getting into driving games

Soldato
Just got me a steering wheel and pedals for my PC.

What game is worth starting with? I'd like one I can race against other real people online, and also that has some offline career mode.

Thinking more towards realism than arcade or rally.

Also not too expensive. Heard about i-racing and that its quite expensive.

Thanks

Associate
For competitive, online, (relatively) clean racing, nothing will beat iracing. If your just getting into it and you want some realism, I'd suggest Assetto Corsa. Lots of extra cars and tracks online from the community and it looks great with some tweaking. I havent played it online though. However, there is Assetto Corsa Competizione which, in my experience does have a good platform for online racing.

I haz 4090!
Don
It's also worth investing in a VR headset too if you want to really get into it. I wasn't even hugely into racing games until I tried Assetto Corsa with a wheel and pedals in VR. It's one of the best gaming experiences I think I've ever had.

Associate
Just got me a steering wheel and pedals for my PC.

What game is worth starting with? I'd like one I can race against other real people online, and also that has some offline career mode.

Thinking more towards realism than arcade or rally.

Also not too expensive. Heard about i-racing and that its quite expensive.

Thanks
Which pedals and wheel did you get?

Soldato
Assuming PC, In no particular order;

Assetto Corsa; A proper sim racing game and great value as you pick it up with al the dlc for cheap these days. Also on PC it's open to mods so there are hundreds of additional cars and tracks available most for free. There is a career mode but it's pretty simple one from what I remember (start in a slow car and work your way up but simply pick a class and go racin). Online isn't as populated as it used to be but still plent of racing to be had.
Assetto Corsa Competizione; Based off the the original AC but currently solely based on GT3 racing (with GT4 to be added at some point). ACC doesn't support mods so you only get official content but it's a much more recent game so online is more populated. Career mode is alright though being only GT3 there's no real element of progression.
Project Cars 2: A decent sim title, handling is a little weird in some cars and requires 3rd party force feedback settings to get the most out of it. In standard trim it's the game with the most content of the lot and has DLC too. I haven't played it in a while so I can't comment on online but it used to be comparable to Assetto Corsa's numbers so presume it still is. Career in PC2 is probably the best of the lot though, similar to Assetto Corsa it's based on start in slow cars and work your way up but more involved with your performance and invitationals etc.
iRacing - The price puts a lot of people off and it is expensive when solely compared on price but for online racing I don't think there is a better choice. Outside the price though it does come with som negatives for what you're after, namely there is no career mode.

That is a mostly objective look at the games, subjectively I have a hard time recommending anything other than iracing if you only want online and don't mind the cost or if you don't then Assetto Corsa. Though with your desire for a career I'd lean towards PC2.

There's others out there too but they're much older titles (rf2, nkpro, LFS, GTR2) haven't come out (Automobilista 2) yet or don't have the realism to make the list (Forza).

Soldato
I just did the same and the games I have are:
- Assetto Corsa
- F1 2019
- iRacing

F1 2019 is more of an arcade racer as the controls and game speed feel much less realistic.
ACC has a lot of add-on options and mods which don’t cost too much.
iRacing currently costs $55 for a year sub then some more for cars and tracks which you will need for new championships a when you get out of Rookie Class. It’s much more of a sim than the others with focus on learning lines, cornering and braking.

Take a look at the iRacing and ACC threads in this forum for more info.

Soldato
I wasn't even hugely into racing games until I tried Assetto Corsa with a wheel and pedals in VR. It's one of the best gaming experiences I think I've ever had

Yeah, though I was a fan back in the GPL/N2003 days, that love had long gone. VR got that connection back and triggered spending lots of money on racing gear, with dreams of much more on a motion rig:)

If anyone is recommending AMS2, save yourself for now and just get Project Cars 2. Wait for a steam sale and you'll get insane content for around a tenner.

Soldato
OP
On G2A i can get Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition for just over a tenner, or the standard edition for just over a fiver. Is it worth getting the ultimate edition? Id still need to install mods though right?

Cant afford VR yet but maybe in time now i have the wheel it would be worth it. Ive never tried it. Doesnt it need a top end gpu?

Soldato
I’d say yes get the ultimate edition, you get a lot of dlc for the money and it adds cars that aren’t available as mods.

If you’re getting AC then look at getting;
Content Manager
Shader mod
Sol

Then RaceDepartment is the biggest collection of mods that I know of so go ham.

Soldato
OP
Could do with some help setting up AC.

I've successfully installed content manager, the shaders mod and Sol, and all seems to work fine.

But try as I might I can't get the control buttons to map properly to the wheel.

I've tried all sorts of combinations to fix the brake pedal (have to stamp on it to get it to do anything at all), so have now managed to map the brake to the clutch instead. Is it possible to rebalance the brake pedal without resorting to doing the physical mod?

I also cant get the D-pad on the wheel to perform the look left and look right functions at all. Ive mapped it in the controls settings, but in game when I press left on the d-pad its bringing up some tyre selection options on screen?

Also cant see anything in the settings or button mapping for the following:

How do you show a map of the track on screen?

How do you show the racing line assistant?

How do I make the gear changes automatic?

Soldato
Also cant see anything in the settings or button mapping for the following:

How do you show a map of the track on screen?

How do you show the racing line assistant?

How do I make the gear changes automatic?

Once on track (and out of the setup menu), move your mouse all the way the right of the screen and you'll see a side menu bar pop up. You'll find the local track map there in the Kuno Apps section.
If you want a map of the entire track, showing all the cars on it, then click HERE

Click on the 3 dots in this pic to change shift type and racing line.
wteavb.jpg

I'd advise you to stick to manual and leave the racing line off. You'll only teach yourself bad habits and have to relearn things properly at some point.

Here's some keyboard shortcuts: https://defkey.com/assetto-corsa-shortcuts

ED: As for mapping controls. Sometimes it just doesn't stick for some reason.
Map your controls and save it as a profile. You may have to reload it or even restart CM sometimes.

Last edited:
Associate
Need for speed: shift 2 unleashed.

So underrated.

I agree, it's basically got a Playstation Grand Turismo game style structure to it, very addictive progression and great with a wheel.

I also have a wheel but find some of the sim games like Assetto Corsa a bit too technical as I'm just not skilled at that type. Though I may give Assetto another go soon I had big either under or oversteer couldn't seem to find a sweet spot.

I had a great time with Shift 2 and all the Dirt games using a wheel for a slightly more forgiving experience, I thought Dirt 4 was great with a wheel for not asking too much of a player.

Also it's not racing but for a change of pace the Euro and American Truck sims are great fun with a wheel, sometimes nice to drive the speed limit and relax with a radio station after racing.

Soldato
OP
Re the wheel.

is it normal for it to feel resistance even when driving normally in a normal car on asphalt? I am getting feedback from the wheel where I wouldn't have expected any, i.e gentle turns.

Ive never driven a fast car on any track before, not sure how the steering is supposed to feel?

Back
Top Bottom