would much rather see Code Veronica, followed by either Resident Evil 0 or Resident Evil being remade.

Man of Honour
I love backtracking :D

I agree they could not win. I do not mind MrX or Nemesis. I tend to play these more than once and it is obvious after the first go when they get triggered to come out. Like right now I can fully explore the city area in this game without triggering Nemesis. I mean it ain't even hard to do with him chasing you if you know how to use dodge anyway, either that or lob a grenade at him, problem solved :D

I really hope they do not bother with RE4 remake. I would much rather see Code Veronica, followed by either Resident Evil 0 or Resident Evil being remade.
I’ve said it on the forum before but the backtracking in Code Veronica is beyond tedious - argh! Would love to see that game remade in the new style.

I do love the old games but I do dislike how much of them is, let’s face it, trial and error. Having no space to pick up items is annoying. Dying because something jumped out that you couldn’t predict is annoying. Once you know where all the monsters are coming from then it’s different but that sort of trial and error is really annoying in the early games and even on the GameCube games.

I tend to play ultra diligently and get to the end with a bunch of ammo and regret not using it :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I’ve said it on the forum before but the backtracking in Code Veronica is beyond tedious - argh! Would love to see that game remade in the new style.

I do love the old games but I do dislike how much of them is, let’s face it, trial and error. Having no space to pick up items is annoying. Dying because something jumped out that you couldn’t predict is annoying. Once you know where all the monsters are coming from then it’s different but that sort of trial and error is really annoying in the early games and even on the GameCube games.

I tend to play ultra diligently and get to the end with a bunch of ammo and regret not using it :D
All the things you find annoying I consider to be RESIDENT EVIL!! :p:D

Take them out and you might as well go play another zombie game imo. This is why I do not like Resident Evil 4 that much (rubbish story also) and consider it to be a game which took the franchise in the wrong direction. They should have made that game and called it something else imo. I still enjoyed it, just not as a Resident Evil game.

Yeah I always end up with lots of ammo at the end. It is usually because I always aim for the head get the kills with a lot less ammo.

Completed Resident Evil 3 Remake 3 times. Not far off getting ma rocket launcher! 8 achievements left to unlock now. Seems one pesky book is escaping me that I cannot find, also 2 of the bobble heads. Might need to use a guide to find them if I do not find it on my next playthrough :D

Man of Honour
All the things you find annoying I consider to be RESIDENT EVIL!! :p:D

Take them out and you might as well go play another zombie game imo. This is why I do not like Resident Evil 4 that much (rubbish story also) and consider it to be a game which took the franchise in the wrong direction. They should have made that game and called it something else imo. I still enjoyed it, just not as a Resident Evil game.

Yeah I always end up with lots of ammo at the end. It is usually because I always aim for the head get the kills with a lot less ammo.

Completed Resident Evil 3 Remake 3 times. Not far off getting ma rocket launcher! 8 achievements left to unlock now. Seems one pesky book is escaping me that I cannot find, also 2 of the bobble heads. Might need to use a guide to find them if I do not find it on my next playthrough :D
Ha yes everyone enjoys different things. I think I’ve played them all because I like the atmosphere and the ‘spookiness’. Number 7 was a bit too stressful for me on the horror front.

I find inventory/health/ammo management of the earlier games to be a bit of a false ‘gaming challenge’. If you have at least average ‘gaming skills’ then the challenge is really quite low if you know what items to take where and what enemies will appear at what time. It does however add to the tension and therefore the ‘spookiness’. Beyond that though... it’s almost spreadsheet management!

I dislike bosses/ enemies in all games where you are effectively insta-killed unless you play multiple times and know the best way to dodge avoid them, at which point they pose no challenge at all. I like being given a fair opportunity to dynamically react to what is going on around me. That is almost completely absent from the original RE games. I have played the RE-make many times and there is pretty much one route you always follow - which is fine, but then it’s like re-reading a book. It doesn’t offer the reaction based dynamic gameplay that RE4 provides.

Also, I think most of the criticisms that RE4 gets are fair enough if aimed at RE5, but aren’t really fair to aim at RE4. There isn’t THAT much ammo in RE4 and I used to swear that the better you were, the less ammo the game gave you (which has since been confirmed). RE4 is also plenty of scary/tense moments.

I do like that in the RE2/3-makes it balances both styles pretty well. I haven’t finished the new game yet so will post my final thoughts in due course.

Always fun hearing and sharing opinions :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ha yes everyone enjoys different things. I think I’ve played them all because I like the atmosphere and the ‘spookiness’. Number 7 was a bit too stressful for me on the horror front.

I find inventory/health/ammo management of the earlier games to be a bit of a false ‘gaming challenge’. If you have at least average ‘gaming skills’ then the challenge is really quite low if you know what items to take where and what enemies will appear at what time. It does however add to the tension and therefore the ‘spookiness’. Beyond that though... it’s almost spreadsheet management!

I dislike bosses/ enemies in all games where you are effectively insta-killed unless you play multiple times and know the best way to dodge avoid them, at which point they pose no challenge at all. I like being given a fair opportunity to dynamically react to what is going on around me. That is almost completely absent from the original RE games. I have played the RE-make many times and there is pretty much one route you always follow - which is fine, but then it’s like re-reading a book. It doesn’t offer the reaction based dynamic gameplay that RE4 provides.

Also, I think most of the criticisms that RE4 gets are fair enough if aimed at RE5, but aren’t really fair to aim at RE4. There isn’t THAT much ammo in RE4 and I used to swear that the better you were, the less ammo the game gave you (which has since been confirmed). RE4 is also plenty of scary/tense moments.

I do like that in the RE2/3-makes it balances both styles pretty well. I haven’t finished the new game yet so will post my final thoughts in due course.

Always fun hearing and sharing opinions :)
Fair enough. Yep indeed it is fun to to hear and share opinions. There are a handful of games I really like that I do it on a lot more than others, this is one of them :)

My FF7 Remake just arrived (waiting on a 45GB update to complete) so that will be getting all my attention now. But I will likely be back to complete this quite a few more times. At the very least on the Hard and Very Hard difficulties :D

Back
Top Bottom