A remote (party?) game for non gamers

Soldato
This is a bit of an odd one. Perhaps belonged in one of the gaming forums, but not sure whether to aim for PC or mobile.

On Friday, it is my Mother In Law's birthday, and she lives alone so will have been alone for 3 weeks by then.
I'm wondering if there's anything we (that being her, me and my wife and daughter at my house, and her other daughter and her husband from their house) can do that's a bit more involving than a Facetime chat.

Is there any kind of web based board game or something we could all play together on one device while chatting together on another?
For that matter, what's the best solution for chatting? Just something like Whatsapp? Or is this HouseParty that seems to be suddenly popular a better solution?

If we'll need to install something it might be doable - she's actually become quite into tech more recently with a smart phone and the like. But her laptop won't be capable of anything extreme.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the tips. I reckon Skriblio will definitely be used. Will look into HouseParty too.

Jackbox I realise I have on the Switch rather than PC. That doesn't stop us using it - but I guess most players won't be able to see the 'main' screen, so many (if not all) of the games won't really work. I'll give it a try myself and see if it looks feasible.

Man of Honour
Make a quiz? That’s what my family have been doing - we each take it in turns to do a different quiz. We make it fun by having brain teaser rounds, some multiple choice, some questions relation to the family etc. Has been really good.

Soldato
Houseparty app was hacked last weekend i believe?

Doesn't seem to be any proof that it was, just lots of people sharing stories but more likely that was due to people using same account details across several sites / services or falling for one of the many email scams rather than houseparty itself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52112172

You should lock the room though, especially if kids are using it.

Soldato
OP
Quick try out of Jackbox suggests it won't work. Everyone needs to be able to see the main screen, and I have it on Switch not Steam, so I can't think of a way of achieving that.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Been playing Jackbox (but on Steam) streamed via Twitch and then chat / video via Google Meet with friends. Worked well for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom