1440p/144Hz Monitors

Soldato
I've been looking at these two monitors to replace my current Samsung 4k TV... MSI Optix MAG271CQR Quad HD 27" 144Hz Curved, Acer Nitro VG271UPbmiipx WQHD 27" 144Hz and the MSI Optix MAG272QR Quad HD 27" 165Hz.

Both selling for £299 currently so any thoughts?

Last edited:
Associate
I've just ordered an MSI Optix MAG272CQR Quad HD 27” Curved, which I think is the updated version of the third option you listed as that is now end of life.

It arrives tomorrow so I can provide some answers if there's anything specific you wanted to know.

However the MAG272CQR costs £100.00 more than the MAG272QR, which for a curve I thinks a lot but a MAG272QR @ sub £300.00 seems like a decent deal, I can't see much better in that price class for a 1440p, 165Hz.

Soldato
If you have normally lighted room Acer is IPS, which has the most stable colours/viewing angles and consistent response times.
But if you prefer darker room its standard LCD level limited contrast takes beating from VA.
Whose contrast comes at the expense of darkest shade viewing angle issues and it also has challenges in darker colour transitions being slower, or with RTC overshoot.

It's "pick your poison" situation until we get rid of crappy LCD tech.

Associate
I just ordered an Acer Nitro XV272UP. Slightly more expensive but like the adjustments as I struggle to get settled without them. Should turn up Tuesday next week.

I think it has the same panel as the XV271 just a different frame.

From what I've read it seems like a decent panel, albeit with the usual IPS limitations. Personally I prefer an IPS to the other techs. Have an Asus VH226 currently which is a tech that is the IPS predecessor, and never had any issues in a dark room, although for gaming it doesn't really matter for me.

Soldato
OP
I've just ordered an MSI Optix MAG272CQR Quad HD 27” Curved, which I think is the updated version of the third option you listed as that is now end of life.

It arrives tomorrow so I can provide some answers if there's anything specific you wanted to know.

However the MAG272CQR costs £100.00 more than the MAG272QR, which for a curve I thinks a lot but a MAG272QR @ sub £300.00 seems like a decent deal, I can't see much better in that price class for a 1440p, 165Hz.

Went ahead and ordered the MSI Optix MAG272QR Quad HD 27" 165Hz, selling for £279.95. Hope I've made the right move as I've seen nothing but praise for what I've googled so far.

Soldato
OP

What do you think of the monitor? Mines being delivered tomorrow, it appears I might have the same model as you after all. Product code match that yet advertised as a QR not a CQR?

Associate
Evening,

I'm in two minds.

In games, for me it's fantastic, it's smooth, crisp and generally looks 10/10, an enemy lurking in the shadows will be almost invisible the blacks are so dark, panning around the smoothness I dare say it's a noticeable from 144Hz.

However, the ghosting on the desktop, especially on colour on black is harsh. I was using a using a yellow custom mouse cursor colour and that combined with a dark desktop background made the pointer blur to half it's size while in motion. I changed to a default black with a brighter background and it seems OK but I never has these issues with my Acer Z271 1080p VA Panel.

Another issue I've run into was when using "Shotcut" to edit video clips, the frame rate would tank whilst hovering the pointer over the "Shotcut" window causing savage flickering on other open apps like OBS and Teamspeak while in "Automatic Display Method", changing the setting to "OpenGL Display Method" fixed it, how and why I've no idea. I more stumbled into the fix than having an understanding of it. So you may run into flickering issues with other programmes. (There's an on screen Hz display you can enable in the OSD to track this)

Colour wise the reds a bit on the pink side but otherwise vivid and plentiful. The whites are ok, it looks a bit yellow/ washed and the text isn't as prominent and has a softness compared to my BenQ 1440p IPS LED which I've had 8 Years... but as a VA panel it's as good as my Samsung S32D850D in terms of colour and clarity.

The avatars on this forum for example have a real pop to them compared to my Acer, our particular avatar's suit has more depth to it for example.

G-Sync works, once Freesync is enabled in the OSD, only other setting I've changed is to enable the HDCR setting (personal choice) and upped the brightness and contrast by 5 each. On windows I've increased the text size to 130% (again personal) but most setting out the box are the most convenient, bar normal the other presets looks either too grainy or over saturated.

The curve is 1500R, compared to my 1800R Acer I can't tell the difference but it definitely looks more like a 26" monitor compared to my flat 27".

The Stand is weighty and easy to install, the non curved QR has a better base for me being flat, the feet on the CQR are angled and I can't rest my sound bar on them and there's a headphone holder on the left hand side, although I've used it to mount my microphone.

As it's sold and for me being used as a gaming monitor it's fine and I can live with the issues I've run into. I'm going to give it a day or two to decide if it's a keeper but for my needs/budget, it's probably not going to be repackaged so far.

Soldato
OP
@Elfmeister. - Thank you for taking the time to get back to me, fantastic response.

It's funny you bring up the black issues, I have this mildly on my 4K TV on desktop so you could say I'm used to seeing this. Is this the nature of the beast, or can the issues you describe be fixed with proper calibration? Also, are you using HDMI or Display Port cable?

Could the flickering be a G-Sync issue maybe? I've read the odd comment that briefly describes similar issues your facing as panel lottery and was fixed later with a replacement, could it be that?

I never have much luck with monitors in my history as I usually upon delivery have some issue with severe backlight bleed, dead or stuck pixels etc.

Just found this thread: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...7-gaming-monitor-release-date.18869874/page-6

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom