Query on Cosair Vengance LPX Memory speeds - Pictures

Associate
Hopefully someone will have some ideas on this one or maybe I am just out of luck.

I have a Ryzen 2700X and a MSI X470 gaming M7 AC Motherboard https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-M7-AC

It has 4 RAM slots and for at least the last year I have been running 16GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM which is made up of 4 sticks of 4GB so all slots full (ooh err).
It has performed absolutely fine, I was able to run the XMP3200 memory profile against it with no issue and so I am certain my motherboard is compatable with the speed as is my CPU as it has worked flawlessly for so long. Below is a screenshot of one of the 4GB sticks that make up the 16GB kit.

After a while I wanted to build a 2nd Ryzen system and thought I would move these 4 x 4GB sticks of Vengeance RAM to the new PC (working fine, basically a media PC) and would buy another 16GB kit for this main PC, this time 2 sticks of 8GB so leaving 2 RAM slots free in case I wanted to upgrade later. Again all working fine with the XMP3200 RAM settings without issue. Below is a screenshot of one of the 8GB sticks that make up the 16GB kit.

Now here is the problem. I'm doing a bit more video editing these days and so wanted to increase the RAM to 32GB to give me a buffer. No problem, I have 2 free RAM slots remember so I went and bought another 16GB to give me 32GB made up of 4 8GB sticks. I was careful and made sure it was exactly the same model number to match which it is but I can't seem to get it to boot with the XMP3200 profile, the best I can get out of it is 3000. Checking the timings compared to the existing kit they are exactly the same, model number exactly the same, the only difference is the RAM is made by SK Hynix, not samsung, but surely if they are the same specification it should handle the same speeds?

If I take out the 2 8GB Samsung sticks and just leave the 2 8GB Sticks of SK Hynix Corsair RAM it still wont take 3200. I'm not sure why this is, surely if the memory is rated for the speed then it should be able to handle it? Anything I can do or is it just luck of the draw with memory regardless if it is rated for the speed or not? Even the memory timings for the sticks are identical, also I updated the motherboard to the latest BIOS release.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If ram is rated for 3200 at xmp timings it has to be able to run at that, no lottery involved.

Not heard of memory manufactures causing an issue when mixed before.

Could be the imc on the chip not liking 4 sticks at its current settings, take any overclocks off the processor and try again.

Try setting dram voltage to 1.4 ?

Associate
OP
Try setting dram voltage to 1.4 ?

Thanks, just to let you know this fixed the issue for me, boots fine and plays games stable just fine. Seems odd to have to run the memory outside of the set 1.35V standard on it. I set it at 1.4 but will try and reduce it to 1.38 or something with a little more testing. Thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom