Anyone else really missing driving right now? (Rant/moan)

Associate
Okay I'm not one to say I don't loose my temper at the Great British roads, slow drivers, middle lane hoggers and all, but it's now been nearly 3 weeks since I've been on a proper drive and in that 3 weeks I've maybe done 6 or 7 miles in total to the supermarket and back a few times. All I can say is how much I miss just driving places, or driving for the sake of it, sometimes fast, sometimes slow listening to a bit of music.

And you know whats worse? This is probably the best time to go for a decent drive and we are all missing it; cheaper fuel, empty roads, nice weather.

Its motivated me to get another track day booked at least to blow off the cobwebs.

Soldato
Not missing driving while the twice daily
School runs on that's for sure
Are today's kids so pampered they cant
Walk, cycle or get the bus to school
I used to walk 2 miles to school in all weather
Guess I am showing my age lol

I'm in my 30s and even we used to make our own way to school. Kids went soft sometime around year 2000 :p

Soldato
Is there anything wrong with going for a drive? You will not come into contact with anyone stuck in your car.

I imagine it would be cool to drive in to Central London in the evening for sightseeing, as I expect the roads (and pavements) are empty in the evening.

Associate
Well im a "key worker" as is my wife. Her cars been sat for 2 weeks as weve had to do the whole isolation thing because I had a temp. Shes going back to work this week and i was out of isolation last week. Yesterday I took her car out for the first time since we locked down - start/stop wasnt working so i decided to extend my drive back from the shops to charge up the battery - seemed sensible option to maintain the cars battery rather than risk it not starting and her having to call out the AA and her getting to work late...The nice weather and empty roads are pleasant.

Whats annoying me is that I cant get my car serviced! BMW garage are open and will do my MOT but they wont service the car. Apparently as a "key worker" I can have an MOT and fix the car if it breaks but I cant get it serviced to reduce the chance of it breaking - nonsensical - if theyre willing to do the MOT I dont see why they wont service it too.

Caporegime
Most the people out driving are taking advantage of empty roads and driving very quick. And accident is gonna be a bit more to deal with for emergency services than someone falling off their bike.

Associate
No. Are you? I think you must be from a planet inhabited entirely by ********* or something.
I feel like breaking down or having an accident isn't very likely. I've driven for 10 years and have never broken down or had an accident. Some people just want to get offended

Caporegime
I feel like breaking down or having an accident isn't very likely. I've driven for 10 years and have never broken down or had an accident. Some people just want to get offended
That’s the same attitude as to why most people go out and about though. ‘ Hasn’t happened to be yet so it won’t’

Associate
That’s the same attitude as to why most people go out and about though. ‘ Hasn’t happened to be yet so it won’t’
It is a point but I feel like in general, having a drive is a pretty low risk activity. It's certainly lower risk to others than going out and congregating in a park or needlessly going out shopping.

Man of Honour
Car has been getting a weekly trundle to the shop but not having to come into the office is saving near on £300 a month so it has its upsides.

Came into the office on the bike this morning though and while the roads were quietish the remaining traffic was definitely moving quicker than normal, I don't go above 80 indicated anymore on the M way and there were vans sailing past me like I was stood still.

Back
Top Bottom