Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
My usual cleaning process followed by 2 coats of Polish Angel High Gloss.

49734103766_f8cc71620e_c.jpg

It's really bought the flake out in the paint due to the titanium content.

Soldato
Annoyingly just went to Halfords, didn't realise you can't browse stores anymore and everything I need was a week+ to reserve.

I don't get how they're low on stock. They didn't even have any buckets.

Soldato
I’m using chemical guys hex logic pads for machine polishing, can someone tell me how many pads I should need to do a complete car in a day and how to know when to use a new pad?

If I polish a car over 2 days, say the front and a side 1st day and the rear and other side the 2nd day would 1 pad be enough.

thanks

Associate
49735735262_f9159d84cf_c.jpg

I'm really pleased with the gloss levels :)

beachBOYken - If you clean the pad out per panel, there is no reason why 1 pad shouldn't do you the whole car, just be careful of overheating it or clogging it up with product. Give it a good clean out at the end of day 1 too. I suppose in an ideal world, having 2-3 pads available would be nice if you can stretch to it.

I recently did the tailgate on my A2, Heavy cut. medium cut, fine cut, finishing and used a different pad for each. It's worth matching the pad to the compound/polish you're using.

48267292337_157314bde8_c.jpg

I fitted all new badges too.

Soldato
@Muska

Thanks, so I have Scholl S20 black 1 step compound.

Ive seen some videos where they put about 4-5 small pee sized compound on a pad, but they never go on to say how much more they add for each section of the same panel, I guess the same?

Would a toothbrush work for cleaning it out after each panel.

I tested my DA today on one door panel using Meguires M105/205 combo but it was a little warm really and car was not in shade, I hope to do my fiesta at a later date with the Scholl S20, need to get myself a smaller back plater first for the smaller areas.

I also tried out claying as well for the first time, I used bilt hamber medium clay, was ok but it hardened very quickly so had to keep warming it under tap, I might try the softer version next time.

Associate
I've heard of that, a favorite of the Forensic Detailing Channel :)

You're right, the same amount for the next area or panel.

A toothbrush should be fine for cleaning out the pad, although I would do full rinse out and dry at the end of the day.

I keep my clay in warm water which helps with keeping it supple.

Don't forget some pics when you get around to polishing :)

Soldato
I've heard of that, a favorite of the Forensic Detailing Channel :)

You're right, the same amount for the next area or panel.

A toothbrush should be fine for cleaning out the pad, although I would do full rinse out and dry at the end of the day.

I keep my clay in warm water which helps with keeping it supple.

Don't forget some pics when you get around to polishing :)

That’s the channel I’ve been watching, gives some good info. Thanks for the tip about warm water for clay, I will use a bucket of warm water next time.

Might be waiting a long time for pics, I was tired after just doing a panel on the other car.:D

Soldato
I have large microfiber drying towels and I haven't washed the car for ages and I have forgotten which washing liquid to use in washing machine -Bio or None-Bio. ??

PS Just to be clear I am talking of the towels - not putting car in washing machine :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Guys, I've got an M4 in individual paint (grigio telesto) with about 1400 miles on it. Paint from factory was pretty poor with swirl marks. I was going to buy a DA polisher and give the car a machine polish but have never gotten around to it. Haven't even managed to buy a DA polisher. Do you think a quick hand polish would help with such new paint, or am I wasting time and should just pick up a DA?

Associate
Guys, I've got an M4 in individual paint (grigio telesto) with about 1400 miles on it. Paint from factory was pretty poor with swirl marks. I was going to buy a DA polisher and give the car a machine polish but have never gotten around to it. Haven't even managed to buy a DA polisher. Do you think a quick hand polish would help with such new paint, or am I wasting time and should just pick up a DA?

A hand polish will help remove some of the swirls and fill the rest. Autoglym SRP is a good start.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom